Having trouble with my new build

Sk1n

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Hopefully this is the right forum for this.

Just got the last of my components from Tiger Direct yesterday and started my build last night. I hooked everything up as the case instructions and MOBO instructions said. At first I didn't get any power. Unplugged the 24 pin power and plugged it back in. I got case fan power and CPU power, but no video or anything else, including temperature LCD or the HDD LED or System LED on the front of the case. I went to bed and when I woke up, didn't even get that anymore. I have a blue LED light on at the top right hand corner of the MOBO, but nothing else. I have tried disconnecting every cable to it and reattaching and still no change. At a loss of what to do. Already spent 800ish bucks on it and not wanting to take it to a shop and pay even more in labor costs. Any suggestions?

Here's my hardware.

Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 Motherboard OEM
APEVIA X-JUPITER JR.CASE S TYPE-BLACK
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
Sony Optiarc 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7220S - OEM

And if it matters, my OS is going to be

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2C 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

Hopefully someone knows what might be wrong. Kind of frustrating with a huge expensive paper weight.

Unplug everything except CPU/HSF, 1 DIMM RAM in slot 1 and the video card. Unplug all the case fans, optical drives, hard drives, PCI cards sound etc. Try to get to BIOS. In BIOS set the RAM voltage to Mfg. specs. Plug in the drives, fans etc. from there.

So benchtest the system with the following:

CPU.HSF
1 DIMM RAM in slot 1
Video card

The 680i is well known for it's stability problems. If the bench tst doesn't work, you might want to try a more stable board.

Sk1n

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Still no luck. I have just the 8 pin CPU power plugged in, the 24 pin mobo power plugged in, the video card in the PCI Express slot, and the CPU fan plugged in. The memory is in the DIMM 0 slot. Thats right next to the DIMM 2 slot, then a small space and then a DIMM 1 next to DIMM 3 if that makes a difference.

Still no power other than the blue LED light. Not even the CPU fan is coming on.

Have you reset the CMOS jumper to default the BIOS? If you have a working speaker connected to the MB speaker header, boot the system with NO RAM. If you get NO beeps signifying there is no RAM in the system, you have a abad MB or processor.

Sk1n

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Yeah I moved that jumper from the 2 and 3 pin to the 1 and 2 pin from CMOS and nothing. Let me know if this would make a difference though. I noticed it on my 24 pin power cable.

short24pinmodifiedcj1.jpg

The green line over the COM pin there is no cable. Its a blank hole you can see right through. The 3 black lines on the bottom are where there are two wires per hole I figured its because its the voltage holes and they are positives and negatives, but I wasn't sure if this is affecting anything with the power.

If you are benching the system like that with the minimum needed to et to BIOS, the likelyhood of the problem being a faulty MB or CPU is high. I don't think the 24 pin connector is causing the problem. You mentioned you are plugging in the 4/8 pin 12v connector to the MB header to supply power to the CPU. 680i should have been recalled and reissued with a more reliable product.

Sk1n

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Alright. So I guess best bet is to call Tiger Direct and tell them I have a faulty piece of equipment. Hopefully getting a replacement won't be too hard.

Thanks for all your help you're a life saver. I wouldn't have had any idea what to do. I assume I will be sent a new chip and board of the same make. Hopefully the second one works.

One thing I noticed is the RAM slot clips were pretty cheap. They actually fell off the slots when I was trying to secure the memory. Any suggestions on a new board possibly or a similar price range? Got the chip and board as a combo for $289.

Check the online MB support page for BIOS revision that supports the q6600. If the BIOS needs an update from the release version, your BIOS may need an update to suppoet the 65nm quads.