Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quick review on my unlocked Athlon II x3 435

Last response: in Overclocking
July 14, 2010 2:55:44 PM

Hey, I saw a bunch of post talking about unlocking the Ahtlon II x3 435.

Here's what I got:

I unlock the fourth core, so now in the BIOS and in windows it says that it is a Phenom instead of an Athlon (I can't recall what model, I am at work).

There is two majors consequence in my case:

1- I cannot go back to my tri core processor, I am stuck with the fourth core.

2. Since I unlocked it, my CPU is burning hot.

Before unlocking: the heat would go between 30 something to 50 something.
After unlocking : the heat would go between 42-46 to 61 and over.

I had to get a new heat sink (still waiting shipment from newegg)
If you want to know what is my config (mobo, psu...) let me know.

Hope it help someone out there make to right decision.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2010 3:11:49 PM

lobsterm said:
Hey, I saw a bunch of post talking about unlocking the Ahtlon II x3 435.

Here's what I got:

I unlock the fourth core, so now in the BIOS and in windows it says that it is a Phenom instead of an Athlon (I can't recall what model, I am at work).

There is two majors consequence in my case:

1- I cannot go back to my tri core processor, I am stuck with the fourth core.

2. Since I unlocked it, my CPU is burning hot.

1. A simple "reset to default settings" option in the bios will reverse the unlocked core if you are incapable of manually doing it by reversing the options that enabled it.

2. Correct. relatively, you are increasing the core count by 33%, thus, 33% more heat will be produced.

Also, you mention that it unlocked to a phenom. In the very beginning of the Athlon II's life on the market, many triple cores were produced using Phenom II chips. The main difference between AthlonII and PhII is that the latter has L3 cache, while the former has none. You may have unlocked the disabled L3 cache as well, which will also generate extra heat. Check your CPU-Z to see if the the L3 cache area is greyed out or shows a value. If so, you might be one of the very few people that has unlocked the L3 cache. If the heat increase is due to it actually being active (part of the heat increase anyhow) you are in an exceedingly small % of people with that sort of luck. Aftermarket HSF is a good idea, I hope you ordered a quality one.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 4:15:41 PM

Sorry, link only goes to front page of Newegg, can't tell what you are getting.
m
l
!