Kari

Splendid
Thats the new stepping, they have ironed out some kinks and other 'could be better' stuff.. Eventually the older stepping will be completely phased out with this one...
So, better thermals and OC headroom for everyone... though if u want one now u'll be paying a little extra ;D

That's why you should do a little research in the forums and elsewhere before pulling out the credit card :D.

Seriously, there were about 5-6 threads here on Tom's about the D0 stepping coming out this month, with general availability in May. There was some question initially as to whether this was merely a cosmetic change, but if you read the article over on Anandtech, you'll see that a BIOS update yielded a significant improvement in the core voltage/oc potential.

But if you don't intend to oc to 4GHz and beyond, then don't worry - your C0 is still a great CPU.

r_manic

Administrator

whoa! where?! :wahoo:

EDIT: Also, if I'm shopping online, what should I look for that differentiates old and new i7 920 stock? Serial number? SKU?

crysis900

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Wrong. The gains are not negligible whatsoever. Overclocking is on an entirely different level. My cousin works at Intel and was able to get me one. It does 4.2ghz HT on, 1.18 volts. I've hit 4.4ghz at 1.3 volts. Do that with a C0, I dare you. If you don't believe me, check out Anandtech's preview of the D0 stepping.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
spintel thanx you for your money - I wonder if they fixed the tlb error that they say doesn't matter.

did they fix the massive power hog capabilities too? 130watts NOT INCLUDING THE SOCALLED UNCORE WHICH SUX OFF THE POW SUPPLY - 180 watts plus

LMAO - line up here sheep. spintel loves you and keeps you brainwasshedddd
duh

you like supporting monopoly?
you like antitrust? criminals.

thx for your contributions.

u cud rma based on xs tdp = hahahahaha
more coverups.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

You either suck at sarcasm or you are going for the biggest fanboy of the year award..

Zooty, get your ridiculous arse back to UAEZone immediately! They are already missing their village idiot - their average IQ has risen to dangerous moronic levels.

I dunno if you're gonna find any online site that will include the box package info, but in case you do, the code you are looking for is "SLBEJ" I believe.

Also, you can go to Intel's processor finder app on their website, but AFAIK it hasn't been updated yet with the D0 stepping info:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/

If he shows up again, I suggest we all report him and maybe he'll get a well-deserved IP perma-ban.

There's trolls and there's 'tards, but Zooty manages to implement the least-desirable qualities of both in one package.

Yeah i had to RMA my 920 because of a bad mem controller, it wouldnt run stable at stock and kept crashing with memory errors. The replacement was a D0 920. I have it running perfectly stable at 4GHz at 1.3v. It does run toasty but I don't really know what to copare it to. Since my memory is 1600 the 200 BLK is perfect and I do not plan to OC any higher. If I can get the temps down, that would be my goal. It hits 90C on core0 during an hour of OCCT 3.0.1 and HT as dual core one and a Large data set.

The only thing I changed was the core voltage, I didn't have to mess with anything else. I have line-lock off, Speedstep and Turbo off, HT on.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I'm not for banning him myself. Let him/them post. Dont matter if your a intel or amd looney. At least here and any other hardware forum you can paste stuff like this and not get banned/attacked by mods.(unlike some forum...)

OK, I respect your viewpoint. However the difference between Zooty and just about everybody else is that his posts are 110% worthless, and if he spouts enough of them, it'll drive a lot of people away.

Yes, Tom's and Anand's are much more open than AMDZone, and nobody wants a heavy-handed admin like what they suffer from over there. However, just as the admin and Zooty have managed to drive a lot of eyes away from AMDZone (with loss of advertising $$), too much flaming won't be good for this site either, IMHO.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

No need for the admin to ban him. We have the ability to vote the post up or down, hiding posts that have 5 down votes. Only 1 other person has voted him down so far, so the post remains.

OK, I hit the thumbs-down button too :). However, it takes too many votes to hide his post. Seeing as how BOM is experimenting with various tools here, they should put in one to let us filter out posts based on the poster...