Sign in with
Your question

Sound Device for XP

Last response: in Windows XP
June 24, 2011 5:54:05 AM

I cannot use my speakers on my desktop because it says that there is no sound device. How do I go about getting one. My computer crashed several months ago and a friend reinstalled everything but evidently not something for the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-)

More about : sound device

June 24, 2011 12:56:11 PM

yeah this is a common mistake novices make, sound device drivers need to be manually reinstalled.

Go to control panel > system > hardware > device manager

there should be an exclamation point next to your sound card,

if your computer came with driver CD, put that into your CD drive.

right click on the faulty sound card select install drive or update driver, point it to your drivers CD and let it search it for drivers. Usually it should be able to find it automatically and you should be fine at that point.

if you don't have a drivers CD or automatic scan for drivers doesn't work, check what make/model the sound card is (right click on the faulty hardware and select properties)

Go to the manufacturer's website support pages, find the support page for your sound card model and download the drivers. At this point you will probably have an automatic installer that will install the drivers, but if not, if it's just drivers in zip file then go to device manager again, and choose to install/update driver and point the installation to the files you downloaded, it should install fine then.

Hope this helps.
m
l
!