MSI 9800 GTX+ help...freezing/locking

rapko

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Ok I'm in need of advice again. I recently purchased an MSI 9800 GTX+. Its the over clocked version. While playing games it constantly freezes up. When my old card froze, it would take me back to the desktop. This gtx just locks up, and I have to force a reboot by holding down the power button. Its the only way to restart. I tried downloading older drivers from nvidia but nothing works. I am trying to speed up the fan but can't get it to work. My old card while playing crysis never goes higher than 55c...the gtx is topping 70+c. It even froze up when I was on the desktop, no games were running what-so-ever. So do you think I got a bum card or is there something else I could try? My computer specs are:

q6600 @ 2.4
4 gigs ram
680i sli mobo
MSI 9600 gt
700 watt power supply

I have been reading a lot of reviews for the 9800 gtx and there are mixed ratings...some people have no problems yet others seem to get lockups like me, they blame it on the drivers or whatever. If there's anyone out there who may help me out, please lmk what can be done. I'm a newb when it comes to this kind of stuff, I don't dare mess with bios settings just yet. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
First, uninstall the drivers and use Driver Cleaner Pro to completely remove them. Then install the newest drivers. Next, use AtiTool to scan for artifacts. Since it froze while just on the desktop, you may have a bad card. But, it could be one of many other things causing problems, bad ram, bad psu, etc.