Sign in with
Your question

Intel's Warranty

Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2009 2:51:07 PM

:hello:  Anyone ever have to deal with Intel warranty support?

I find it completely bogus to void warranty because a better heatsink/fan/thermal paste is used because it's some how making an alteration to the CPU. Atleast that's what I was told.

And what about liquid coolers, they are going to tell me that voids the warranty too? :heink: 

This rant comes after speaking with someone via Intel online chat - rejected a warranty because of an aftermarket cooler. Now I could understand if the heatsink wasn't made for the chipset and altered to fit. But all other possibilities aside from not installing it correctly - which can be done with the stock heatsink as well I really don't see this a valid reason to void a warranty. Let alone the retail computer manufactuarers using their own flavor of fans/heatsinks.

Of course all I gave was my email address to the gentleman so I proceeded to contact Intel via phone and tell them the stock heatsink was used. Feeling slightly guilty for this but really not seeing Intel's way of getting out of a warranty - and me a few hundred dollars on a processor. It's always on the top of anyone's custom computer list to get a better cooler, well known the stock is just barely sufficient for a lot of processors. Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

And no my problem was not related to overclocking or over heating - or in fact any misuse. :non: 

Thanks for reading - end rant.

More about : intel warranty

April 17, 2009 4:59:55 AM

Honestly, unless you installed the aftermarket cooler wrong and somehow physically damage the CPU, there is really no way they would know that you used one. I looked at their 3-year warranty PDF and I don't see anything in there that mentions the use of an aftermarket cooler voiding the warranty. They do mention alteration, but IMO that would be more along the lines of padmods or lapping/removal of the IHS.
http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/english...

I do however find it hilarious that they use the term "obliterated" in one of the warranty extent clauses :D 
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 5:10:59 AM

They will replace it ... providing you didn't tell them you were punching tons of volts though it and just run out of dry ice in the copper tower after getting sub 10 sec super pII's.

Just box it up (according the the original packaging) and send it to who they tell you.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 5:21:35 AM

You're a US customer right?

Personally, I haven't been in a situation where I've had to avail of my warranty, but I agree with you: why would Intel refuse to honor? It's just a bit worrying when mentioned bending the truth about using a stock cooler, but if you installed the aftermarket cooler after you build your rig, then I guess it's technically true? :p 
April 17, 2009 1:40:41 PM

Yes I'm a U.S. customer -

I'm glad I'm not the only that thinks it's pretty ridiculous.

Lostandwandering - That's exactly the arguement I made when speaking to someone via their online chat, I didn't alter anything! I just used a better performing/looking cooler.
July 9, 2009 12:00:05 AM

I just got off of a chat with Intel, having the very same issue. Apparently I complained loud enough that they're willing to do a one time exception (gee ... thanks for honoring your warranty). So, if you find yourself in this situation, do what I did ... complain ... a lot. This needs to go public. I'll see what Consumer Reports has to say about this.
July 9, 2009 2:19:51 PM

WTFINTEL said:
I just got off of a chat with Intel, having the very same issue. Apparently I complained loud enough that they're willing to do a one time exception (gee ... thanks for honoring your warranty). So, if you find yourself in this situation, do what I did ... complain ... a lot. This needs to go public. I'll see what Consumer Reports has to say about this.

Yea good idea man!
!