New ASRock A760G-no video, no hard drive

lmacmil

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Did a mobo swap on a socket A, Windows XP SP3 system. New ASRock A780G mobo, new 4850e CPU, new 2GB Kingston DDR2800. Everything else (Seagate IDE HD, Samsung IDE CD burner, Liteon SATA DVD burner, PCP&C PSU) kept the same. When I power on, the CPU and case fans spin but I have no video (using a CRT on the VGA port) and no hard disk activity. The CD tray doesn't operate but the DVD tray does. I checked the 4-pin connector and get 12.02v and 4.95v.

The HD is jumpered as master and on the middle connector of the 80-conductor IDE cable. The CD burner is jumpered as slave and on the end connector. This configuration worked fine with the socket A mobo and would boot from either HD or CD.

I removed the IDE cable from the CD and put the end connector on the HD. I think the HD was now spinning and the CD tray would operate but still no video. I have an LCD monitor I will try with the DVI output but other than that, I don't know what to do next. Suggestions are welcome.

Just FYI, I have built all my PCs since the PC AT days and have never had a system not operate upon assembly.

lmacmil

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

The plan was to do a repair install of Windows so I kept the system the same. I will pull the wireless card and 1 stick RAM tomorrow and see what happens. Video is on the mobo.