Sign in with
Your question

Only a flashing cursor at left top of screen in windows xp home

Last response: in Windows XP
June 23, 2011 4:38:21 PM

Hello,
I have an ASUS laptop running winxp home. After a rootkit virus warning, blocked by Avast antivirus, the next day I have only a blinking cursor at top left of screen. Please help ASAP. I reinstalled windows from a cd but still same problem. Tried Bit defender linux booting from cd and the data files are accessable.
June 23, 2011 6:56:50 PM

Run a good anti-virus program and remove the rootkit if it is still there. Did you reformat your hard drive before you reinstalled windows? this should have removed the rootkit.
June 23, 2011 11:57:35 PM

I ran bit defender booted from cd, as I cannot get to windows. It found 6 infected files which were quarintined, and disinfected. I then selected fix and rescanned the hdd. This time around it showed 0 infected files. However, I still cannot get to windows when I boot from the internal HDD. I do not want to format the drive as I have word docs, pictures etc. which I need to recover. I followed another users advice and reinstalled xp choosin option 1 as advised. Note bit defender run from cd shows the files. Note: I selected cd as boot device to run bit deffender
June 24, 2011 12:00:19 AM

almartin said:
Run a good anti-virus program and remove the rootkit if it is still there. Did you reformat your hard drive before you reinstalled windows? this should have removed the rootkit.

!