Do stairs wear out?

Twice now I've had my sims suddenly unable to get off a roof they were
heading up to for days.

I tried moving the stairs around, but the only thing that worked was buying
a new staircase.

Are the stairs wearing out?
Is there a way to fix them?
Is there a more durable staircase?

-C

Calista wrote:
> Twice now I've had my sims suddenly unable to get off a roof they
were
> heading up to for days.

You were able to pick up the stairs without using the "move_objects on"
cheat?

Usually the cause of an unusable object is that a Sim using the object
encountered an error in Maxis code and "jumped", leaving the object in
use, so you can't even pick it up and sell it the normal way. It
happens often.

"gnohmon" <gnohmon@panix.com> wrote in news:1108594770.855940.46400
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Calista wrote:
>> Twice now I've had my sims suddenly unable to get off a roof they
> were
>> heading up to for days.
>
> You were able to pick up the stairs without using the "move_objects on"
> cheat?
>
> Usually the cause of an unusable object is that a Sim using the object
> encountered an error in Maxis code and "jumped", leaving the object in
> use, so you can't even pick it up and sell it the normal way. It
> happens often.

Yeah, I even moved it to another part of the roof and they still wouldn't
use it.

Then I tried putting up a new staircase to get them from the second to
first floor and the old one to get them down to the ground. They took the
new staircase, but stopped there and wouldn't use the old one.

It's happened to me twice now (that new one got 'old' too). Maybe stairs
just get old? (it was worth only about $120 of the original $900 when I
sold it).

-C

Calista <CalistaP@fake.mail> wrote:

>Twice now I've had my sims suddenly unable to get off a roof they were
>heading up to for days.
>
>I tried moving the stairs around, but the only thing that worked was buying
>a new staircase.

I had that problem, too. I did not sell the staircase, and after a few
Sim-weeks, the Sims resumed using it in both directions.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

"Calista" <CalistaP@fake.mail> wrote in message
> "gnohmon" <gnohmon@panix.com> wrote in news:1108594770.855940.46400
> @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Calista wrote:
>>> Twice now I've had my sims suddenly unable to get off a roof they
>> were
>>> heading up to for days.
>>
>> You were able to pick up the stairs without using the "move_objects on"
>> cheat?
>>
>> Usually the cause of an unusable object is that a Sim using the object
>> encountered an error in Maxis code and "jumped", leaving the object in
>> use, so you can't even pick it up and sell it the normal way. It
>> happens often.
>>

> Yeah, I even moved it to another part of the roof and they still wouldn't
> use it.
>
> Then I tried putting up a new staircase to get them from the second to
> first floor and the old one to get them down to the ground. They took the
> new staircase, but stopped there and wouldn't use the old one.
>
> It's happened to me twice now (that new one got 'old' too). Maybe stairs
> just get old? (it was worth only about $120 of the original $900 when I
> sold it).

I've had that happen with a few different items now...stairs, toilet,
easel...each time if I can delete it (using the move objects cheat) and
replace it with a new one then all is well.

caroline wrote:

> I've had that happen with a few different items now...stairs, toilet,
> easel...each time if I can delete it (using the move objects cheat) and
> replace it with a new one then all is well.

I had a problem with this happening in S1 after Unleashed was released,
but haven't had it with S2 yet...

Laura