Power surge took out LAN card?

Loonacy

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
While I was at work a power surge took out my cable modem. It wouldn't even power up. No biggie since I had a spare. I got it up and running and can connect from my laptop and my wife's computer but my computer cannot connect to the internet. In the device manager the network card doesn't even show up. I tried reinstalling the drivers and tried to do add new hardware to hopefully find the network card with no success. It has only been since this incident that my computer cannot connect to the internet and it won't go into standby (it immediately wakes up). Prior to this everything was fine. So my question is this: While I am fairly certain a power surge took out my cable modem, could it have traveled through the LAN wires and damaged my MB without damaging the router? Would a damaged network card keep a computer from going into standby? Thank you in advance for your help.

Kevin

Dunno if its "possible", but it sure looks like it did, eh?

Probably a waste of time, but did you disconnect your PC's lan wire from the network card, cold reboot the PC, and see if the LAN card "comes back? (short in router port)

Again probably a waste of time, but can you plug your PC's cable into your router in place of your wife's? (known working router port)

Dunno about your last question, but it sure looks like it can lol.