Sign in with
Your question

Phenom X4: to overclock or not to overclock?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Phenom
Last response: in Overclocking
July 12, 2010 3:33:11 PM

OPTION 1
AMD Phenom 965 @3.4Ghz
+ stock fan

OPTION 2 (costs $60 more than option 1)
AMD Phenom 955 @ 3.2Ghz
+ Arctic cooling MX-3 thermal paste
+ Scythe Mugen 2

Both options have
Ati Radeon HD5770
4GB DDR3 RAM
2 80mm case fans (rear/side push-pull configuration)
1 120mm HDD fan
575W Logisys PSU
3 SATA2 HDDs
Asus ATX mobo (can't remember model name)

What stable clock can I achieve with option 2 and is the performance gain for CPU-intensive games (M&B, sims 3, gta 4 etc) worth the extra $60?

Thanks

More about : phenom overclock overclock

July 12, 2010 3:54:24 PM

You should be able to hit 3.8 or 3.9. On my unlocked 555BE I had 4 cores running at 3800Mhz but one of the cores was unstable in games. So now I have a tri-core running at 3900Mhz on just the multiplier alone. With a TX3 cooler my temps under load are at ~56C (Kinda hot, high ambient temp). Go for the BE, you won't be disappointed in the overclockability if that's what you want to do.
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 6:56:01 PM

I second that, option #2 will be better for you in the long run, stock cooling will only allow for so much OC, and then your chip will be running hot as hell. 3.8ghz is a reasonably stable OC expectation with a decent mobo (asus generally are decent), with a chance for 3.9, or really slim 4.0 stable chance. The 965s will usually have a higher ceiling, so my experience might be relative. I run 4.0ghz stable at 1.48v, but only when the window unit AC is on, hah. My normal daily OC is in my sig along with my system.

I am able to run my 965 at 3.6ghz and .025v below normal, CnQ enabled; that sort of configuration might be doable if you take option 1, and probably wouldn't be too hard on the stock hsf, being undervolted and all.
Related resources
a c 295 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 7:37:03 PM

Hi.

The 965 is the same 955 but with a higher multiplier so, go with the 955 and u can change the cooler for a Hyper 212+ that can give u very solid performance for fewer price.
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 7:45:25 PM

While they are the same, it is generally believed that the 965s are higher binned chips. It is not a written law or anything, but there it is, anyhow, hah.
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 8:04:14 PM

Why are these the options? You can get the 965 and an aftermarket cooler for $60 to make the prices equal...

But anyway, if that's the limit of your options then yeah take option 2.
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 9:42:07 PM

Option 2 but I would ditch the Mugen for a 212+ or similar cooler, the Mugen is just to bulky for what it does.
July 13, 2010 8:03:47 AM

coalesce said:
You should be able to hit 3.8 or 3.9. On my unlocked 555BE I had 4 cores running at 3800Mhz but one of the cores was unstable in games.

Lol. Didn't know that each core had a mind of its own.

Quote:
Option 2 but I would ditch the Mugen for a 212+ or similar cooler, the Mugen is just to bulky for what it does.

That was my major concern. mugen2 looks like some form of motherboard cancer :??: 

I've decided to go for a 212+/965/MX-3 paste combo at ewiz.com. At $200, it looks like a sweet deal. Thanks for the advice everyone.
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 2:13:47 PM

Just FYI the 555BE isn't a quad core, so he unlocked the "extra cores" that were binned as being unstable and disabled by AMD.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 2:16:02 PM

wolfram23 said:
Just FYI the 555BE isn't a quad core, so he unlocked the "extra cores" that were binned as being unstable and disabled by AMD.

Or it was a completely capable quad disabled to fulfill demand. Production returns only go up over time, and cheaper chips always sell better than expensive chips. It is only logical to assume that many perfectly capable quads are being locked down to meet demand of the higher volume chips. All Phenom IIs start as quads, afterall.
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 2:18:35 PM

JofaMang said:
Or it was a completely capable quad disabled to fulfill demand. Production returns only go up over time, and cheaper chips always sell better than expensive chips. It is only logical to assume that many perfectly capable quads are being locked down to meet demand of the higher volume chips. All Phenom IIs start as quads, afterall.

Well, yes, that is entirely possible. However, coalesce did state that one core was unstable.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 2:20:09 PM

Indeed he did, hah, my bad.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 2:40:43 PM

coalesce said:
You should be able to hit 3.8 or 3.9. On my unlocked 555BE I had 4 cores running at 3800Mhz but one of the cores was unstable in games. So now I have a tri-core running at 3900Mhz on just the multiplier alone. With acooler my temps under load are at ~56C (Kinda hot, high ambient temp). Go for the BE, you won't be disappointed in the overclockability if that's what you want to do.

Just to clear things up for this thread and its users :D 

There is no such thing as an unstable core, it is either stable or faulty, what I mean by this is that if you unlock you cores and the computer passes at least 2-3 hours of LARGE FFT"S (prime) then the cores are pretty much good to go. If you game and one of your cores crashes it does not mean its faulty, it means that it either needs more voltage or it is overheating. I have dealt with many CPU's that unlock to a TRI or QUAD, when the 3rd or 4th core is faulty it usually crashes in the first 5 seconds of prime no matter what size the FFt's you decide to run.

The TX-3 is not the best cooler you want for an x4, its basically a cooler that does a very good job with dual and TRI's but when it comes to quads you need more heat-pipes and a bigger fan.

My 2 cents...

July 13, 2010 4:04:34 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

Out of curiosity however, say budget wasn't a constraint, what air cooler/heatsink would you guys recommend? (purely curiosity of course hehe).
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 4:08:32 PM

I'd love a Megahalems or w/e it's called. Those are pretty awesome. I went and spent too much for a only decent cooler because I was too hasty and didn't do enough research. Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. Don't get me wrong, it works quite well, but based on benchmarks it's not up to par with similar priced units.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 4:17:44 PM

L0tus said:
Thanks for clearing that up.

Out of curiosity however, say budget wasn't a constraint, what air cooler/heatsink would you guys recommend? (purely curiosity of course hehe).

Personally I would with a 212+ as long as you can get for around 45.00$ shipped, if not the Thermaltake Frio or Noctua NH-UL2P will do the job but will cost you around 60/70.00$. If money is not an issue than the mega or true with push pull fans ;) 
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 5:21:03 PM

According to frostytech who look like they know what there doing the Spire Thermax Eclipse II SP984B1-V2 is the best air cooler money can buy for both AMD & Intel platforms. The only problem is I can't find it anywhere so maybe the best money can't buy. See http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 5:26:20 PM

The problem with many of the HSF review sites, is that they use synthetic benches. While this is great for consistency even over a long period of time and platform changes, it is a simulated situation, and not truly indicative of normal operating circumstances.

In theory, an HSF can be made for the synthetic testing, and work poorly in the real world. FrostyTech is a great reference site, but I don't hold their order as law. If an HSF shows up in the top 20, it is probably a pretty solid unit. Being at the top of the list doesn't mean much more to me than being in the top 10.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 5:35:05 PM

JofaMang said:
The problem with many of the HSF review sites, is that they use synthetic benches. While this is great for consistency even over a long period of time and platform changes, it is a simulated situation, and not truly indicative of normal operating circumstances.

In theory, an HSF can be made for the synthetic testing, and work poorly in the real world. FrostyTech is a great reference site, but I don't hold their order as law. If an HSF shows up in the top 20, it is probably a pretty solid unit. Being at the top of the list doesn't mean much more to me than being in the top 10.

+1

Frosty's list is all over the place, and the fact that it changes the order every now n then. I also do not recommend going by frosty's top 10 coolers. The 212+ and the noctua U12P have proven to be among the top 10 coolers and they didn't even make the list.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 5:37:47 PM

simon12 said:
According to frostytech who look like they know what there doing the Spire Thermax Eclipse II SP984B1-V2 is the best air cooler money can buy for both AMD & Intel platforms. The only problem is I can't find it anywhere so maybe the best money can't buy. See http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...

You cannot find it because it is not sold in the states, same goes for the BOSS II and BADA ;) 

These are normally sold in the UK/Japan.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 5:47:55 PM

I am in the UK and I can't find it
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 5:58:29 PM

go to the manufacturers website and you will find out where it's sold =)
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 9:50:42 PM

Already tried only people in Europe are in Holland and none currently have it on there website (As far as I can tell in Dutch). There is one of the older V1 versions on Ebay thats it. Coolerguys.com sell it in the US but are out of stock. If anyone reads this thread has ever seen one please tell us what you know of it and where you can get it. I might contact Spire and try to get some to sell in the UK.
!