RAID0 Partition?

alextwst

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hey guys,

Just bought all the components for my new desktop including a new 1TB Samsung Spinpoint f3 (7200 rpm, 32MB Cache). With all my new components, I figured that the HD will still be the bottleneck as far as gaming is concerned. I didn't have the money in my budget for a higher speed drive and/or SSD, so I hoped it wouldn't be as bad as I thought.

So I began thinking that I might be able to do something with my current hardware. My old desktop had a 200GB Maxtor (7200 rpm, 16MB cache) so I was wondering if it would be possible to partition the Samsung into 200GB and 800GB partitions and do RAID0 between the Maxtor and the 200GB partition on the Samsung, preserving the 800GB partition for other use. Is this anywhere near possible? (I know its rather far-fetched anyways) And would I see much of a performance boost from it?

Anything you guys know about this (or any other way to help stop bottlenecking) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

As Far as I know for Raid-0 you need to Have a similar drive specs for spec and Raid in general. Point of Raid is to keep everything running at fast speed to increase performance, not mixing old and new stuff together. I would get rid of your old drive and pick up similar samsungs or if your bored experiment but back up your drive :) and let us know!

^+1 Agree. Same drive sizes recommended, but not required.

If you RAID 2 drives, different sizes, differnet speeds, they will only be twice the size of the smallest drive (loose space), and only as fast as the slowest drive. Even tho the Maxtor is 7200rpm, the SPinpoint will kick it's @ss in read/write speeds.

Use the Maxtor for backups, although it's not that big.

You would set up the partitions after you set up RAID in BIOS and post, anyway.