Apr 15, 2009
I've recently put together a computer (My first one):

GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Radeon 5850
G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB 1333 RAM
Corsair H50
Cooler Master Storm Scout

So, i've been changing just the CPU multiplier in the BIOS, and so far i've gotten it up from 3.2 to 3.6. Everything is stable, i've been playing BF:BC2 for a few hours, playing other games, getting online, i mean everything is ok. I haven't had any problems at all. Temps are even at 31*C - 33*C idle and about 40*C - 42*C, which is low as far as I know.

Here's by question though. That was way to easy, just changing the multiplier. If i want to get to 3.8 or 4, is there something else i need to change so that it runs stable? It's perfectly stable now even though i've just been upping the multiplier, but I want to go higher.

Solution
Changing the FSB speed will also result in an increase in clock rate. The FSB x the Multiplier = the final frequency.

Just because a few hours of gaming doesn't cause issues doesn't mean your PC is stable. Run Prime95 or Intel Burn Test to confirm your stability.

Good luck.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Changing the FSB speed will also result in an increase in clock rate. The FSB x the Multiplier = the final frequency.

Just because a few hours of gaming doesn't cause issues doesn't mean your PC is stable. Run Prime95 or Intel Burn Test to confirm your stability.

Good luck.

Solution

jebzilla

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
You can also just change the multiplier to 19 or 19.5 in the bios and if it's unstable just up the voltage by small increments until it becomes stable at the speed you want. You probably won't hit 4ghz but you can get it close. Alot of people set it to 19 and then start upping the fsb until it's no longer stable.