azazel1332

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I just recently had to replace my e8400 after a mishap when transfering my rig into my new termaltake swordM with liquid cooling. I got the new cpu installed it on my striker extreme mobo and booted up with stock speeds and did a burn in test, all was fine so i applied my overclocks (same as the previous e8400) . I am running it on win7 ulitimate 64bit. but for some reason i am getting strange errors mostly in iexplorer saying it has to close but never really does it just recovers the tab, same in steam it also seems to get odd errors but yet super Pi and hyper Pi run smooth and prime95 for 12hours shows everything is good.stock speeds i have no problems at all but as soon as oc they start up, is this a windows issue because i have not run into this before when overclcoking my own builds or pre-oc'ing a customers build, and i seem to remember reading somewhere about win7 64bit seeming to have some issues with oc'ing or do i need to rma the cpu?
specs are
Asus Striker extreme mobo
e8400 cpu@ 4GHz 1.328Vcore family 6 ext family 6 model 7 ext. model 17 Stepping A Revision E0
Core speed 4005.0MHz, Multiplier x9,bus speed 445.0MHz,Rated FSB 1780.0MHz.
4GB DDR2 800 OCZ SLi Edition Ram @ 890Mhz (1:1 ratio) 5,5,5,17 @2.1V
Sapphire 5750 @840/1345 (5830 on order)
Northbridge and Southbridge seem to stay at 1.5-1.55 V in everest

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
If the CPU is running fine at stock speeds and settings, then there is no reason for a company to issue an RMA.

Different software behaves differently, as it loads a system differently and therefore will create all sorts of results. It is not a W7 particular problem with OC, it is just that the OS is loading your system (CPU, VGA, memory) differently and since it is more demanding than XP, something that was running fine there might cause troubles here. You could lower your overclock until it is stable or buy another CPU, but that is always the luck of the draw...

azazel1332

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
[/url]quotemsg=1864941,2,99870]If the CPU is running fine at stock speeds and settings, then there is no reason for a company to issue an RMA.

Different software behaves differently, as it loads a system differently and therefore will create all sorts of results. It is not a W7 particular problem with OC, it is just that the OS is loading your system (CPU, VGA, memory) differently and since it is more demanding than XP, something that was running fine there might cause troubles here. You could lower your overclock until it is stable or buy another CPU, but that is always the luck of the draw...[/quotemsg]

The cpu was never run on xp both the previous e8400 and this one are both on W7 64bit. I am also noticing that in real temp my core temps are reading 35c at idle with the thermaltake swordM's liquid cooling (case link) http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1272&ID=1418 even with the top and side open and my air conditioning on 18c in a 17x12 bedroom is starting to make me wonder if i have bum chip i do know that there was some issues with the e8400 in respect to stuck sensors but not sure if that could cause the problems i am seeing,also as i said it is not just a matter of lowering the clock speeds because the only place it seems to not give any of these strange errors is at stock albiet the temp problem is still there.

4745454b

Titan
Again, if it runs fine at stock its not a bad chip. OCing does have the "luck of the draw" as a part of it. Perhaps this one can't OC as far, or needs a bit more voltage or ??? Just because your old one did it doesn't mean the new one will as well.

azazel1332

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

Ok pulled the chip this morning and cleaned off the thermal paste from it and the waterblock, i called up my supplier and told him the problem and turns out he had a C0 and E0 stepping there and somehow they got switched? not sure how that would have happened unless comparing them side-by-side and slid back into the wrong boxes but sounds fishy to me especially considering he was real fast on the ball to come up with this explaination givin that there is no real way to tell just by looking at the top of the chip. I should have looked a little closer at cpu-z i guess. So all seems to be running well now my new cpu-z validation should be in my siggy. End result the C0 stepping just didn't like overclocking i guess because here is my E0 stepping E8400.
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 2 Cores - 2 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1), EM64T, VT-x
CPUID : 6.7.A / Extended : 6.17
CPU Cache : L1 : 2 x 32 / 2 x 32 KB - L2 : 6144 KB
Core : Wolfdale (45 nm) / Stepping : E0
Freq : 4050.03 MHz (450 * 9) @1.28V.
4hours of prime95 but i will run it again for atleast another 6-8hours just to make sure that all is running as it should.
Thanks for the replies.

azazel1332

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
You actually can't tell by looking at the 2 side by side so maybe his explanation is true about the chips getting into the wrong boxes, i don't know hard to say i do know that he said he was planning to use the e8400 that he had left in stock after i bought 1 in his wife's computer so again hard to say all i know is that he had a C0 and E0 and i spefically asked for the E0 because of my previous one being insanely overclockable with very little in the way of voltage increase and rock solid.But the issues is fixed and i am once again happy,now i can get down to some gaming and see just what this new SwordM LC case can put out.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
LOL, you can probably tell if you checked the serial numbers.. anyhow... you got a better CPU and off you go! Like always, overclocking is just luck of the draw.. if you get a good component or not.

Congrats on your new (better) CPU! ;)