Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashing

Last response: in CPUs
April 17, 2009 5:57:36 AM

ok im confused on this and it is really pissing me off i paid alot of money (to me) on a gaming computer i built and it seems to crash alot here is a list of parts

msi p43 neo 3 mobo
850w rosewill power supply
e7300 cpu
rosewill heatsink
sapphire 4850 gpu
g skill 800mhz 4gb ram
2 ide 120gb 5400 rpm hdds
6 case fans (i know my stuff is cool ive tested plenty)

ok what happens is everything is going fine computer has no problems for days or weeks (varies) games dont lag music plays fine everything seems flawless. then one day i turn on my computer my music starts to skip and be staticky games will randomly lag and internet runs slow restart computer and when vista starts to load i get bsod computer restarts put in vista dvd and do startup repair takes maybe 5min at tops to repair. computer boots up everything runs fine. wait days maybe weeks does the same thing. i have done stress tests, reinstalled vista on both harddrives, oc and then ran everything at stock, the only thing i havent tested is a sata harddrive (or atleast a newer one mine are like 5+ years old) and i havent tested my voltages coming out of my power supply if someone could tell me where to maybe start troubleshooting or maybe what to do i would gladly appreciate any input i can get cause i have tried everything i can think of and thanks to any help in advance

More about : computer crashing

April 17, 2009 8:04:55 AM

What is the BSOD error you are getting? Check windows event viewer for details. Might give you a clue. Worth running check disk to make sure you've not got any corrupted data on your hard drive....
Related resources
April 17, 2009 1:44:04 PM

Also check your drives are not using fallback to PIO. Could you post a HDTune benchmark screenshot or something, to see your HDD is not the curlpit?

Ofcourse you should also run Memtest86 as adviced, for a few hours or so.
April 17, 2009 6:28:10 PM

ok i will give all this a shot and get back to u guys and the rosewill one i got actually had very high reviews on newegg so thats why i went with rosewill but reviews are not always correct also
April 17, 2009 10:31:08 PM

here is what i think u were asking for i dont know how to add the screenshots so i put them on imageshack so here they are

http://img4.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=hdtunebenchmarkmaxt...

hopefully this helps i dont know how to find the pio thing but i checked my bios for anything like that and all my settings said dma also i only have 1 ide slot on my mobo and i do have them set to slave and master but i wouldnt think that would b a problem ive ran that setup on other computers before
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 2:03:08 AM

Memtest86 and make sure ram volts and timings are manufacvturer specs.
April 18, 2009 8:47:26 AM

oh sorry i did the memtest for 2 hours and said it passed everyone and ram volts and timings are all in spec the only thing i can think of is bad psu or the fact that ihave both hdds using the same ide cable and ones for music and games and the other is the os
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 8:40:27 PM

I would say it's a bad HDD. Faulty power supplies and ram problems occur instantly, not after a few days. My guess is the vista repair feature rewrites corrupted OS files, you pc works fine only to have the HDD corrupt the files again. 5 years of standard use is a good run for any HDD.
April 19, 2009 6:10:19 PM

yeah thats kinda where i was leaning but i just wanted to make sure everything else was ok which from testing seems like it is i guess i can start looking for a new hdd and hopefully that solves the issues the only thing that made me unsure is that it passes all the hdd tests and no corrupt clusters or anything but maybe there just starting to go bad
April 20, 2009 6:17:44 AM

silvers46 said:
yeah thats kinda where i was leaning but i just wanted to make sure everything else was ok which from testing seems like it is i guess i can start looking for a new hdd and hopefully that solves the issues the only thing that made me unsure is that it passes all the hdd tests and no corrupt clusters or anything but maybe there just starting to go bad

Doesn't HDTune have an error checker? It's the last tab, I think. It can check all clusters etc for errors, and tell you if that's the problem. I actually have a 10GB IDE hard drive going on 10 years old. And a 40GB going on 8.
April 20, 2009 6:19:23 AM

Ooops, maybe I should take that back. I just saw that your hard drive is a Maxtor :lol:  . Look on Google - hundreds of thousands of cases of Maxtors going bad.
April 20, 2009 7:31:01 AM

i did do a cluster check and that to see if it said it was bad or on the way out but everything came back fine said it passed the tests i did do a bios update for my mobo and a few other updates to c if maybe that will fix the issues going on 3 days and not a single problem so far i guess i can keep hoping
April 20, 2009 7:41:38 AM

silvers46 said:
i did do a cluster check and that to see if it said it was bad or on the way out but everything came back fine said it passed the tests i did do a bios update for my mobo and a few other updates to c if maybe that will fix the issues going on 3 days and not a single problem so far i guess i can keep hoping

Good luck! I hope everything turns out OK! :) 
!