Hyper 212+. Need advice. Help me?

Tags:
  • Cooler Master
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 13, 2010 8:55:25 AM

Hi, I got a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ heatsink with IC Diamond 7 thermal compound.

My temps at idle were 50-55 C before installation and thermal compound.

My new temps are 39/40 - 44/45 C after installation and thermal compound.

This means I have gotten a 10 C drop.

Question: Is this normal? I know that is significant-ish, but I was really hoping for more. Is there a chance my compound didn't spread enough? I know when I was putting the heatsink on, I felt like the compound went more towards one direction rather than spreading equally from the center. However, I might just be paranoid!

Anyone/Everyone please give your opinion on if this is a normal amount of temperature drop, or if I was right on expecting more of a drop.

Thanks so much! Hope to hear soon. :) 

More about : hyper 212 advice

July 13, 2010 1:06:19 PM

I'd say it sounds normal. What's your CPU? Is it overclocked? Are you using one fan with the 212+ or two in a push/pull configuration? There are other factors as to why people get different amounts of temperature drops. So, if you have more ICD7 and are still unsure of the temps, try re-seating the 212+ again and see what happens.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 5:13:50 PM

10C at idle would be about normal except your temps are still high for idle, what processor do you have and is it overclocked. Load temps are more important what do they reach when you run Prime 95 or similar?
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 7:24:24 PM

i7-920 D0 @ 3.8 GHz
ASRock X58 Extreme Mobo
Antec 300 Case w/ 2 120mm intake at front, 1 120mm rear exhaust, 1 140mm roof exhaust

Voltages:

I am using one fan which came with the Hyper 212+ (120mm Blademaster from Cooler Master). My room temperature is probably about 24-27 C (75-80 F) these days. I tried IntelBurn Test on Maximum setting really quick (that is, 1 pass) and my CPU hit 66-71 C (since there's always a 5 C difference from Core 4 to Core 1).

I look forward to hearing back! Thank you. :) 
m
l
July 13, 2010 8:12:36 PM

I literally just finished installing one of these on a PII x4 955.

I used the tube of coolermaster stuff that comes with the cooler.
used about 80% of what was in there, just went straight on the cooler, didn't bother putting any on my CPU

Somehow managed to lose one of the four bolt/spacer things that go in the cpu side of the mobo..

So all seems well despite the lost metal bit.. i'm sure it will turn up xD

havn't stress tested but it's definitely doing a pretty good job of cooling and is way quieter than the stock cooler which was running at 5000rpm ^^

Stock idle: 38c-41c
212+ idle: 30c-33c
Stock l4d2:55c-60c
212+ l4d2:44c
Stock rar*: 52
212+ rar* :

l4d2 = left 4 dead 2 @ 1280*1024

stock temps are ballpark as i can't remember exactly

*Gave the computer a task in winrar with best compression and recorded HI temp with CoreTemp; this is the only stock temp that isn't ballpark
m
l
July 13, 2010 8:30:04 PM

trancetunes, those numbers look alright considering your setup and ambient temp. Adding a second fan to the 212+ may drop temps a few more degrees. Do you have Hyper-Threading enabled in your BIOS? Just a thought, but if you don't feel it needed, disabling it will make it run cooler, as well.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2010 8:45:28 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the thermal goo, when you tighten down the HSF, using the cross tightening pattern indicated by the instructions, the downward pressure will "equalize" the goo across the CPU. You should be fine.

How do you have your PC positioned? Is it in some sort of enclosure, or does it sit in a more open setting (good clean airflow in front, top, and rear)?

Inside your system, do you have any ribbon cables that may be obstructing clean airflow? If so, re-route/re-position where possible.

What GPU are you using? How are its temps?

Keep in mind that any and all OCing will generate more heat.
m
l
July 13, 2010 9:28:22 PM

Yea, I know OCing generates more heat, but my voltages are quite a bit lower than stock voltage. Either way I know more speed=more activity=more heat heh..

I don't want to disable hyper-threading because, well, that's one reason I bought this CPU! Windows does take advantage of it, so even though I barely notice it, just knowing it's that much faster is nice. :p 

All the air is free flowing. I have the tower sitting on the top of my desk. :) 

My graphics card is ATI 5770 by Sapphire and runs anywhere from 38 - 60 C depending on what is going on.. However, for some reason it is at 50 C right now even though I'm just browsing (which is the first time I've ever seen it this high when not doing much).

I just really hope the thermal paste is sitting evenly across all my cores and heatsink!

Let me know what you are all thinking! Thanks so much :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2010 1:31:34 AM

Are you sure your Hyper 212+ fan is blowing towards your rear fan? I assume it is, but if it isn't it could be working against your normal fan flow. Just a thought.
m
l
July 14, 2010 4:14:52 AM

Yea, it is hehehe. I put my hand in front of the fan and felt air coming from the back of my hand, and then i put my hand in between the HS and rear exhaust just to check and I definitely felt more wind.

IDK, something tells me I should just re-do it.. =/ I really feel like I should be seeing more of a temp difference. For instance, right now im at 41-46. With a new HS AND excellent thermal compound shouldn't I be seeing more than 9 degrees difference?

I have a feeling I am going to re-do it tomorrow afternoon and see if it helps. If not, I know it isn't me at least.

However, anyone/ever, please continue to give me any thoughts, experience, opinions, etc if you can!
m
l
July 14, 2010 11:54:38 AM

Can anyone else give me their input?

If you are seeing this thread for first time, my question is:

My original temp was 50-55 C, now I have 40 - 45 C (sometimes I am seeing 42- 47 C though). This means I got about 10 C drop in temperature. Should I bother taking all the time to take out my motherboard and re-apply thermal compound + re-seat the heatsink? OR Is a 10 C drop all I should expect? I am using a new Hyper 212+ heatsink with IC Diamond 7 thermal compound.

The thing is, I really don't want to take all that time to re-apply + re-seat if I most people don't think I will get a different result.

Your experience/opinion/input is appreciated! Hope to hear back soon! :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2010 3:34:24 PM

You shouldn't need to remove the motherboard to remount the 212+, just the first time you installed it to get the backplate on (someone correct me if I am wrong). Assuming you don't need to remove the motherboard, reseating the 212+ could take as little as 10minutes.

Use the DHT method: fill the gaps between the heatpipes/inserts and remove all excess with a razor blade or old credit card, then put one thin line down each heatpipe for about half of the length, centered. Direct Heatpipe Touch HSFs respond better to this method than the Pea sized drop in the center of the CPU in my experience. Also, ICD7 is a thicker TIM, so you have to be quick about filling the gaps, as it gums up quickly, which can cause it to ball up when trying to skim off the excess. Do not pressure twist when mounting if you value your warranty: ICD7 is an abrasive that when mounted and twisted with two much pressure pretty much sands away the surface of your heatspreader and heatsink.

On my Mobo, I was able to screw in the clamps all the way to their stops. More pressure = better heat transfer, but obviously not so much pressure as to break your hardware.
m
l
July 15, 2010 4:38:13 PM

To properly screw the X bracket that holds the 212+ down I would need to have access to the back of the mobo, right? If I don't, then I will turn the screws and the nuts on the back of the plate (which is on back of mobo) will just turn together.. So I need to use the small hex socket they provide and hold the nut in place while I unscrew the X bracket thing.. heh

I'm still not sure if I should take all that time though because I don't want to use more thermal compound and take all the time to reseat it if I won't see a difference :X

Does anyone reading this have any experience with hyper 212+ and/or IC Diamond 7? What was your temp. drop?? Once again, mine went from 50-55 C to 40-45 C .. I got about 9-10 C drop. Is that all I should really expect?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:59:39 PM

Trancetunes, you may actually be on to your problem. If you mounted the backplate properly, then you should be able to remove and re-attach the HSF without removing the mobo. I have the same HSF on one of my systems so I know you can do safely without removing the mobo.

Second, earlier in the thread, JofaMang indicated that he was able to crank down his mounting screws to the stops. Mine are that way as well. Yours should be, too. If not, you may not have cranked down tight enough, thus creating poor mating of the HSF to the CPU. Poor mating means more heat.

Check it out. BTW, my 212+/Phenom II 965BE config never gets above 40C and I pound the stuff out of it for both gaming and video rendering. Nothing fancy in the config at all except for good airflow and no OC.

Good luck!!!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 7:07:44 PM

Hmm, my 212+ must be different then. The X-bracket on mine seccures to the top of the screws that are affixed to the backplate. The screws/x-bracket posts haven;t moved since I installed it the first time, and have reapplied my TIM at least 4 times since then. There has been a revision released, and I am unfamiliar with the differences between the original and the one I have.
m
l
July 15, 2010 8:36:04 PM

Hehe, let me clarify...

I have screws that hold the back plate on by going through the motherboard, and being held secure with nuts. On the top of those screws, there are holes to screw the bracket. If I try to unscrew the bracket, the screw+nut that hold the backplate just spin with it! I have to hold the nut in place so that only the bracket screw turns. Get what I mean?

If you look at that pic.. What I am trying to say here is that if I turn the spring loaded screws that are on the bracket, they also end up turning the screw that they go into (the ones that go onto the front of mobo), and the nut on the back of mobo that holds that backplate screw (like i said, the ones that go onto the front of mobo).. That is why I have to get to the back.. So I can hold the nut in place while I turn the spring-loaded screw for the bracket.

Hope that made sense!..I'm starting to think that maybe I should just re-do this :X
m
l
July 15, 2010 10:36:58 PM

UPDATE: I just took everything off, used rubbing alcohol to clean off the paste, re-seated the back-place, re-seated the heatsink after re-applying paste, and screwed the bracket back on. I double checked to make sure it was totally good to go.

After doing all of this, I got absolutely no difference so far. My temp on realtemp shows up as 40-45 C still (Core 1 is 45 and Core 4 is 40..there is always a 5 C difference). This time I know I didn't do anything wrong. I definitely have the HSF on firmly, and I used the right amount of paste..

I don't really know how people get idle temp's of 20 C or whatever, but it's just not happening for me. Right now my room temperature is about 21-24 C since it's summer. I guess that might be why my temp isn't as low as I want.

Any further experience/opinions/input is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 10:39:24 PM

You are never going to get a temp lower than the room temp
m
l
July 15, 2010 10:49:16 PM

I know..I don't necessarily want a lower temp than my room :p 

I just expected more than I got..

Another update: Bad news. After re-applying/re-seating everything my temperature is 1-2 C higher than it was the first time..UGH :(  I shouldn't have touched it at all... :/ 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2010 1:12:08 AM

Sounds to me like you are not tightening the nuts enough to hold the posts in place.
m
l
July 16, 2010 4:33:48 AM

That makes a little sense, it definitely does, but I am not sure how much tighter I can possible get the nuts + stand-off screws.. I know I can tell you this: The stand-offs that hold the backplate with those nuts, they "line up" or "level out" when they are about to extend beyond the nut's width. Like this..

Get what I mean? Is that tight enough? Or should the screw being going past the level of the nut. Should it stick out a little bit? Hope you get what I mean.. I am going to be trying this one FINAL time tomorrow hehe.. Let me know! Thanks everyone.

m
l
July 16, 2010 5:52:34 AM

Well if you're really out of ideas you could try your hand at lapping the cooler when you next go to reseat it.. get a metal engineering ruler or a razorblade and put it on the cooler base to see if it's flat (put it up to a light source)

If it's not flat, there's a guide here on the forums http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259902-11-heat-sink...

(you will need some sandpaper and some time) ;) 

m
l
July 16, 2010 6:08:14 AM

Well, I am not sure if I will have time to lap it..I know lapping can help a lot, but it also takes a bit of time for sure!

I take online courses so I need my computer. I really don't want to spend a lot of time on this :X

Anyone else let me know if you have any advice because I am going to try this one last time in 12-15 hours (2pm-5pm EST USA time July 16).
m
l
July 16, 2010 6:23:02 AM

This might sound crazy but.. have you tried it with a different compound... i don't wannah get beat up for tarnishing IC Diamond 7's good name.. but it might be an idea to test it with different compound if the ic7 is all u tried with man
m
l
July 16, 2010 7:01:12 AM

I would try that if I had a diff compound. All I have is the stock compound that came with cooler... I know without a doubt IC7 is better than what came with it haha :D 

Any other suggestions?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2010 9:38:36 AM

trancetunes said:
That makes a little sense, it definitely does, but I am not sure how much tighter I can possible get the nuts + stand-off screws.. I know I can tell you this: The stand-offs that hold the backplate with those nuts, they "line up" or "level out" when they are about to extend beyond the nut's width. Like this..

http://i31.tinypic.com/2ngcyyr.jpg

Get what I mean? Is that tight enough? Or should the screw being going past the level of the nut. Should it stick out a little bit? Hope you get what I mean.. I am going to be trying this one FINAL time tomorrow hehe.. Let me know! Thanks everyone.

I don't know dude, I just tightened them until them wouldn't turn anymore, then I tightened them a little more.
m
l
July 16, 2010 12:20:42 PM

That's pretty much what I did. Maybe I didn't use enough compound this time? Or too much? Bah, it sure seemed like the right amount though.
m
l
July 16, 2010 2:34:45 PM

Update:

I've done EVERYTHING one more time. At first my temps were back to being what they were at first (40-45 C = 10 C difference). However, now that it's been a few minutes, it looks like it's even WORSE now. :(  I do not know what I am doing wrong, but wow I should have just stuck to the first time. Now I am getting 41-47 C ..

Sigh, does anyone know what is I am doing wrong? I made sure everything is tight, I made sure to use 5.5mm dot of thermal compound (just like it said to), I pushed down using a slight swivel motion, and I still can't get at least my first results of 40-45 C.. Yes, this is an improvement still, but wow it is really annoying me that I had 40-45 C the first time and I can't even replicate that result now.

Sorry for the annoying whining :X

PS-- 100% Load temp reached 73-77 C
m
l
July 16, 2010 2:43:37 PM

Yea, I saw that guide. I also saw the thermal spreading guide that is linked in there. I thought about doing the X method, but I have heard from more places that it's best to use a dot. Also, if you spread evenly with finger or card, you have to be extra careful about air pockets I guess right? As far as the actual heatsink is concerned, I'm pretty positive I did that part right. I have a feeling I must not have cleaned the cpu and/or heatsink properly (or good enough). Or maybe I got air pockets some how idk.. :X
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2010 2:45:54 PM

Umm, the X method isn't mentioned for DHT in the link I provided:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/articles/Best_Therma...

Notice the gaps between the pipes and spacers are filled. All the tim is prepared on the HSF in this method, and the CPU just needs to be clean prior to mounting. Remember, too much TIM is also not good, as anything above the bare minimum amount will actually insulate the CPU a little bit. High Pressure mounting prior to clamp (press down and wiggle a couple times) helps in spreading thinly as well.

I did find less consistency in temps using %70 Iso to clean the CPU and HSF, and can repeat my results now 100% since I started using 99% Iso for cleaning.
m
l
July 16, 2010 2:47:30 PM

I know that if IC sends me a 24 carat tube I will try this ONE more time, lol... For now, I'm gonna settle with what I got. I feel weird constantly taking it off and all that.. I just don't wanna hurt my PC :p 

Maybe at that time I will try the double line method that I saw on there.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2010 3:00:15 PM

ICD24 is a very thick TIM. One has to be speedy when using it with the DHT method as it gets gummy fast and balls up when trying to clear the excess off before putting down lines, if you are too slow.

That picture has two lines, because that heatsink has 2 spacers between its 3 pipes. For the 212+, you will need 3 lines, one on each spacer between the 4 heatpipes.
m
l
July 16, 2010 3:15:39 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Let's see if they can send me some..

BTW, it seems like the thermal paste has a break in period of about 4 hours or something like that..so maybe my results will get better. Actually right now they are reading as 40-45 C :)  Looks like I may have gotten my first results back at least.

It's abou 21 C in my room right now btw.
m
l
July 18, 2010 6:47:31 PM

Hi everyone, 2 more questions.

My Antec 300 case has 2 x 120mm front intake fans, 1 x 120mm rear exhaust, and 1 x 140mm roof exhaust... Is it better to have the HSF blow towards the rear exhaust or the roof exhaust? It pretty much lines up with either one that I face it towards.. Which one would give better results?

-also-

After securing my hyper 212+ with the bracket etc and all screws are in and tightened, I can actually still wobble it a little. Is that normal? Meaning, it is "secure" and the screws are TIGHT. However, like I said, it can still swivel with a little force (not a lot of force at all). Is that normal??
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2010 9:30:27 PM

Its up to you as to whether you want to go north south or east west. As long as you have the 212+ blowing directly into an exhaust fan, you won't have much warm air staying in the case.

Yes, a little bit of swivel is normal, but it should require a bit of force to achieve.
July 21, 2010 5:01:14 PM

trancetunes said:
Hi everyone, 2 more questions.

My Antec 300 case has 2 x 120mm front intake fans, 1 x 120mm rear exhaust, and 1 x 140mm roof exhaust... Is it better to have the HSF blow towards the rear exhaust or the roof exhaust? It pretty much lines up with either one that I face it towards.. Which one would give better results?

-also-

After securing my hyper 212+ with the bracket etc and all screws are in and tightened, I can actually still wobble it a little. Is that normal? Meaning, it is "secure" and the screws are TIGHT. However, like I said, it can still swivel with a little force (not a lot of force at all). Is that normal??

I just installed the 212+ last night on my rig and had one screw where the nut wouldn't tighten down (kept spinning). What I noticed is that on the threaded part of the standoff there is a flat spot. That has to go against the slot side of the back plate. If you slowly rotate the standoffs before you put on the nut you'll feel it "click" into place and the nut will then go on farther.

You should not have any wobble or movement if it is completely tightened down. I can't budge mine at all.

I would take the time to reinstall the backplate and you should get a much tighter connection.
m
l
July 31, 2010 2:47:32 AM

Best answer selected by trancetunes.
m
l
!