TS2 - Do you sims just quit doing anything?

Now and then I'll be playing the game and suddenly my sims will just
get very lazy. They'll stand in a room and not do anything. THey'll
get hungry and wave their arms around and point at their mouths, but
not go cook something. Or stand there with fumes coming off them and
not bother going to take a shower. Or not use the toilet, preferring
to just wet themselves.

If I specifically click to make them do what needs to be done it'll
work, but they just seem to get brain dead and won't do it on their
own.

Anyone else had this problem?
17 answers Last reply
More about sims quit anything

    Greg wrote:

    > Now and then I'll be playing the game and suddenly my sims will just
    > get very lazy. They'll stand in a room and not do anything. THey'll
    > get hungry and wave their arms around and point at their mouths, but
    > not go cook something. Or stand there with fumes coming off them and
    > not bother going to take a shower. Or not use the toilet, preferring
    > to just wet themselves.
    >
    > If I specifically click to make them do what needs to be done it'll
    > work, but they just seem to get brain dead and won't do it on their
    > own.
    >
    > Anyone else had this problem?

    Check and see where the free will is checked or not.

    -georg

    georg wrote:
    > Greg wrote:
    >
    >> Now and then I'll be playing the game and suddenly my sims will just
    >> get very lazy. They'll stand in a room and not do anything. THey'll
    >> get hungry and wave their arms around and point at their mouths, but
    >> not go cook something. Or stand there with fumes coming off them and
    >> not bother going to take a shower. Or not use the toilet, preferring
    >> to just wet themselves.
    >>
    >> If I specifically click to make them do what needs to be done it'll
    >> work, but they just seem to get brain dead and won't do it on their
    >> own.
    >> Anyone else had this problem?
    >

    > Check and see where the free will is checked or not.
    >
    > -georg

    I've found my Sims do what the hell they want whether Free Will is
    checked or not. What's puzzling is sometimes they will do something
    when you order them, and sometimes they will supercede your command with
    their own, i.e., you click on them to turn on the stereo and they start
    to, then stop and walk to the backyard and start playing on the swing.

    --
    --Cuth

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:19:35 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
    <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >I've found my Sims do what the hell they want whether Free Will is
    >checked or not. What's puzzling is sometimes they will do something
    >when you order them, and sometimes they will supercede your command with
    >their own, i.e., you click on them to turn on the stereo and they start
    >to, then stop and walk to the backyard and start playing on the swing.

    The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
    Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
    in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!

    "Greg" <curly@---remove---this---insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:19:35 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
    > <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I've found my Sims do what the hell they want whether Free Will is
    >>checked or not. What's puzzling is sometimes they will do something
    >>when you order them, and sometimes they will supercede your command with
    >>their own, i.e., you click on them to turn on the stereo and they start
    >>to, then stop and walk to the backyard and start playing on the swing.
    >
    > The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
    > Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
    > in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!

    You know, I wouldn't actually mind that in my game. I wouldn't mind it at
    all if the worst conflict over a toddler was between trying to pottytrain
    him and put him to bed, which the sims do only when the toddler is about to
    fall over from fatigue.

    Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I select
    a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity the
    toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid and
    gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally everyone on
    the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even when the kid
    has a full hygiene bar.

    And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the toddler's
    being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the kid and puts
    him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry the toddler
    right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.

    I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and when
    they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny gets
    frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
    refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
    frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the toddler's
    action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler being
    forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the buildup
    of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they spoil fast).

    Greg wrote:

    > The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
    > Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
    > in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!

    Lord yes! That frustrates the heck out of me!

    Laura

    "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
    >> Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
    >> in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!
    >
    > You know, I wouldn't actually mind that in my game. I wouldn't mind it at
    > all if the worst conflict over a toddler was between trying to pottytrain
    > him and put him to bed, which the sims do only when the toddler is about
    > to fall over from fatigue.
    >
    > Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I
    > select a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity
    > the toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid
    > and gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally everyone
    > on the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even when the
    > kid has a full hygiene bar.

    A bath??? Is the whole family very tidy-minded? I go crazy when they all
    want to read to the child. The family being knowledge hogs.

    > And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the
    > toddler's being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the
    > kid and puts him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry
    > the toddler right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.

    I am impressed. But I bet it is frustrating.

    > I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and when
    > they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny gets
    > frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
    > refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
    > frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the
    > toddler's action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler
    > being forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the
    > buildup of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they
    > spoil fast).

    ..
    Is this only in one house or is the the whole neighbourhood like that? I
    don;t think I have seen any of these things.

    Granny - boggling, rather.

    I always turn the fridge to the wall when the nanny comes unless the kid is
    actually hungry.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and when
    > they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny gets
    > frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
    > refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
    > frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the
    toddler's
    > action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler being
    > forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the buildup
    > of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they spoil
    fast).

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:14:46 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
    <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the toddler's
    >being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the kid and puts
    >him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry the toddler
    >right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.

    I don't know what the deal is, but some of my sims are just downright
    toddler-bathing-happy. Every five minutes Steve Spazz is taking that
    kid upstairs to the tub -- even if his hygiene is maxed out. Sheesh!

    It also satisfies social.

    MM

    Granny Crabapple wrote:

    >>Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I
    >>select a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity
    >>the toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid
    >>and gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally everyone
    >>on the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even when the
    >>kid has a full hygiene bar.
    >

    > A bath??? Is the whole family very tidy-minded? I go crazy when they all
    > want to read to the child. The family being knowledge hogs.

    I think you just hit the nail right on the head. Sims will do to the
    child what they do depending on their psychological makeup. Sims with
    strong family aspirations tend to pick up the child and hold him a lot.

    Kind of silly, really. No matter what your inclination
    (family/knowledge, etc) you still have to do certain things to a baby
    regularly.

    --
    --Cuth

    Greg wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:14:46 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
    > <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the toddler's
    >>being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the kid and puts
    >>him down close to where he found him, a second sim will carry the toddler
    >>right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.
    >

    > I don't know what the deal is, but some of my sims are just downright
    > toddler-bathing-happy. Every five minutes Steve Spazz is taking that
    > kid upstairs to the tub -- even if his hygiene is maxed out. Sheesh!

    God, I've never seen Sims do that. Mine always walk right past a
    screaming baby/toddler who's reeking with green, diaper dirty, and go
    off to watch the big screen TV or something.

    --
    --Cuth

    "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> The *worst* is when you've got two parents fussing over a toddler.
    >>> Tell one to potty train him, and the other picks him up and puts him
    >>> in the crib. GRRRR!!!! What a pain in the butt!
    >>
    >> You know, I wouldn't actually mind that in my game. I wouldn't mind it
    >> at all if the worst conflict over a toddler was between trying to
    >> pottytrain him and put him to bed, which the sims do only when the
    >> toddler is about to fall over from fatigue.
    >>
    >> Instead, when I decide that the toddler needs to use the potty, and I
    >> select a parent to train him, I also need to click off whatever activity
    >> the toddler's engaged in, or else the parent just stands there by the kid
    >> and gives up. When I click off the toddler's activity, literally
    >> everyone on the lot makes a beeline for the kid to give him a bath, even
    >> when the kid has a full hygiene bar.
    >
    > A bath??? Is the whole family very tidy-minded? I go crazy when they all
    > want to read to the child. The family being knowledge hogs.
    >>
    >> And it gets worse, because sometimes the sims mill around when the
    >> toddler's being bathed, so that when the first sim gets done bathing the
    >> kid and puts him down close to where he found him, a second sim will
    >> carry the toddler right back to the bathroom to give him another bath.
    >
    > I am impressed. But I bet it is frustrating.
    >>
    >> I also hate how the nannies try to feed the toddler all the time, and
    >> when they try to do it when the toddler's occupied playing, the nanny
    >> gets frustrated, drops the bottle on the floor, goes right back to the
    >> refrigerator to get another bottle for the kid, which she also drops in
    >> frustration, *and will continue doing this* until I cancel out the
    >> toddler's action, which of course will result immediately in the toddler
    >> being forcefed by the nanny, even if he's not hungry, not to mention the
    >> buildup of bottles on the floor where the toddler was playing (and they
    >> spoil fast).
    >>
    > .
    > Is this only in one house or is the the whole neighbourhood like that? I
    > don;t think I have seen any of these things.

    No, although, obviously, it only occurs in families that have toddlers and
    baths. Also, there are a few sim actions that the sim can't choose to
    cancel himself (mostly related to skill-building) so if a sim is engaged in
    that activity, he can't choose to bathe the idle toddler. This makes
    smaller families easier to contend with, since, say, the two sims who would
    bathe the toddler are more likely to both be engaged in said activities. So
    generally it happens in families with more than three teens or adults, who
    also frequently have enough room in their house to have baths in their
    bathrooms. (Although it does happen in a family in a small house with just
    the parents and one toddler, all I really need for it to show up is a bath
    and a toddler on the lot)

    There is no personality issue involved. It's not done exclusively by sims
    who have high or modest neat points. It strikes me very much as "I have
    nothing to do, well, might as well give the kid a bath!" To clarify,
    though, they won't wake up a sleeping toddler to do this, but that's not any
    different from other behaviors, for they also won't wake up a sleeping
    toddler to feed him or read to him either.

    I do occasionally get the "I want to read to the kid" desires as well from
    adults and teens (mostly teens), which never works, as the toddler's always
    involved in something else, which cancels the action. "Something else" can
    constitute the kid playing in the toilet (I don't understand why the
    programmers decided to not have the sims have a problem with that when they
    see that happening. I mean, the toddlers do that with clogged and unflushed
    toilets, which is just about the most revolting thing imaginable) or a sim
    lined up to give the kid a bath.

    As for nannies, I've found that they often get stuck on one particular
    thing, and there's nothing to break them away from it until they finish it.
    If they get on a cleaning binge or a chess playing binge, the kid could
    starve to death for all they care, although I think "feed the kid if his
    hunger motive is this low" probably is the primary motivation of all the
    nanny's capabilities, so she'd have to be playing chess or cleaning for a
    while for such a thing to happen.

    > There is no personality issue involved. It's not done exclusively by sims
    > who have high or modest neat points. It strikes me very much as "I have
    > nothing to do, well, might as well give the kid a bath!" To clarify,
    > though, they won't wake up a sleeping toddler to do this, but that's not
    > any different from other behaviors, for they also won't wake up a sleeping
    > toddler to feed him or read to him either.

    I copped a glitch in the making just now with a baby and two Sims
    conflicting desires.
    Daddy was told to build up those cuddle points after feeding a bottle to
    small thing. Mummy marched into the room, removed baby mid-cuddle and
    plonked it in the crib.
    During this daddy's arm did a windmill and stuck, pointing backwards with
    his wrist bent at rightangles. Looked nasty.
    'Go to the loo,' said I, hoping it would cure him. He ignored me! Ignored me
    and went and picked up the used bottle, disposed of it, then decided to take
    out trash and his arm returned to normal as he hoiked out the trash bag..
    Mummy-dear, by this time, was on the pinball machine again.

    > I do occasionally get the "I want to read to the kid" desires as well from
    > adults and teens (mostly teens), which never works, as the toddler's
    > always involved in something else, which cancels the action. "Something
    > else" can constitute the kid playing in the toilet (I don't understand why
    > the programmers decided to not have the sims have a problem with that when
    > they see that happening. I mean, the toddlers do that with clogged and
    > unflushed toilets, which is just about the most revolting thing
    > imaginable) or a sim lined up to give the kid a bath.

    Obviously someone thought it was cute. I am tight-lipped about it, knowing
    well what ookum, cutey habits can lead to. About as appealing as programing
    a toddler to go and play in the kitty-litter tray or put his used potty on
    his head.
    yeah, toddlers do this sort of thing, I know. But finding it 'cute?'
    Boggle.

    > As for nannies,

    I avoid them. I hire them not. They shall not pass my doorframe. Ever.

    GCA.

    >> As for nannies,
    >
    > I avoid them. I hire them not. They shall not pass my doorframe. Ever.
    >
    > GCA.

    When I played Brandi Broke, I had to kaching her a time or two so she could
    hire a nanny. It's the only way I could let the poor thing get any rest at
    all! What a ditz! And she's still wanting more babies. I feel sorry for
    her son, Dustin. That kid can't catch a break at all. I stopped playing
    them when it was painfully obvious that his grades were going to send the
    social worker to the house any minute. I know they are just sims, but I
    can't bear the thought of having children carted off by the county
    authorities! LOL

    Jeanie

    >>> I just don't see that happening, and they even coded a "scold" action
    >>> into the game, so it's amazing they didn't apply it in this
    >>> circumstance.
    >>>
    >> What 'scold' action!!!!! I have never seen 'scold'. I wanna scold!
    >>

    > It's not something you can direct a sim to do, it's an autonomous action,
    > and it's pretty uncommon.

    Hold on... Hold on!! I remember. yes!!! I had the option once only.

    > Sometimes, when a sim breaks an item like a computer or a shower, another
    > sim, usually one with higher mechanical skill, will scold the sim who
    > broke the item. This seems much more likely to happen on days where the
    > repairman came over to fix items earlier.

    Right. 8) It was a know-all Sim who had a nag at his wife. 8)))

    > Here's one you can induce: Get the cheapest shower available and have one
    > sim use it, preferably a grouchy sim. While said sim is using the shower,
    > have another sim flush the toilet. The sim in the shower will be scalded,
    > jump out of the shower and light into the sim who flushed the toilet.
    > It's an amusing interaction, and it only works on the cheapest shower,
    > from my experience.

    THAT was the time!!!!! ;)))
    But I did have her go back in a flush the toilet again, then run and jump
    in the swimming pool.
    Always a safe place to hide after telescoping during the day.
    A race between the enraged Sim and the peeker.

    Granny.

    "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I occasionally get the broken arm thingy. It seems to stem from the sim
    > having a specific action cancelled at just the wrong moment, which can
    > either freeze his arms in place or having his arms go in crazy directions.
    > Come to think of it, I see the latter only after said sim handed off a
    > toddler/baby to another sim. The cocked-arm from playing chess and the
    > frozen-face from dancing are the two I most commonly get.

    Well I had a sim walking around not holding her baby..... but the baby
    actually hovering just in front of mummy whilst she cooked, and did various
    other things... It wasn't until daddy got home from work and went to
    interact with the baby that she was normal again...lol

    ~ jo

    http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

    "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

    > Well I had a sim walking around not holding her baby..... but the baby
    > actually hovering just in front of mummy whilst she cooked, and did
    > various other things... It wasn't until daddy got home from work and went
    > to interact with the baby that she was normal again...lol
    >
    > ~ jo

    Lor. You had a psychic baby, levitating. Remember, if you read it, that time
    one of my toddlers developed telkinthasis? She was sitting at one side of
    the room playing with air and the xylophone stick was hammering hell out of
    the keys at the other side of the room.

    I first noticed this when the teddy bear started jumping up and down all by
    itself. Wow!!!
    I was impressed. But it didn;t last, drat it.

    Granny.

Sims Games Video Games