ares1214

Splendid
Hello all! recently i bought an extra 4 gigs of ram for my system. Ironically, a bit after my cpu cooler broke. Anyway, i put in the stock cooler, still gets my 955 to about 3.5 easy, however i am not gonna use stock. So now my problem is what do you all think would be the best cooler for the money to get my 955 to 3.8-4.1 GHz, and most importantly, what will fit. this ram is really big, ocz reaper:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227559&cm_re=ocz_reaper-_-20-227-559-_-Product

to give you all the info on my specs, i have a MSI gd-70 790fx mobo, full tower case, xclio a380 to be exact, and all 4 slots filled with that ram, or equivalent sized ram. budget is about $50, lower is much better, dont exceed $50. thank you! :D

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Hate to break it to you, but the best bang-for-the-buck CPU air coolers all interfere with tall Ram heat-spreaders like what you are using. You could try a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (normally $30 or less) with a single fan pulling air through the cooler, as opposed to pushing it through, as the fan would interfere with the heat-spreaders in the push position. Be warned though, not having a shroud to direct all the air over the HSF fins means that not all the air being pulled through will be put to use, and it will perform at a lower level than those of us that have that cooler in push, or push/pull config.

ares1214

Splendid
yeah, thats the bad thing, it cant interfere with the RAM like all good 120 mm HSF's would. however, considering the amd stock cooler fits with a few mm left, and its a 92 mm fan, i was figuring i could get a decent 92 mm hsf. better than stock, but of course not as good as the better ones, like the hyper 212. i have a list, but have any decent 92 mm hsf recommendations?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Well, another option is a bit of a hack job, but running dual fans in Push Pull configuration with a 212+ (find elsewhere for $30 or less) by clipping the Push (ram side) fan higher up on the HSF. you will loose efficiency compared to it blowing entirely into the fins, but it would undoubtedly still outperfrom a lone Pull configuration.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
First up is my 212+ the day it was installed with both Push and Pull fans, both 90cfm CM LED fans, the blademaster is not my rear exhaust fan for my case, heh. You can see in the picture that the push fan is barely clearing the normal profile OCZ sticks. In reality is it about a quarter of an inch of total clearance with the push fan in normal clip on position.
21202.jpg

And here is the same HSF and fans, but I clipped the Push fan as high up on the tower as the top clip would go. Using Zipties etc, you could go farther, I just wanted to demonstrate how it can me moved away from the memory. My apologies for the crappy picture (old crappy camera) but I tried to demonstrate the shift with the yellow lines comparing both fans, and the green lines to show the extra space to the memory. It's been a few weeks since I cleaned the heatsink, with 2 smokers and 2 cats in the home, it gets dirty fast :p
Warning: Doing this any more than 1cm increases the clearance needed for the HSF in your case, as the max height of the 212+ is at the heatpipe caps, which are about 1cm long above the last fan.
OffsetPushFan02.jpg

Another option that just occurred to me is to create a bracket to which you can attach a 92cm fan and while fitting onto the 120mmbracket supplied with the 212+. Out of something stiff and thing, something like this I think would work.

92to120.jpg

EDIT: Added quick mspaint draft of a 92mm to 120mm bracket.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
On my motherboard, yes, the Heatsink itself is not close to the ram, in this picture you can see that its only the very end of the 25mm thick fan that is over the last memory slot.

DSCN2223.jpg

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
The motherboard in the pictures I took today is a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with DDR3 Gskill memory. The first picture was on a Gigabyte MA789G-UD3H with DDR2 OCZ memory. I have used the same 965BE on both boards.

I haven't owned many aftermarket heatsinks, but I have noticed that most tower design HSF share this same issue.