Sign in with
Your question

Solid state harddrives...WTF?????

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2010 9:53:10 PM

Hello,
I'm not a teck savvy person.I do know that solid state hdds are a big improvement. Because of heat issues and hard drive speed. But what is most confusing are all the different drive part numbers and read /write stats that are all over the place.Whats going on? Does any body know?
July 21, 2010 1:18:28 AM

There are a lot of benefits to having SSD's

You can see them all if you read this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
That will tell you all the info you could need.

But, in a nut shell, they are faster, and more resistant to physical damage.
But, they don't last long.
They are also pretty expensive.

Very good for boot drives.
m
l
July 21, 2010 3:56:08 AM

bitdman said:
Hello,
I'm not a teck savvy person.I do know that solid state hdds are a big improvement. Because of heat issues and hard drive speed. But what is most confusing are all the different drive part numbers and read /write stats that are all over the place.Whats going on? Does any body know?

Solid State Drivers are smaller less power consumption and around the same speed as two 2.5in 3.0GBps drives in Raid 0 from what benchmarks I've seen you can check out Hard Drive section on Tom's. Raptors in Raid-0 is what I would look at in benchmarks vs a single SSD from Intel or other highend makers to see whats faster! classic 2.5in or 3.5in will give you more hard drive capacity at a lower price!
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2010 4:03:08 AM

Quote:
they don't last long.

Thank you both for the replies.

DustinM.
Why do you say they don't last long? What happens to them and how long do they last?
m
l
July 29, 2010 5:10:16 AM

bitdman said:
Quote:
they don't last long.

Thank you both for the replies.

DustinM.
Why do you say they don't last long? What happens to them and how long do they last?

Well, depending on the drive, they can last up to or exceeding 2,000,000 read/write cycles.

Basically, that means they can only read/write the data so and so amount of times.

And, if you are constantly using it, it might not last more then 3 years.
m
l
July 30, 2010 11:36:07 PM

I see your point! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again and good luck with that business.I'll check to see if there is a web site
m
l
!