VLAN / FIREWALL

Tags:
  • Article Discussion
  • Firewalls
  • VLAN
  • Devices
Last response: in Toms Network
May 10, 2010 4:54:37 AM

Hello,I'm new to VLAN and I apologize for ignorance. If company A creates a VLAN on their switch and I plug my firewall/vpn device into the configured port, do i need to set up a firewall? I just want company B to use company A for internet access allowing my vpn to connect company B to a remote site.
company A is allowing us to use their internet connection and thus creating a vlan for us to connect too.
my company, company B will hook up a firewall/vpn device to their switch. Will we be secure or do I need to set up the firewall on my device so the vlan is secure?

More about : vlan firewall

May 10, 2010 5:07:47 PM

The vLAN ACL should be in the switch that Company A owns/manages. You can set additional settings on your firewall/VPN to make sure that only VPN tunnels can be made and no other network access is coming from Company A or the inernet.
m
l
May 11, 2010 12:13:40 AM

Kewlx25 said:
The vLAN ACL should be in the switch that Company A owns/manages. You can set additional settings on your firewall/VPN to make sure that only VPN tunnels can be made and no other network access is coming from Company A or the inernet.

That is awesome news!! I didn't think of the ACL's in the switch. Thank you so much. That makes perfect sense to me now. :bounce: 

so just applying an ACL rule I can set up my VLAN and get internet while at the same time blocking everything else. It's just as if I was setting TCP Wrappers on a linux box.

THANKS, KEWLX25
m
l
!