Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD error, Phenom 9950 BE mild OC

Last response: in Overclocking
July 12, 2010 4:38:28 PM

Hey everyone, i have been trying a mild overclock on my Phenom 9950 BE and Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo. This is my first attempt at it. I was just going to get it up to 3.0 GHz and leave it there until i learn more about overclocking.

I have only adjusted the multiplier so far. X14 was stable. Ran AMD Overdrive stress test all night, no problems at all. I have also ran Memtest all night before i started this and that worked out well too.

Got up to X15 multiplier and everything seems to work fine. Graphics intensive fps games still play great. I ran a couple benchmarks (X2 the Threat, AMD Overdrive benchmark, ) but on 3DMark05 Pro it gives a BSOD error. "A clock interupt was not recieved on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval". Computer boots back up fine afterwards. Cooler is working fine and temps have not gotten over 51c. I still have yet to stress test this X15 OC. Just trying to figure out a possible fix before i go too far.

I did a Google search and found a person suggested a bump in VCore. Could this be what it needs? Some threads here say bump it up and others recommend leaving it in auto. I still have the System Voltage Control set to auto right now. It is running the CPU @ 1.25v. Would a manual bump up to 1.3v be recommended?

Another search recommended a Microsoft hotfix but i suspect it may be a voltage issue as i never had the BSOD error before i started OC'ing.

I have been running Everest System Stability Test (which streeses the cores to 100%) for 3 hours now with no problems there. It just seems to be the 3DMark05 program that causes the BSOD so far.
My specs:
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo - bios version F4
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition 125W
Nvidea GTX 260
Sound Blaster X-FI Elite Pro
Corsair Dominator DDRII 4090 MB 1066
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HD
Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler
Enermax Liberty 620W PSU

Best solution

a c 100 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 4:45:03 PM

You should almost always set the voltage manually. It takes a bit of learning/experimenting to get it right, but you can never be sure how auto will work. Use whatever auto sets it to as a guideline. But yes, you need more vcore to get it stable.

As an example with my i5 750, I allowed it to be on auto while OCing just to see how good auto really is. The OC procedure is different on these i cores but anyway, the base clock starts at 133. Auto worked fine up to 165 base clock. After that, I had to manually increase it above the auto setting. I believe the reason is to do with efficiency. At lower clocks auto will be overvolting a little, at some unspecific speed the voltage will be just right, and over that it starts to be undervolting, all due to the CPU being less and less efficient at higher clocks.

Anyway, yes, a boost to vcore should fix the BSOD. I would try increments of 0.02V until stable. If you jump to 1.3V, and it's stable, you would ideally then want to decrease it to get it optimal... so simply taking smaller steps should help fine tuning.
July 13, 2010 2:45:41 AM

it sounds like that core thats giving grief needs a little more voltage, if you have a SB510 or higher try disabling the core thats giving grief
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 7:08:48 AM

WELL WAT I THINK THAT AMD PHENOM 9950 WASN'T MADE RIGHT FOR OVERCLOCKING CAUSE A 965 OVERCLOCKS EASILY
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:58:53 PM

Best answer selected by Iowabucks.
m
l
!