HD clicking then disconnecting

Furieux

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Okay here's another strange one.

I have a brand new PC, here's the spec :

MOBO = Asus M4A89GTD PRO
CPU = AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Memory = G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK
PSU = OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

I also have an external HD with all my movies on it. Yesterday while listening to a movie, my HD made a clicking sound (which i'm really used too... it did it since day 1) then the movie freeze and the HD disapear from my computer too reapear seconds later. Then after restarting the movie, it did it again.

I tried it on my older PC and it made this same clicking sound but without disconnecting from the PC. I also tried it on my laptop and it worked fine with the clicking sound too.

I'm running Windows 7 on both PC and Vista on my laptop.

Could it be a problem with the USB cables ? Is it a problem with my new computer ?

By the way, the ''clicking sound'' is there since day 1, i own this external HD since January so it's about 6 months old. The External HD is a IOMEGA 1.5 TB

Please help me guys ! :)

linuxhero27

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
My laptop does the same sort of deal. It'll make 2 clicks, then a series of clicks, but then work fine with no loss of anything. Hard drives do weird things.

Best I could suggest is find the manufacturer of the HDD (not just iOmega, but the company who actually made the HDD). Then run that manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic test on the HDD.

If it fails, you can try SpinRite. If that still fails, find a replacement.

Criminals get through Windows. They don't get through Linux.

lisaellen29

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Have you found a solution? I have an HP DV7 running windows 7 64bit. I have been wrestling with a LaCie Quadra for over a year that disconnects only from this system. It runs fine on my XP desktop. I have a Toshiba and a couple of Western Digital hard drives that run beautifully on my HP DV7 laptop. I finally worked a deal with LaCie and they sent me a brand new LaCie Quadra to try. Same issue - firewire and esata connections (I've yet to try usb).

What is going on? The drive disconnects as soon as I try to copy a file from my laptop to the drive (or vice versa). I am really tired of playing around with this. Unfortunately, for video editing this seems to be my best choice.

Thanks,

Lisa