First Time OCer light i7-950 OC

kiwiskimo

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm finalizing my build that will hopefully last me the next 3 years with some minor additions. Currently I have:

EVGA x58 132-BL-E758 A1
i7-950
G-skill Ripjaws 1600 mhz 3x2gb ram @ 1.6v

I would like to do a minor overclock on the i7-950 that will get me to the 3.4-3.5 ghz range. I will probably be sticking with a stock cooler unless the temperatures start to reach the mid 70s.

Now from what I have read, simple overclocks just include disabling the power saving options, and the CPU spread spectrum, and then changing the BCLK freq from 133 to 150~155. I would also like my memory to run at its recommended 1600 mhz but I have no idea what to do for that.

Lastly, I do not wish to change any voltages.

Also, what are some good stress/stability tests besides Prime95? Also, is the E-leet program that came with the mobo of any help at all?

Cheers all

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

You have a couple of problems will both those statements.

Run Prime95 while monitoring your temps with Coretemp or Realtemp. You may find out you don't have much headroom with the stock cooler.

If you up your Bclk and leave the vcore (and others) on Auto, the Bios WILL increase the voltages, usually more than needed too.

kiwiskimo

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Okay, so then I'll start surfing for an aftermarket cooler.

Now, how much will the BIOS overvolt? Efficiency isn't much of an issue, As long as the components are operating with a same voltage and at reasonable temperatures, I'm totally fine.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The higher you push the Bclk, the higher it will set the voltages. It will usually go in steps, so if you set the Bclk to 150 it might raise it to 1.300v and then if you set it to 160 it may be the same 1.300v, then 170 may raise it to 1.368v or something. This is just an example of course. You are usually much better off setting the voltages manually though, unless your Bios will tell you the values it has set for all your voltages on Auto like vcore/VTT/PLL/IOH etc. and even then you could almost always lower them when setting them manually.