Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CM hyper 212 on i7 930 temps

Last response: in Overclocking
July 12, 2010 2:55:17 PM

Hey folks, just a curiosity. I've recently put together a new rig a few days ago and just wondering about what the average temp is with a Cool Master Hyper 212 on an i7 930. I'm currently using Real Temp to monitor the temperatures. I'm averaging around 39C-45C on idle. I see at one point it went up to about 55 maximum...probably when I was playing a game. Anybody have any tips to bring down the temps or is this just average? I just thought it would be a little cooler like around the low 30's or under. And I didn't overclock. Anyone have asolution?

I thought about reseating the hint sink but not sure if anything will change. Would re-applying the thermal paste another way make a difference? It was my first time so all I did was add a small drop and spread it around to get a thin layer on the CPU. Saw a few youtube vids for the help.
Other than that, I'll probably get some other temp monitor apps and compare. Again, if these are just average temps, then I'm happy. Thanks!

CPU: i7 930 with Hyper 212
MB: Gigabyte X58-UD3R
RAM: Corsair Dominators 6 gigs
VID CARD: ATI XFX radeon 5850
PSU: Corsair HX 750 watts
CASE: Cool Master HAF 932
PLATFORM: Windows 7

More about : hyper 212 930 temps

a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 3:02:46 PM

Run prime 95 for 15-20 minutes and see what temperature it reaches
m
l
July 12, 2010 4:40:51 PM

Your temps are not to bad. Make sure the case is ventalated properly.
m
l
Related resources
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 4:47:35 PM

Temps sound about right. The i7s are a bit hotter than i5s as they have HT and such, and my i5 750 is generally around 30 idle.

The real test tho, as simon12 said, is to run a stress test like Prime95 or Intel Burn Test/LinX/OCCT.
m
l
July 12, 2010 5:04:59 PM

I'm pretty sure my case has good ventilation. Did a lot of cable organization and made sure the fans are spinning and blowing correctly. Although, I'll do another check because the box they shipped it in was a little beatup when I recieved it.

I'll definitely try Prime95. Somebody just mentioned that to me and I have no idea what it is. Saw some quick tutorials so I shouldn't have to much of a hard time. I'll see if I can post some screen caps of Real Temp or another temp monitor software during/after the 15 minute of prime95. Try that later tonight and keep you guys posted. Thanks!
m
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 5:07:12 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The motherboard fan control usually don't works fine with cooler like the Hyper 212+.
m
l
July 12, 2010 5:32:16 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Do you mean there is no setting that I can control with the Hyper 212+ on my motherboard? I'm a bit of a rookie at this, but never knew you can set speeds or whatever for it. Is there a solution or does the heatsink just run as it is?
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 5:38:37 PM

darrenz said:
Thanks for the welcome. Do you mean there is no setting that I can control with the Hyper 212+ on my motherboard? I'm a bit of a rookie at this, but never knew you can set speeds or whatever for it. Is there a solution or does the heatsink just run as it is?

I don't know about the 212+ specifically, but if you run HWMonitor it will show you fan speed. It should ramp up with the temps. Some mobos in their BIOS have settings for fan control. It's worth looking into. If it appears to be uncontrollable, the last thing to try would be SpeedFan. And if that doesn't work, you should be able to buy a new fan for $20 or less just make sure it has the proper plug to be a CPU fan (I think 4 pin as opposed to more common 3 pin or molex).
m
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 8:09:45 PM

darrenz said:

Enter to ur BIOS and look for an option that says "CPU smart FAN control" (take a look of this page) that give to u the possibility of set the FAN to max RPM or automatic.

I always use on max RMP since the "smart FAN control" in my Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 don't works very well because I never see the fan run above 1500 rmp even on load and the stock fan of the Hyper 212+ can run at 2200rpm.
m
l
July 12, 2010 10:18:46 PM

So I went to my bios and enabled "CPU smart FAN control." I don't see much of a difference or anything but did notice the fan was spinning around 2083rpm.

I then I checked HWmonitor and Realtemp. Not to sure if I know how to read it, but seems like it isn't really accurate. If you look at the FAN section, all the rpms are below 1600 with the lowest is 712rpm. Is this right!? I thought I just noticed my cpu fan in the bios around 2083 or something.

Take a look at the temps and let me know what you think. I'll see if I can get the prime 95 results in soon.
hopefully this image link works.

http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab85/dbear123/Comput...
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 10:30:31 PM

darrenz said:
So I went to my bios and enabled "CPU smart FAN control." I don't see much of a difference or anything but did notice the fan was spinning around 2083rpm.

I then I checked HWmonitor and Realtemp. Not to sure if I know how to read it, but seems like it isn't really accurate. If you look at the FAN section, all the rpms are below 1600 with the lowest is 712rpm. Is this right!? I thought I just noticed my cpu fan in the bios around 2083 or something.

Take a look at the temps and let me know what you think. I'll see if I can get the prime 95 results in soon.
hopefully this image link works.

The key is to run a stress test and see if the RPM increases. That's what the smart fan control is all about. It keeps it slow and quiet when possible and speeds it up when your CPU is getting hot. You can try running Prime95 or Intel Burn Test or LinX or OCCT, etc.
m
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 10:31:52 PM

That's very strange the fan don't run at full speed even at that temp (41C)
m
l
July 13, 2010 12:15:38 AM

Ok, finally used prime95 for 15 minutes to get some results. Used the settings Large FFTs with HT and 4 workers....whatever all that is :) 

What do you guys think of the results? In HWmonitor, it seems all the fans aren't going above 2000rpm. Shouldn't they be able to spin faster no matter if its not stressed? I also hope I connected everything properly in their respective ports/slow on the mobo. Temps also seem to reach around 60's.

Again, hope this image link works.

m
l
July 13, 2010 12:57:41 AM

If you want lower temps you should lower your voltage until it becomes unstable. Then use the last stable voltage and you should see lower temps. (Do note: when using intel EIST etc it clocks back when idling, lowering speed& voltage. If it's stable normally doesn't mean it's stable with EIST). I'm not sure what/how many fans you are using on your Hyper212 but if possible you should use a push-pull configuration. (Pic: http://www.jacey.org/jaceyweb/jacey/ProductImages/produ... ) with the pull fan facing towards your rear exhaust. As for the apps just stick with Realtemp, it's usually right.
m
l
July 13, 2010 1:58:06 AM

I think I may skip the voltage part. Don't want to play with those as I'm not to familiar with it. I'm only using one fan on the hyper212+ and now that I think about it, I might get a second one to add on to the other side.

Push pull configurations? What do you mean by "pull the fan facing towards your rear exhaust?" Right now, the fan is facing away from the rear. Do you mean move it close to the rear?
m
l

Best solution

July 13, 2010 3:35:40 PM

A push-pull config is where you have a heatsink, such as the Hyper 212 with one fan blowing in the heatsink and another blowing out. The back of the pull fan should be facing towards the rear of your case, so it can blow out the heat. http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8582/pushpull.jpg should explain how it works. Hope this was a better explanation.

-Patrick
July 13, 2010 10:02:15 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I'll definitely give that a try with a second fan. But is it ok for both to blow towards the heatsink instead?
m
l
July 13, 2010 10:44:48 PM

I think if you use both to blow towards the heatsink you will trap the heat. Apply the pull fan (near rear exhaust) with it's back towards the rear of your case. I photoshopped another pic for you: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/458/hyper212.jpg the push fan is mounted with its back to the heatsink, the pull fan is mounted with it's front to the heatsink.

-Patrick
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2010 12:59:01 AM

darrenz said:
Ok, finally used prime95 for 15 minutes to get some results. Used the settings Large FFTs with HT and 4 workers....whatever all that is :) 

What do you guys think of the results? In HWmonitor, it seems all the fans aren't going above 2000rpm. Shouldn't they be able to spin faster no matter if its not stressed? I also hope I connected everything properly in their respective ports/slow on the mobo. Temps also seem to reach around 60's.

Again, hope this image link works.

If you want to find out the max temp of your CPU, you'll need to run EIGHT workers and SMALL FFT's. So far your temps look...fair. Your single fan should be mounted on the front of the sink blowing towards the back of the PC. If you add a second fan, have that blow towards the back of the PC as well.
m
l
July 16, 2010 7:19:46 PM

Best answer selected by darrenz.
m
l
!