Apr 16, 2009
Hi all,

I need an advice about two PC options.
1) -Processor: Q6600
-Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-CM (intel G31)
-Memory: 3Gb DDRII
- HD: 500Gb

2)-Processor: Q6700
-Mother board: Intel Pearl Creek (G31PR)
-Memory: 2GB DDRII
- Hd: 320Gb

It´s for normal use (surfing, movies, ripping) and some games.
Which of the configurations are better? Are these motherboards are appropiate for the Quad Processors? Any comment will be appreciate.

Thanx all..

I would suggest to go with the option I...
More RAM and more HDD space...
The difference in performance between those 2 CPUs is not significant for normal use...
About the motherboard, if you are not planning for any overclock or any other intense use, then its fine...But better off getting atleast a P43 mobo like the Gigabyte EP43 - DS3L

And as for the quads just a suggestion though... if you are about to buy new CPUs, then get the Q8X00 series as they are 45NM quads and consume less power and give out less heat...

misi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
And as for the quads just a suggestion though... if you are about to buy new CPUs, then get the Q8X00 series as they are 45NM quads and consume less power and give out less heat...

But I the Q8X00 series came with cache of 4Mb and the 6700 or 6600 with 8MB cache. it´s a significant difference or not?

Yes there will be difference in performance only in CPU intensive tasks like Video rendering, conversion, etc...
But for the normal tasks, you wont notice much significant difference as the Q8X00 series are more efficient clock-to- clock than the Q6X00...SO as to keep price of those quads down, they have reduced the cache...

If you don't want to loose out on performance and as well move over to the 45NM, the Q9400 is another option and has 6MB cache and it outperforms the Q6600 and is similar in performance to the Q6700...But it will be about $30 more than the Q6600...

misi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
For the same base price I can get:
-processor: Q8200
-motherboard:ASUS P5KPL-CM
-mem: 2Gb
-Hd: 250 gb

it´s better than the others one?

thanxs again

Hmm...but the Q8200 is cheaper than the Q6600...are you from US ?? And are you gonna buy online??
Stick with the Q6600 option...
More RAM and more HDD...
But I still feel the mobo is weak compared to other components...
You could get the Gigabyte EP43 - DS3L...

misi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

Do you know the mobo "INTEL TrinityVally Chipset Intel G41/Intel GMA X4500 + DVI"? It's a strong mobo that will use the best perfomance of the processor?

^+1
The onboard graphics is one of the weakest out there...it maybe suffice for a laptop but not for a desktop...
If you were planning to use onboard graphics, I would suggest you taking the AMD route as the onboard graphics on AMD chipset are far more powerful than the intel ones...and you can do away with external graphics too if you don't play much computer games...

misi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Where exactly are you buying from misi? Maybe we can give you better advice if we know you can buy online from the US or something.

Thanx, but I'm not buying it at US (at europe).

I don't think I will OC, so maybe the 8200 its a better choice?