Ga-ma770-ud3 no bios screen after a voltage change

jbarzda

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
while adjusting my voltage in bios to get my memory speed correct i can no longer post. all i get is one loud long annoying beep. i pulled the battery with the cord out. i jumped the cmos reset next to the battery and still get nothing. everything seems to be powering up but i get nothing on the screen. how exactly can you reset the bios to the stock settings ? all i get is a blank screen and a long beep.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi J

The last time I heard a long continuous beep it was the memory, right after adding new sticks. Unplug the PSU. Remove the mem sticks and discharge the motherboard by holding in the power button while touching the chassis for approx 30 sec. Add one stick and see if you can and post. Set your DRAM voltage & timing, save settings and reboot back into the bios. Shut down by the power switch and discharge the board again then add your 2nd stick. Repeat steps until done.

bilbat

Splendid
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Don't know what this 'discharge the motherboard' business is all about - do it right - always wear a ($3) grounding bracelet whenever working on 'coumputer guts' - cheap insurance for costly components. Grab a copy of MemTest86+ here:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
d/l the "Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)"; unzip it to .iso file; burn the .iso to CD (if you don't know how - post back) to make a bootable diagnostic disk...

Power off (PSU switch); [bracelet on!]; take all your RAM out; put one stick in slot 0; power on (PSU switch); power on (case switch); press the <Delete> key to enter BIOS Setup; press <F7> to load the optimized BIOS default settings; press <F10> to save the changes and exit the BIOS; upon reboot, once again, press the <Delete> key to enter BIOS setup; select "Advanced BIOS Features" page; cursor to "First Boot Device"; select "CDROM"; place previously created disk in CD drive tray; [close tray]; press <F10> to save the changes and exit the BIOS; upon reboot, let MemTest run one full pass...

If that pass is successful, that stick of RAM is likely OK; power off (PSU switch); [bracelet on!]; take that stick out; put second stick in slot 0; lather; rinse; repeat; until both (or all) sticks are tested...

Find a bad stick? - problem solved; RMA stick;
All good? Power off (PSU switch); [bracelet on!]; put all your RAM in; power on (PSU switch); power on (case switch); boot OK? - problem solved; still beep and no boot? - post back, we'll help you get it running...

Good luck, and remember, the key word here is 'patience'!

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
"Don't know what this 'discharge the motherboard' business is all about"

If you don't know then you probably do need a wrist band.........If he don't have a wrist band should he stop and wait a week for one to arrive in the mail? Would you?

bilbat

Splendid
Original post claimed "never ruined anything from static"
Illustrates only that it's better to be lucky than smart...

I do industrials for a living; it's one thing to cook a $50 stick of RAM, or a $200 desktop MOBO; entirely another to fry a $3500 industrial...

It's the same premise I use to warn about using @BIOS: you might get away with playing Russian Roulette once, and only hear a 'click'; you might get away with it the second time, too; but, after pull three of the trigger, the odds stack up against you - you keep pulling that trigger, you will blow your brains out! I do this for a living, I can't afford to bet on 'lucky' - I have to go with smart:
dscn1649s.jpg

.........If he don't <sic> have a wrist band should he stop and wait a week for one to arrive in the mail? Would you?

Let's see - ahhh, no, and yes; if he doesn't have a wristband, he should pop over to a local computer shop and buy one (might cost a whole five bucks there, versus the three for inet order); and yes, I would wait. That's why I advised patience - of which no one, these days, seems to have any! Before building my last workstation:
http://www.sevenforums.com/68978-post410.html
I spent two months evaluating components, reading, roughly, a hundred or so manuals and web support sites. I ordered six sticks of RAM, and spent in excess of a week, twenty hours each, just qualifying, testing, and speed-binning them myself, picking the four fastest. I put together about six thousand dollars worth of components (including seven OSs on two RAID0 pairs of Velociraptors, a pair of RE3s in RAID1, an ESA fan controller board without the (thought to be requisite) nVidia chipset, air cooling, water cooling to a radiator a floor away), amazingly, without a single RMA! Lucky, or smart? A little of both, I guess...

But, every time I buy a component, I pay close to a 10% 'idiot tax' - the cost of unwarranted RMAs (80% of which are for components that 'test good' [the idiot couldn't make it work]; 15% for components ruined [by the idiot, again] by mishandling - static, plugged it in wrong, etc.; 5% shipped defective), which the manufacturers and vendors are certainly not going to 'eat' - they pass 'em along to us!!

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Dude, do you know how many people don't use a wrist band? It is an alternative not the only option. "industrials for a living" So what, there are guys passing through Tom's that make your little bio look like a joke........I can't believe you went through all this trouble with the pics and links for this, what are you smoking?

bilbat

Splendid
This is a Smörgåsbord, one takes what one finds provident - no one forces you to do anything. I try to cite the details I believe important, while, like a physician, "doing no harm"...

The 'hold the button' thing is an old wives' tale, partially drawn from mis-inference regarding superstitions about 'clear CMOS' operation; from 'MacRumors:'
"What does holding power button do?"
"This also discharges static right?"
"Where'd you hear that from? If you're not properly grounded, then static build up can and does discharge through the computer if you touch it while it is plugged in."

Fact - on some MOBOs and some PSUs, holding the button will discharge the on-board capacitors; does nothing re. ESD...

Fact - grounding yourself to the chassis will discharge ESD - assuming the chassis (and your outlet) is properly grounded, for exactly the amount of time you are grounded; after that, your luck may vary...

Fact - I live in the midwest, where for a third of the year our humidity is so abysmally low, I can walk across a nylon carpet and throw 3/16" (roughly 5mm) long sparks all day long...

Facts:
mm gap volts
0.5........ 2850
1........... 4350
2........... 7350
3.......... 10350
4.......... 13350
5.......... 16350

Fact - ESD 'kills' by junction puncture, due to high voltage and high Dv/Dt; modern junction metallurgy buffers this to some degree, making circuitry more ESD tolerant than it used to be in the early days of CMOS, but certainly grants no immunity...

I try to go into whatever detail I feel is necessary to: A - make the matter clear and easily followed, preferably step-by-step; (hopefully) B - allow it to be found later from a variety of search terms; and C - dispel ignorant myths...

I realize that, to this generation, a half-sentence of ingrammatical slop full of 'texting contractions' is a diatribe; I dictate most of this, so it's really no effort at all - acquiring factual knowledge, doing the research, reading the manuals - that's the effort...

You don't have to like my style - you don't have to read this...

Average: four times a week I'll get a 'thank you' for an expedient end to a pressing problem; once a week, I'll get an effusive thank you, offering, for example, to name their next child after me for a solution to what appeared an insufferable, insurmountable difficulty; once a month, I'll make a friend with whom I will correspond for months or years about: neurophysiology, 'post-human' cognitive philosophy, home-brew ceramic equipment, or just gear-head ramblings...

So, you see - I don't really care...

...Dude!

jbarzda

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
well i fryed the chip. i popped in another AMD i had and the chip is toast. just got the email back from newegg that they received the rma. i will pop in the replacement chip and not mess with the voltage this time. thanks everyone for your answers to my question.

msattel

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
After fighting with like 40 trys of jumper and battery resets I got lucky when I booted the computer twice with no CMOS battery. The second time it posted, and when it did I popped the battery back in. All good now!

TRENDING THREADS