Hardware comparison question..

dr awesome

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I've got two machines - excluding the video card, which I know about - which would be immediately better for gaming -

System 1
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core @ 2.5ghz
3GB DDR2 SD ram
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1

or System 2
Intel Pentium D Processor 805 Dual Core @ 2.66ghz
2GB DDR400 PC3200 ram
Windows XP Professional SP3

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
You couldn't have told us about the video card anyway? Sheesh...

Anyway... I'd be tempted to say the X2 since Pentium Ds tend to suck quite gloriously. Also, the DDR2 RAM would be considerably cheaper to upgrade in the future.

dr awesome

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Alright - to curb further curiosity - I'll be picking up an EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked Edition 512MB and a new power supply to go with it this coming month.

If that helps at all.

dr awesome

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

I wouldn't know about the nitrous/4 banger comments - this is my first post on these forums.

I'd imagine you're thinking and/or suggesting that the computer system is a POS, and I'm trying to put 'nitrous' in it by getting a better video card?

Anyway - thanks for the answer.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

Don't take it as a slam, maybe I should have put a ;) in there. If nothing else incrementally upgrading ones personal system, business uses are a different animal all together, is easier on the budget.

You are going the opposite way I'm doing it but then technically, I won't ever finish. Assuming the ATX system specification I started upgrading this system with a 386DX40 and 2M of RAM. While none of that system remains, I've had no system since then that didn't at least have parts from 2 or even 3 generations previous. Currently my last upgrade for a while will be a 4670 or 4830 video card. When I can find one at a price I can convince the wife is an unheard of deal. That or my PSU is past warranty and I'm thinking I'm seeing unacceptable fluctuations at the CPU. ;)

Ya gotta start somewhere.

dr awesome

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

No no - didn't take it as a slam at all. I've been building computers for years, so I'm aware that pre-built systems usually get a bad rap and aren't super mod ready, so no worries. I'm just trying to figure out the best configuration for the systems I've got haha.

The second system - the pentium - is a custom built machine I inherited, so I feel it might be more custom ready - the only downside is it still uses IDE, and the only ATA ports, which there are two of them, are too far down on the motherboard to reach the top shelf of the tower (pain in the ass...). The one I'm using with the Athlon is a Compaq pre built, so I'm aware it's somewhat limited. I've been out of the computing world for several years now, though, so I'm somewhat... behind at this point.

Any suggestions on what I could add to it would be helpful - even if it's a suggestion on what site I could go to in order to get a more customizable, game friendly system. I've got some cash available, so going for a new tower/board isn't out of the question. I'm just not trying to launch my account into the stratosphere :lol: