Sign in with
Your question

Only a flashing cursor at left top of screen in windows xp home

Last response: in Windows XP
June 23, 2011 4:38:21 PM

Hello,
I have an ASUS laptop running winxp home. After a rootkit virus warning, blocked by Avast antivirus, the next day I have only a blinking cursor at top left of screen. Please help ASAP. I reinstalled windows from a cd but still same problem. Tried Bit defender linux booting from cd and the data files are accessable.
June 23, 2011 6:56:50 PM

Run a good anti-virus program and remove the rootkit if it is still there. Did you reformat your hard drive before you reinstalled windows? this should have removed the rootkit.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:57:35 PM

I ran bit defender booted from cd, as I cannot get to windows. It found 6 infected files which were quarintined, and disinfected. I then selected fix and rescanned the hdd. This time around it showed 0 infected files. However, I still cannot get to windows when I boot from the internal HDD. I do not want to format the drive as I have word docs, pictures etc. which I need to recover. I followed another users advice and reinstalled xp choosin option 1 as advised. Note bit defender run from cd shows the files. Note: I selected cd as boot device to run bit deffender
m
l
June 24, 2011 12:00:19 AM

almartin said:
Run a good anti-virus program and remove the rootkit if it is still there. Did you reformat your hard drive before you reinstalled windows? this should have removed the rootkit.

m
l
!