Processors in HDD and SATA III vs II?

Doppler2004

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I just built a new computer and the only thing I didn't buy new was a hard drive. I was tempted to wait for SSD's to come down in price, but I am thinking that won't be anytime soon. So , since I am currently on IDE, I figured a jump to SATA II or III would be a good second best. But here are my questions:

When looking for new hard drives, I can a crossed these two that caught my eye.

WD 500GB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4914330&CatId=139

WD 800GB
http://wWw.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5746529&CatId=139

Now, I noticed the 500GB one says it has "dual processors". What is this all about (never seen or heard of it) and what does it mean for performance? The 500GB has a smaller cache (32MB) as opposed to the 800GB one (64MB), so I am trying to see what the advantage is one over the other (especially because they are the same price) and am really curious to know what the "dual processors" is about.

My other concern is that my motherboard supports SATA III but I don't see many drives out there with SATA III (the ones above are only SATA II), they mostly seem to be II. Is there a big/noticeable jump between the two? I feel like I bought a board that supports SATA III so why not take advantage of it, but I am trying to see if that's reasonable at this time.

Any insight on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
2 processors on the circuit board... one for servo, one for IO - in theory its MAYBE slightly faster... NOTHING you'd notice in real world. Definately go for the 800gb, not only is it larger for same price, but has twice as much buffer as you said. Easy choice

D

Deleted member 217926

The previous post is completely wrong.
That 800GB Green drive is only 5400RPM spindle speed and will be SLOW to use as a boot drive. It is made for storage. The Black drive on the other hand is a performance 7200RPM drive and will be quite fast.
The Samsung Spinpoint F3 in either 500GB or 1TB is the best "bang for your buck" balancing speed and price right now though.

SATA II vs SATA III is not something you have to be concerned about at all with a typical desktop hard drive as none of them even come close to maxing the SATA II standard. A 7200RPM drive just can not read that fast. That is really only a concern for people with the newest solid state drives and is more the new standard for futureproofing as only now can SSDs even use SATA III to the max.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
NOTE: my post was not completely wrong. He asked about the dual processorsr... and I gave him the information. He noted the only differences being the 'dual processors and the buffer memory'. I was tryin to help him out... had he noted the differences also including 5400rpm vs 7200rpm then yes my advice would have been for the other. It takes entirely too long to open every link and read detailed specifications for every single post on here.

Doppler2004

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Sorry the in-accurate details. I didn't realize the 800GB was a 5400RPM drive. That was my bad.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely look into the Samsung you mentioned anort3, thanks.