nui_deas

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I have just bought a bargain (£220) XFX 4870x2 and can get no picture after installing it. The PSU fan spins as does the CPU fan and the card seems to spin. I had a 550 watt Thermal Take PSU but it did not have the correct 8 pin connector and it was under specced for the card, but I could get a message about the missing power adapter from the card. I went to a local retailer (Novatech) where they helpfully sold me a Hiper 880 watt PSU. This is where the problem started. I have a Nexus Caterpiller case which has an HDD cage on the base of the case which is rivetted in. The PSU is in the bottom of the case. I had to bend the cage a lot to get the PSU in and run the cables in, the cage also is right next to the mobo. Since I bent the cage I have had no picture signal to my monitor from the new card. Fitting the old card still results in no picture signal either even though the fan spins on the card. I can hear the machine post and the associated beep. I have tried booting with just 1 wafer of memory and no cards. I have got the 6 pin connector attached to geforce 8800 GTS 640 that I put back in and I have had both the 8 pin connector and the 6 pin in the Radeon. I have tried the Radeon in several sockets.

Have I over looked something?

Thanks

Nui

My PC Specs are: PSU: Hiper 880W HPU-4M880-PE; CPU Intel Q6700; Asrock Penryn1600SLI-110dB; Nexus Silent Caterpillar Case; 4x 1 GB DDR2 800; XFX 4870x2; 1 x200Gb SATA; 1 X1TB SATA; 2 x DVD r/w.

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=374&page=6 For an image of the inside of my case.

nui_deas

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for the prompt response.

I had just taken the 4/8 pin straight from the PSU, will it make that much difference? Until I had the card I had not seen a 4/8 pin connector before, my Geforce 8800 GTS did not have one. I have to admit it is mostly that this also is now not working which leads me to fear that this is a motherboard issue. I will try it when I am back from work.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I don't see how bending the drive cage at the bottom section of the case could have affected the motherboard at the top.
Unplug everything from the new PSU and plug in the old 550W while operating it externally to confirm.

[EDITED]The EPS12V(8pin) plug badge is refering to is different from 8/6pin PCIe power plug. They're keyed differently as well.

nui_deas

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I will give it a try as well, thanks. I was unsure as to what the effect had been of bending the cage was as it is really close to the edge of the mobo, I think that they were kind of a hairs breath away from the cage and it may have touched when I bent it.

nui_deas

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

Oh Doh! I am so not with it, as soon as you mentioned this I knew that I had not done it! Thanks a lot, your help has been much appreciated. I am almost certain that you are right, I will let you know.

Latest posts