Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to pre-format a boot drive (SSD) on a new build?

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2010 9:02:41 PM

I'm building a PC from scratch and will install a SSD
OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G)
as my boot drive with win 7 ultimate.
Do I need to pre-format it or can I start installing windows immediately after I have fitted all parts?
July 20, 2010 9:05:39 PM

my understanding is that win 7 will correctly 'align' the partition and then install to that partition.
a c 99 G Storage
July 20, 2010 11:18:27 PM

Windows 7 will "format" it for you during the install process.

It's actually a "quick format", and works just fine.

Make sure you set the SATA ports to ACHI in BIOS, if possible, for best performance for SSDs.
Related resources
July 20, 2010 11:39:45 PM

Also, do I need to buy a 2.5>3.5 bay for the SSD?
I noticed you use an Antec 300 - is it good, cause I'm looking for a cheap but flexible case that fits 4-6 HDDs.
a c 99 G Storage
July 21, 2010 3:15:46 AM

No. If you buy a retail version (not OEM), it should included the brackets to mount the 2.5" drive into a 3.5" bay. Else, get a "Hot Swap Bay" or "Mobile Rack." It got this one, but it's a dual drive set up. But you can use only one bay.

My case is great, if you don't get a huge graphics card with that many drives. Less than 9.5", 'cause the card can be too big, and run into the hard drives.

Look at THG SBM here, where they used a Antec 300, and 2 graphics cards. Note the cards and the drive, cramping each other.

Yes, the case in an Antec 300 Illusion, but the same size as a regular 300. The Illusion includes blue LED fans, the only difference.
December 2, 2011 5:30:46 PM

olphus said:
I'm building a PC from scratch and will install a SSD
OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G)
as my boot drive with win 7 ultimate.
Do I need to pre-format it or can I start installing windows immediately after I have fitted all parts?

olphus I am doing the exact same thing that you are doing and using the same SSD. MIne is in the mail and will arrive next week.

Let me know how it works out.

!