Sign in with
Your question

Don't know what I need

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2009 7:34:29 PM

i have a very old computer at home, I would like to be able to play online games and mafia wars on myspace, but my computer locks up. do I need a "gaming computer" or just a regular pc? did I mention I am not very computer savy?

More about : question

April 15, 2009 7:52:48 PM

Having never played it, I'd say anything that runs through Myspace is probably low power enough to run on anything.

That being said, if you're using something less than a Pentium 3 or 4 you should probably upgrade no matter what as internet content is becoming more demanding. Soon even "basic" sites will start to loose functionality.

If you just want to get a new computer, anything you buy new nowadays will be fine for what you are describing. You certainly do not need anything "gaming-style" for what you are describing.

Now that being said, you can get much better quality and performance if you are willing to build it yourself. You'll find more than enough help here if you want to go that route and feel comfortable doing it.

So to answer your question? A regular PC will be "fine". You can get one of those $300 Dells at Best Buy. Just remember, you get what you pay for. (and don't get a Gateway or Compaq) ;) 
April 15, 2009 7:54:46 PM

If you have a budget of 500+, buy the parts and pay a tech-savvy neighborhood kid 20 bucks to build it. You'll get more for the money.

Related resources
!