Gigabyte motherboard no video

samcrowe61

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I have rebuilt a DELL Inspiron 531 with a brand new out-of-the-box Gigabyte motherboard. Motherboard is new; cpu and fan are both new out-of-the-box. I am getting no video. Even tried a PCI-e (new) Graphics card. Still no video. I do not understand why no video. I have reset the bios. Still no video. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
samcrowe61@gmail.com

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Ive have had some issue with GB boards before (thou i love them very much) Try getting a older cpu and doing a BIOS update if it turns on at that point, if not its probably a bad board. The bios update usually fixes the issue when i have these kind of problems with GB boards

samcrowe61

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I do not know from whence I received this information, but what finally worked for me is the following:
(I think this information came from your website, maybe even from Tom)

Anytime you cannot get a motherboard to post, do the following:

1) Disconnect all connectors from the motherboard except the:

a. power supply connector (main)
b. the 12 volt power connector (if there is one)
c. power switch to turn the motherboard on

Remember, all PCI cards, including PCI video card(s), must also be removed (if there is an onboard video controller).

Turn on the computer with only the above three items connected to the motherboard. Everything else connected to the motherboard must be disconnected, i.e., no other wiring connected to the motherboard at the motherboard connection points. (I am trying to be really clear on this point.)

Then, see if the computer will post; you should be able to get to the bios.

If you cannot, the motherboard is probably malfunctional.

If you can, then one by one begin adding components back to the motherboard until you cannot
get any video. Each time you add a component, and you get video, then you are good to go.

Just keep adding components ONE AT A TIME until you cannot get any video. Do you get the PICTURE?

When you cannot get any video after adding a component...BINGO!...you have found the offending component.

In my case, and I really should have known better, it was the dial-up modem. After all, the computer did suffer a lightening strike!

This is excellent information, and I really appreciated it. It has saved me a lot of grief now, and I am sure it will also save a lot of future grief! Furthermore, I am planning on testing the motherboards I have lying around to see if they might still be good!

Please post this, as it has been so beneficial to me.

Thank you so much!

Sam Crowe
samcrowe61@gmail.com

P. S., if you find any English grammar, spelling, or punctuation mistakes in this information, please let me know, as I am pretty strong on using correct English, punctuation, spelling, etc.

Thank you,

Sam

bilbat

Splendid
P. S., if you find any English grammar, spelling, or punctuation mistakes in this information, please let me know, as I am pretty strong on using correct English, punctuation, spelling, etc.

Oh my god - there's another one of me running around here! People sometimes complain about my pedantic (though they don't actually recognize that word...) posts; I blame it on being educated by nuns: at age 55, there is still a groove in the top of my skull from being 'whapped' with a triangular drafting ruler every time I mis-spoke! I do believe, however, that "You've gotta BIOS problem" is distinctly less helpful than "On BIOS page 'A', change B, C, and D; on page 'E', change F, G, and H".

...and I love lsdmeasap's disclaimer at TweakTown:
Fact: I do not know everything, make mistakes all the time and cannot spell worth a damn!