slovenc

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Oi I am new here and have a problem
i have 2 RAM sticks for 2GB(one for 1GB and second for 1GB to) computer worked fine for about 2 weeks.Well the problem is that when I pressed ESC on memory testing(on the beginning when booting).Its says press ESC to skip memory test so I did it and now when I have that 2 sticks for 2GB computer wont boot.Just a blacn screen appears when I turn on the computer.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Remove the RAM, reset the BIOS, insert one stick of RAM, try to POST. If it POSTs, instert another stick and boot. If that works, then get in to the BIOS and select the "quick-boot" mode to skip the testing. If you want to test your RAM, run Memtest86 overnight or something.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Yikes! That should not have happened. I agree, you may want to run memtest86 on the 2GB you have. Also, you may want to try each RAM DIMM individually, if you can POST with each one, then you should be OK. Worst case is that a DIMM is bad, in which case I would get a new 4GB kit anyway. DDR2 800 is good. Try that.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Can you enter BIOS? Esc, F2, delete,F12 at first startup, as soon as you power on. When you enter BIOS, hit F5 in most cases, this should "reset to defaults". As for POST, also knowen as Power On Self Test. If your RAM was OK then there would be no beeps, and you would complete POST. If you are hearing beeps right now, then at least one RAM DIMM is bad. Thus you are failing POST. Thats why we are saying that things like memtest86 should be tried on your RAM. To make sure nothing is Bad, memtest86 will tell you if there are problems. hope that helps.