Computer disaster!

lxseto93

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I just built my new computer and nothing is working! I loaded vista, and got to the desktop but the internet and sound don't work. I tried installing the drivers to my wireless usb adapter and unplugging the sound connectors on the motherboard but nothing works. The sound driver says the sound is working but it doesn't, and the internet drivers got installed but it wont even open. Does anyone know what the problem is?
I really don't want to take it to the computer repair shop because it could be expensive.. but I will if I have to. So if I do I'm just wondering how much it would cost to help install all the drivers and check my mother board and whatever to fix my computer at a computer shop.
thank you!

Specs:
mobo: evga 780i
processor: 2.66 GhZ intel core2quad
video card: evga gtx260
memory: 4gb ocz ram
hard drive: WD 640 GB 720rpm
power supply: pc power cooling 750 watts

Im an expert at computer disasters . Ive made a lot of them .

Have you
1/ run the driver disc that came with your motherboard?

2/ been through your manual and selected the options you want/need in BIOS ?
Try optimized defaults as a starting point

lxseto93

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I'm pretty sure all the settings are default. Do I need to change them or something? and I have already installed all the drivers.

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Just to make sure... go into the BIOS and make sure the MB audio and networking are turned on. Sometimes the BIOS turns them off. Also as soon as your able update the BIOS. There are a few fixes in the newer BIOS.

Did you plug your speaker plug into the green sound port on the back of the motherboard? Does the wireless adapter show up in your device manager? If the drivers are not digitally signed (ie chepo adapters) then the drivers will not install automatically. You have to locate them, upgrade to them, and windows will ask you if you want to use unsigned drivers, to which you click yes.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The price of a repair shop depends on where you live. Small town shops can cost generally around 50 bucks an hour. Then you could go all the way up to geeksquad's asanine price leves where you'll spend roughly 350 to 400 dollars. (Along with whatever random crap they'll talk you into, if they dont lie and tell you the parts are bad.)

Open the motherboard manual, flip to the installation page, and follow the step by step directions. After this, if things are not working, flip to customer support. You'll find a number to call for whichever country your in, and at what times. Call that number, and they'll sort you out.

showl

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
about sound ... i'm pretty sure it has something to do with digital sound pass through on your graphic card ..i know i had the same problem wiht my r3870 where windows assumed that the default sound device would be Ati HD audio ...I had to manualy select the onboard device as a default ... try ..might work ..( or even dissable HD sound on the VGA card, if you dont need it for movies)

A

yobigd20

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Are you using the front panel or back panel (motherboard) connectors to plus your speakers in? Try your back panel first. Are you using a sound card or just the motherboard's audio? Like the others have said, check your device manager to see if there are any yellow/red items meaning drivers are missing.