Help! Only 1 Computer Can Use Internet on Network - Any Ideas?

jordanf

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Can you help?

I am trying to set up a simple (ish) network which looks like this:

Internet (via Satellite) --> Router --> Computer 1 (wireless) & Computer 2 (Ethernet wired)

Trouble is, only 1 computer can connect. Which ever computer connects first...gets the connection.

More details:

We have just installed a Satellite internet system in our house. This is provided by Astra2Connect. The Satellite dish itself connects to the supplied 'IPmodem' terminal. This provided 'box' has just one output port - a standard LAN Ethernet port. As far as I can tell, this is a DHCP-enabled box. There is no option within its configuration screen to turn it off though, it is quite basic.

What I have done so far is connect this 'IPmodem' box, via its Ethernet port, to my old Router into one of its 4 available LAN ports. This is a Router I used for our old ADSL connection. It is a ZyXEL P660HW-T1 Wireless Router.

From this Router, I have connected one computer via Ethernet (wired) and one by wireless. However, only one computer gets recognised on the network and works. Whichever computer is plugged in first (or wirelessly connected...) gets the working connection. The other one gets a 'limited connection' error and can not see the Internet.

I have tried turning off the Wireless feature of the Router and using wired Ethernet cables on both computers, but get the same result.

I have disabled the DHCP server on the Router.

I have tried enabling it also...because I don't really know what I am doing :p

I have tried setting the IP, from memory, like this:

DHCP Server (the Satellite modem) = 92.250.142.1 (its default)
Router 92.250.142.254

The first computer to connect gets assigned 92.250.142.81

The second computer does not get assigned by the DHCP server at all (so it seems).

So... can anyone help me with this?

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to networking so bare that in mind =)

Thanks,

Jordan

What I have done so far is connect this 'IPmodem' box, via its Ethernet port, to my old Router into one of its 4 available LAN ports. This is a Router I used for our old ADSL connection. It is a ZyXEL P660HW-T1 Wireless Router.
This won't work because you are using a gateway, not a router. It has 4 Ethernet LAN ports, but no Ethernet WAN port. You need a router like the Linksys WRT54G that includes one WAN port and 4 LAN ports. The WAN port has to be connected to the Ethernet port of the IP modem.

jordanf

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Thank you, GhislainG.

I have just ordered a D-link DIR-300 Router which has an Ethernet WAN port as you described. And it makes sense now looking at what I was trying to do, and why it would not work.

Thanks again,

Jordan