TS2 - Do you sims just quit doing anything?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 16, 2005 7:25:46 PM

Now and then I'll be playing the game and suddenly my sims will just
get very lazy. They'll stand in a room and not do anything. THey'll
get hungry and wave their arms around and point at their mouths, but
not go cook something. Or stand there with fumes coming off them and
not bother going to take a shower. Or not use the toilet, preferring
to just wet themselves.

If I specifically click to make them do what needs to be done it'll
work, but they just seem to get brain dead and won't do it on their
own.

Anyone else had this problem?

More about : ts2 sims quit

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:53:44 PM

Greg wrote:

> Now and then I'll be playing the game and suddenly my sims will just
> get very lazy. They'll stand in a room and not do anything. THey'll
> get hungry and wave their arms around and point at their mouths, but
> not go cook something. Or stand there with fumes coming off them and
> not bother going to take a shower. Or not use the toilet, preferring
> to just wet themselves.
>
> If I specifically click to make them do what needs to be done it'll
> work, but they just seem to get brain dead and won't do it on their
> own.
>
> Anyone else had this problem?

Check and see where the free will is checked or not.

-georg
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:19:35 PM

georg wrote:
> Greg wrote:
>
>> Now and then I'll be playing the game and suddenly my sims will just
>> get very lazy. They'll stand in a room and not do anything. THey'll
>> get hungry and wave their arms around and point at their mouths, but
>> not go cook something. Or stand there with fumes coming off them and
>> not bother going to take a shower. Or not use the toilet, preferring
>> to just wet themselves.
>>
>> If I specifically click to make them do what needs to be done it'll
>> work, but they just seem to get brain dead and won't do it on their
>> own.
>> Anyone else had this problem?
>

> Check and see where the free will is checked or not.
>
> -georg

I've found my Sims do what the hell they want whether Free Will is
checked or not. What's puzzling is sometimes they will do something
when you order them, and sometimes they will supercede your command with
their own, i.e., you click on them to turn on the stereo and they start
to, then stop and walk to the backyard and start playing on the swing.

--
--Cuth
Related resources

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:19:35 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
<chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've found my Sims do what the hell they want whether Free Will is
>checked or not. What's puzzling is sometimes they will do something
>when you order them, and sometimes they will supercede your command with
>their own, i.e., you click on them to turn on the stereo and they start
>to, then stop and walk to the backyard and start playing on the swing.

The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:30:35 AM

"Greg" <curly@---remove---this---insightbb.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:19:35 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
> <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>I've found my Sims do what the hell they want whether Free Will is
>>checked or not. What's puzzling is sometimes they will do something
>>when you order them, and sometimes they will supercede your command with
>>their own, i.e., you click on them to turn on the stereo and they start
>>to, then stop and walk to the backyard and start playing on the swing.
>
> The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
> Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
> in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!

You know, I wouldn't actually mind that in my game. I wouldn't mind it at
all if the worst conflict over a toddler was between trying to pottytrain
him and put him to bed, which the sims do only when the toddler is about to
fall over from fatigue.

Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I select
a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity the
toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid and
gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally everyone on
the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even when the kid
has a full hygiene bar.

And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the toddler's
being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the kid and puts
him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry the toddler
right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.

I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and when
they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny gets
frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the toddler's
action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler being
forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the buildup
of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they spoil fast).

February 17, 2005 6:59:07 AM

Greg wrote:

> The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
> Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
> in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!

Lord yes! That frustrates the heck out of me!

Laura
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:55:14 PM

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
>> Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
>> in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!
>
> You know, I wouldn't actually mind that in my game. I wouldn't mind it at
> all if the worst conflict over a toddler was between trying to pottytrain
> him and put him to bed, which the sims do only when the toddler is about
> to fall over from fatigue.
>
> Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I
> select a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity
> the toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid
> and gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally everyone
> on the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even when the
> kid has a full hygiene bar.

A bath??? Is the whole family very tidy-minded? I go crazy when they all
want to read to the child. The family being knowledge hogs.

> And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the
> toddler's being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the
> kid and puts him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry
> the toddler right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.

I am impressed. But I bet it is frustrating.

> I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and when
> they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny gets
> frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
> refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
> frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the
> toddler's action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler
> being forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the
> buildup of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they
> spoil fast).

..
Is this only in one house or is the the whole neighbourhood like that? I
don;t think I have seen any of these things.

Granny - boggling, rather.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:21:35 PM

I always turn the fridge to the wall when the nanny comes unless the kid is
actually hungry.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and when
> they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny gets
> frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
> refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
> frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the
toddler's
> action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler being
> forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the buildup
> of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they spoil
fast).

February 17, 2005 9:26:52 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:14:46 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
<cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:

>And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the toddler's
>being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the kid and puts
>him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry the toddler
>right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.

I don't know what the deal is, but some of my sims are just downright
toddler-bathing-happy. Every five minutes Steve Spazz is taking that
kid upstairs to the tub -- even if his hygiene is maxed out. Sheesh!
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:08:00 AM

It also satisfies social.

MM

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:14:46 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
> <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the
toddler's
> >being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the kid and
puts
> >him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry the toddler
> >right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.
>
> I don't know what the deal is, but some of my sims are just downright
> toddler-bathing-happy. Every five minutes Steve Spazz is taking that
> kid upstairs to the tub -- even if his hygiene is maxed out. Sheesh!
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:10:25 AM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

>>Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I
>>select a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity
>>the toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid
>>and gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally everyone
>>on the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even when the
>>kid has a full hygiene bar.
>

> A bath??? Is the whole family very tidy-minded? I go crazy when they all
> want to read to the child. The family being knowledge hogs.

I think you just hit the nail right on the head. Sims will do to the
child what they do depending on their psychological makeup. Sims with
strong family aspirations tend to pick up the child and hold him a lot.

Kind of silly, really. No matter what your inclination
(family/knowledge, etc) you still have to do certain things to a baby
regularly.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Greg wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:14:46 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
> <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the toddler's
>>being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the kid and puts
>>him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry the toddler
>>right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.
>

> I don't know what the deal is, but some of my sims are just downright
> toddler-bathing-happy. Every five minutes Steve Spazz is taking that
> kid upstairs to the tub -- even if his hygiene is maxed out. Sheesh!

God, I've never seen Sims do that. Mine always walk right past a
screaming baby/toddler who's reeking with green, diaper dirty, and go
off to watch the big screen TV or something.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
>>> Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
>>> in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!
>>
>> You know, I wouldn't actually mind that in my game. I wouldn't mind it
>> at all if the worst conflict over a toddler was between trying to
>> pottytrain him and put him to bed, which the sims do only when the
>> toddler is about to fall over from fatigue.
>>
>> Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I
>> select a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity
>> the toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid
>> and gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally
>> everyone on the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even
>> when the kid has a full hygiene bar.
>
> A bath??? Is the whole family very tidy-minded? I go crazy when they all
> want to read to the child. The family being knowledge hogs.
>>
>> And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the
>> toddler's being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the
>> kid and puts him down close to where he found him, a second sim will
>> carry the toddler right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.
>
> I am impressed. But I bet it is frustrating.
>>
>> I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and
>> when they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny
>> gets frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
>> refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
>> frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the
>> toddler's action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler
>> being forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the
>> buildup of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they
>> spoil fast).
>>
> .
> Is this only in one house or is the the whole neighbourhood like that? I
> don;t think I have seen any of these things.

No, although, obviously, it only occurs in families that have toddlers and
baths. Also, there are a few sim actions that the sim can't choose to
cancel himself (mostly related to skill-building) so if a sim is engaged in
that activity, he can't choose to bathe the idle toddler. This makes
smaller families easier to contend with, since, say, the two sims who would
bathe the toddler are more likely to both be engaged in said activities. So
generally it happens in families with more than three teens or adults, who
also frequently have enough room in their house to have baths in their
bathrooms. (Although it does happen in a family in a small house with just
the parents and one toddler, all I really need for it to show up is a bath
and a toddler on the lot)

There is no personality issue involved. It's not done exclusively by sims
who have high or modest neat points. It strikes me very much as "I have
nothing to do, well, might as well give the kid a bath!" To clarify,
though, they won't wake up a sleeping toddler to do this, but that's not any
different from other behaviors, for they also won't wake up a sleeping
toddler to feed him or read to him either.

I do occasionally get the "I want to read to the kid" desires as well from
adults and teens (mostly teens), which never works, as the toddler's always
involved in something else, which cancels the action. "Something else" can
constitute the kid playing in the toilet (I don't understand why the
programmers decided to not have the sims have a problem with that when they
see that happening. I mean, the toddlers do that with clogged and unflushed
toilets, which is just about the most revolting thing imaginable) or a sim
lined up to give the kid a bath.

As for nannies, I've found that they often get stuck on one particular
thing, and there's nothing to break them away from it until they finish it.
If they get on a cleaning binge or a chess playing binge, the kid could
starve to death for all they care, although I think "feed the kid if his
hunger motive is this low" probably is the primary motivation of all the
nanny's capabilities, so she'd have to be playing chess or cleaning for a
while for such a thing to happen.

February 19, 2005 12:54:42 AM

> There is no personality issue involved. It's not done exclusively by sims
> who have high or modest neat points. It strikes me very much as "I have
> nothing to do, well, might as well give the kid a bath!" To clarify,
> though, they won't wake up a sleeping toddler to do this, but that's not
> any different from other behaviors, for they also won't wake up a sleeping
> toddler to feed him or read to him either.

I copped a glitch in the making just now with a baby and two Sims
conflicting desires.
Daddy was told to build up those cuddle points after feeding a bottle to
small thing. Mummy marched into the room, removed baby mid-cuddle and
plonked it in the crib.
During this daddy's arm did a windmill and stuck, pointing backwards with
his wrist bent at rightangles. Looked nasty.
'Go to the loo,' said I, hoping it would cure him. He ignored me! Ignored me
and went and picked up the used bottle, disposed of it, then decided to take
out trash and his arm returned to normal as he hoiked out the trash bag..
Mummy-dear, by this time, was on the pinball machine again.

> I do occasionally get the "I want to read to the kid" desires as well from
> adults and teens (mostly teens), which never works, as the toddler's
> always involved in something else, which cancels the action. "Something
> else" can constitute the kid playing in the toilet (I don't understand why
> the programmers decided to not have the sims have a problem with that when
> they see that happening. I mean, the toddlers do that with clogged and
> unflushed toilets, which is just about the most revolting thing
> imaginable) or a sim lined up to give the kid a bath.

Obviously someone thought it was cute. I am tight-lipped about it, knowing
well what ookum, cutey habits can lead to. About as appealing as programing
a toddler to go and play in the kitty-litter tray or put his used potty on
his head.
yeah, toddlers do this sort of thing, I know. But finding it 'cute?'
Boggle.

> As for nannies,

I avoid them. I hire them not. They shall not pass my doorframe. Ever.

GCA.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:33:04 AM

>> As for nannies,
>
> I avoid them. I hire them not. They shall not pass my doorframe. Ever.
>
> GCA.

When I played Brandi Broke, I had to kaching her a time or two so she could
hire a nanny. It's the only way I could let the poor thing get any rest at
all! What a ditz! And she's still wanting more babies. I feel sorry for
her son, Dustin. That kid can't catch a break at all. I stopped playing
them when it was painfully obvious that his grades were going to send the
social worker to the house any minute. I know they are just sims, but I
can't bear the thought of having children carted off by the county
authorities! LOL

Jeanie
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 3:35:35 AM

>>> I just don't see that happening, and they even coded a "scold" action
>>> into the game, so it's amazing they didn't apply it in this
>>> circumstance.
>>>
>> What 'scold' action!!!!! I have never seen 'scold'. I wanna scold!
>>

> It's not something you can direct a sim to do, it's an autonomous action,
> and it's pretty uncommon.

Hold on... Hold on!! I remember. yes!!! I had the option once only.

> Sometimes, when a sim breaks an item like a computer or a shower, another
> sim, usually one with higher mechanical skill, will scold the sim who
> broke the item. This seems much more likely to happen on days where the
> repairman came over to fix items earlier.

Right. 8) It was a know-all Sim who had a nag at his wife. 8)))

> Here's one you can induce: Get the cheapest shower available and have one
> sim use it, preferably a grouchy sim. While said sim is using the shower,
> have another sim flush the toilet. The sim in the shower will be scalded,
> jump out of the shower and light into the sim who flushed the toilet.
> It's an amusing interaction, and it only works on the cheapest shower,
> from my experience.

THAT was the time!!!!! ;) ))
But I did have her go back in a flush the toilet again, then run and jump
in the swimming pool.
Always a safe place to hide after telescoping during the day.
A race between the enraged Sim and the peeker.

Granny.
February 21, 2005 2:05:04 PM

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I occasionally get the broken arm thingy. It seems to stem from the sim
> having a specific action cancelled at just the wrong moment, which can
> either freeze his arms in place or having his arms go in crazy directions.
> Come to think of it, I see the latter only after said sim handed off a
> toddler/baby to another sim. The cocked-arm from playing chess and the
> frozen-face from dancing are the two I most commonly get.

Well I had a sim walking around not holding her baby..... but the baby
actually hovering just in front of mummy whilst she cooked, and did various
other things... It wasn't until daddy got home from work and went to
interact with the baby that she was normal again...lol

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 2:05:05 PM

"jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> Well I had a sim walking around not holding her baby..... but the baby
> actually hovering just in front of mummy whilst she cooked, and did
> various other things... It wasn't until daddy got home from work and went
> to interact with the baby that she was normal again...lol
>
> ~ jo

Lor. You had a psychic baby, levitating. Remember, if you read it, that time
one of my toddlers developed telkinthasis? She was sitting at one side of
the room playing with air and the xylophone stick was hammering hell out of
the keys at the other side of the room.

I first noticed this when the teddy bear started jumping up and down all by
itself. Wow!!!
I was impressed. But it didn;t last, drat it.

Granny.
!