MB -Gigabyte GA EP35-DS4
HD- Seagate 500GB
Case -Coolmaster CM690
Optical- LG GGW-H20L
Memory- Corsair 2x 2GB ddr2 1066 Mhz
PSU -Be quiet 650w dark power.
OS- Vista 64 bit
Graphics- gigabyte HD4850(ati).
Built the above and went like a dream, then when I turned it on it immediately turned off and just kept goind on/off every 2-3 seconds.

I rebuilt out of the case- the same.
I removed each component in turn (just left with psu,cpu and MB)always the same.
Then got new PSU, the same.
then got replacement MB and CPU-- AND its still the same. IT Must be me ! can anybody help please. I've just run out of options

There are two separate places to attach the motherboard to the PSU. One is the 24 pin connection, the other is a 4/8 pin connection near your CPU.

It's also possible that the older P35 MB is not shipping with a BIOS that is compatible with the newer Wolfdale CPUs. You would need to have an older CPU to update the BIOS.

When testing, be sure to use just one stick of RAM and try each stick separately.

fsbee

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
thanks for quick answer,I have been connecting psu in both places (cpu fan keeps running if I DONT plug in the 4/8, I thought it might be the ram, but its the same with either stick or none at all. Checking the bios is a bit more difficult, Gigibyte list this MB as compatible with cpu, trouble is cant easily try an older chip

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
you can't get that wrong, so i guess is one of the components, usually MB can show symptoms you described, but second in a row i doubt it. The next logical conclusion will be the PSU.