AMD sleeper build on a budget.

So I tried to build an AMD based computer with cyberpowerpc.

* *BASE_PRICE: [+339]
* CAS: Sigma Gaming Orca Mid-Tower 400W Case [-20]
* CS_FAN: Default case fans
* CPU: AMD Phenom™ X4 9850 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+126]
* CD: Sony 20X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+2] (BLACK COLOR)
* FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
* FREEBIE_CU: FREE! (Age of Conan) Game
* FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINk
* HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives [+39] (500GB (250GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
* HDD2: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive -- Recommended [+44]
* MOTHERBOARD: MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset DDR2/1066 Dual 16X PCIE SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio [+37]
* MEMORY: 1GB (1x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Memory [-20] (Corsair or Major Brand)
* NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
* POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
* RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 512MB Video Card [+165] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
* _PRICE: (+696)

I will upgrade the following:
CPU fan& heatsink just not sure what will fit yet any ideas?
PSU 750-800 from tiger direct or newegg any suggestions?
RAM I like the look of these I have no idea about the fans?
Case fans from tiger direct or newegg something quiet and high quality.

OS thinking of XP just to keep it familar, I don't want to learn anymore just yet.

Ok there it is I am really looking for a reliable machine that will give me the most from the games of today and a few into the future.

Thanks for any input, and go easy on me, I have only ever used store bought PC's so what your looking at is the culmination of about two weeks of internet research.
8 answers Last reply
More about sleeper build budget
  1. I suggest you price the same system part on Newegg. You might not want to build a system, but look at what the shop is charging to build it.
    You won't need to add a CPU fan and heatsink, unless you overclock.
    You should upgrade or replace the PSU as 400W(maybe) is barely enough for the 4850 with the added drives and such.
    Get 2 GB of memory, any less should be a crime. You do not need RAM fans, cgood casee cooling will be fine.
  2. alcattle said:
    I suggest you price the same system part on Newegg. You might not want to build a system, but look at what the shop is charging to build it.
    You won't need to add a CPU fan and heatsink, unless you overclock.
    You should upgrade or replace the PSU as 400W(maybe) is barely enough for the 4850 with the added drives and such.
    Get 2 GB of memory, any less should be a crime. You do not need RAM fans, cgood casee cooling will be fine.

    Well the price quote is $696 plus shipping. I have been trying to put together my own systems with new egg but just can't get the same prices plus I have to build the machine where as this one is assembled.

    I stated that I would be upgrading the PSU and the RAM. I most likely will not get the RAM fans and save $10.
    I do live in a semi arid climate that gets really hot in the summer months 90F plus. I would like to project the CPU for $50 bucks I can put a nice heatsink and fan on there.
  3. So I guess the lack of replies means this is a good build.
    I am considering X2 6000 to further decrease the cost.
  4. sleeperific said:
    So I guess the lack of replies means this is a good build.
    I am considering X2 6000 to further decrease the cost.
    I don't know where you live, but midnight Central Standard Time is not a high traffic mine for replies.
    You live in a high temp area. The way to combat this is through a low power cpu, the opposite of an X2 6000! Try Intel or at least a low power X2. A Phenom II is over budget but is another way to get there, (just to be fair to AMD). The reason you can't match price w/Newegg is that this is basically a garbage system with a decent video card that you pay dearly for. Start with what you want to do; how much $$$ you can spend, and taking climate into account, what will be a reliable build.
  5. Hard drives with 8 mb caches are low end parts

    16 mb is mainstream and performance drives have 32 mb caches .

    Using two slow drives in RAID 0 ........ very questionable
  6. Just a start on ideas:

    COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP $50+ship 1/17/09
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106

    PC Power & Cooling PPCS370X 370W $55-20%-$20+ship 1/18/09
    Additional 20% off w/ promo code "Jansave20", ends 1/31
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703018

    Intel E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB $80+0 1/18/09
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX $97-15+ship 1/18/09
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131347

    Kingston 4GB DDR2 KVR800D2N5K2/4G $38+ship 1/18/09
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134582

    SAPPHIRE 100265L Radeon HD 4830 512MB $100-10+0 1/18/09
    -$5 use Promo code EMCABBEAK through 1/21
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102803

    WD Black WD6401AALS 640GB 32MB $80+0 1/15/09
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

    SAMSUNG Black 22X SATA DVD Burner OEM SH-S223F $26+0 1/18/09
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171

    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 OEM $90+0 1/18/09
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

    This total comes to $600 -$45rebates +shipping.
  7. Outlander_04 said:
    Hard drives with 8 mb caches are low end parts

    16 mb is mainstream and performance drives have 32 mb caches .

    Using two slow drives in RAID 0 ........ very questionable



    I hear ya.
    I liked the thought of Raid 0 but it may not happen with my budget. I realized the low cache rates as soon as you posted thanks.
    I would most certainly like to take advantage of higher caches, as this can be done on the cheap.
    Thanks again for the input.
  8. Newf said:
    I don't know where you live, but midnight Central Standard Time is not a high traffic mine for replies.
    You live in a high temp area. The way to combat this is through a low power cpu, the opposite of an X2 6000! Try Intel or at least a low power X2. A Phenom II is over budget but is another way to get there, (just to be fair to AMD). The reason you can't match price w/Newegg is that this is basically a garbage system with a decent video card that you pay dearly for. Start with what you want to do; how much $$$ you can spend, and taking climate into account, what will be a reliable build.


    I realize the time difference thanks for your replies.
    I will give your build suggestion a look over.

    I guess you have brought up something else I need to educate myself more about. CPU operating temps.
    I have been sticking with AMD because of the lower cost. If they runner hotter and I have to spend more to cool them perhaps the extra money that comes along with buying intel would be worth it.

    Thanks a lot I'll get back to you on your suggestions....
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build AMD Systems Product