Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New i7 920?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2009 11:11:52 PM

I've just seen this on overclockers.co.uk

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP...

is this just like an overclockers version or something? seems as if it's designed specifically to be overclocked. It's £5 more than the 'normal' retail i7 920

Anyone else hear about this?

More about : 920

a b à CPUs
April 15, 2009 11:19:03 PM

Thats the new stepping, they have ironed out some kinks and other 'could be better' stuff.. Eventually the older stepping will be completely phased out with this one...
So, better thermals and OC headroom for everyone... though if u want one now u'll be paying a little extra ;D
April 15, 2009 11:25:01 PM

just bought a 920, the 'old' one was wondering what the difference was, however it seems negligible.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2009 9:06:50 AM

At the very least, with this new improvements, the i7 920 now represents even more value, no?
April 16, 2009 2:18:35 PM

yeah but as I've just bought a 920 it's a tad irritating to see a better version come out the week after.
April 16, 2009 3:06:40 PM

even worse some guy got it running at 4.2ghz on just above stock voltage.
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2009 9:14:58 PM

Rain1406 said:
yeah but as I've just bought a 920 it's a tad irritating to see a better version come out the week after.


That's why you should do a little research in the forums and elsewhere before pulling out the credit card :D .

Seriously, there were about 5-6 threads here on Tom's about the D0 stepping coming out this month, with general availability in May. There was some question initially as to whether this was merely a cosmetic change, but if you read the article over on Anandtech, you'll see that a BIOS update yielded a significant improvement in the core voltage/oc potential.

But if you don't intend to oc to 4GHz and beyond, then don't worry - your C0 is still a great CPU.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 2:31:48 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
even worse some guy got it running at 4.2ghz on just above stock voltage.

whoa! where?! :wahoo: 

EDIT: Also, if I'm shopping online, what should I look for that differentiates old and new i7 920 stock? Serial number? SKU?
April 17, 2009 2:57:56 AM

Rain1406 said:
just bought a 920, the 'old' one was wondering what the difference was, however it seems negligible.


Wrong. The gains are not negligible whatsoever. Overclocking is on an entirely different level. My cousin works at Intel and was able to get me one. It does 4.2ghz HT on, 1.18 volts. I've hit 4.4ghz at 1.3 volts. Do that with a C0, I dare you. If you don't believe me, check out Anandtech's preview of the D0 stepping.
April 17, 2009 8:19:06 AM

spintel thanx you for your money - I wonder if they fixed the tlb error that they say doesn't matter.

did they fix the massive power hog capabilities too? 130watts NOT INCLUDING THE SOCALLED UNCORE WHICH SUX OFF THE POW SUPPLY - 180 watts plus

LMAO - line up here sheep. spintel loves you and keeps you brainwasshedddd
duh

you like supporting monopoly?
you like antitrust? criminals.

thx for your contributions.

u cud rma based on xs tdp = hahahahaha
more coverups.
April 17, 2009 3:00:41 PM

sighQ2 said:
spintel thanx you for your money - I wonder if they fixed the tlb error that they say doesn't matter.

did they fix the massive power hog capabilities too? 130watts NOT INCLUDING THE SOCALLED UNCORE WHICH SUX OFF THE POW SUPPLY - 180 watts plus

LMAO - line up here sheep. spintel loves you and keeps you brainwasshedddd
duh

you like supporting monopoly?
you like antitrust? criminals.

thx for your contributions.

u cud rma based on xs tdp = hahahahaha
more coverups.

You either suck at sarcasm or you are going for the biggest fanboy of the year award..
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 3:08:38 PM

Go back to amdzone.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 5:27:23 PM

sighQ2 said:
spintel thanx you for your money - I wonder if they fixed the tlb error that they say doesn't matter.

did they fix the massive power hog capabilities too? 130watts NOT INCLUDING THE SOCALLED UNCORE WHICH SUX OFF THE POW SUPPLY - 180 watts plus

LMAO - line up here sheep. spintel loves you and keeps you brainwasshedddd
duh

you like supporting monopoly?
you like antitrust? criminals.

thx for your contributions.

u cud rma based on xs tdp = hahahahaha
more coverups.


Zooty, get your ridiculous arse back to UAEZone immediately! They are already missing their village idiot - their average IQ has risen to dangerous moronic levels.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 5:31:15 PM

r_manic said:
whoa! where?! :wahoo: 

EDIT: Also, if I'm shopping online, what should I look for that differentiates old and new i7 920 stock? Serial number? SKU?


I dunno if you're gonna find any online site that will include the box package info, but in case you do, the code you are looking for is "SLBEJ" I believe.

Also, you can go to Intel's processor finder app on their website, but AFAIK it hasn't been updated yet with the D0 stepping info:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 5:41:53 PM

someguy7 said:
Go back to amdzone.


If he shows up again, I suggest we all report him and maybe he'll get a well-deserved IP perma-ban.

There's trolls and there's 'tards, but Zooty manages to implement the least-desirable qualities of both in one package.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 6:02:56 PM

Yeah i had to RMA my 920 because of a bad mem controller, it wouldnt run stable at stock and kept crashing with memory errors. The replacement was a D0 920. I have it running perfectly stable at 4GHz at 1.3v. It does run toasty but I don't really know what to copare it to. Since my memory is 1600 the 200 BLK is perfect and I do not plan to OC any higher. If I can get the temps down, that would be my goal. It hits 90C on core0 during an hour of OCCT 3.0.1 and HT as dual core one and a Large data set.

The only thing I changed was the core voltage, I didn't have to mess with anything else. I have line-lock off, Speedstep and Turbo off, HT on.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 6:04:14 PM

I'm not for banning him myself. Let him/them post. Dont matter if your a intel or amd looney. At least here and any other hardware forum you can paste stuff like this and not get banned/attacked by mods.(unlike some forum...)
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 6:28:44 PM

someguy7 said:
I'm not for banning him myself. Let him/them post. Dont matter if your a intel or amd looney. At least here and any other hardware forum you can paste stuff like this and not get banned/attacked by mods.(unlike some forum...)


OK, I respect your viewpoint. However the difference between Zooty and just about everybody else is that his posts are 110% worthless, and if he spouts enough of them, it'll drive a lot of people away.

Yes, Tom's and Anand's are much more open than AMDZone, and nobody wants a heavy-handed admin like what they suffer from over there. However, just as the admin and Zooty have managed to drive a lot of eyes away from AMDZone (with loss of advertising $$), too much flaming won't be good for this site either, IMHO.
April 17, 2009 7:25:38 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
OK, I respect your viewpoint. However the difference between Zooty and just about everybody else is that his posts are 110% worthless, and if he spouts enough of them, it'll drive a lot of people away.

Yes, Tom's and Anand's are much more open than AMDZone, and nobody wants a heavy-handed admin like what they suffer from over there. However, just as the admin and Zooty have managed to drive a lot of eyes away from AMDZone (with loss of advertising $$), too much flaming won't be good for this site either, IMHO.

No need for the admin to ban him. We have the ability to vote the post up or down, hiding posts that have 5 down votes. Only 1 other person has voted him down so far, so the post remains.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 8:53:19 PM

blackened144 said:
No need for the admin to ban him. We have the ability to vote the post up or down, hiding posts that have 5 down votes. Only 1 other person has voted him down so far, so the post remains.


OK, I hit the thumbs-down button too :) . However, it takes too many votes to hide his post. Seeing as how BOM is experimenting with various tools here, they should put in one to let us filter out posts based on the poster...
April 18, 2009 12:30:55 AM

wow, I love how my question has developed into a flame war....

fun times
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2009 7:43:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys! :) 

And Rain, feel free to vote down stuff you don't like. If you like watching drama unfold though, just sit back and relax :p