AMD system upgrade - Advice

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hi all,

First of all, this may be a bit long, but I want to explain the reasoning of my decision before the thread got hijack into which offering is better argument.

I have been wanting to upgrade my PC since before Intel i7 was released - needing CPU, MOBO and RAM.
I want this upgrade to last as long as possible.
After lots of reading in the last few months... Core 2 Quad, i7, Phenom II and AM3 PII I have concluded to go with AM2+ Phenom II (reasoning as per below).

Current system:
- Socket 939 AMD64 3000+ (single core) - love it since Jan 2005.
- I have Antec 430W PSU with Antec case (don't remember the model).
- Nvidia Geforce 7800GT
- SATAII HDD

With my current system, I am happy to go with Intel or AMD offerings, no fanboi here.

I play game, but not one that require a system to produce 150+ fps on average fps game. I already have a 22" lcd monitor. I mainly use the computer for internet browsing, email, some movies, checking photos, etc.

The reasons I decided to go with the AM2+ Phenom II are:
- I can upgrade now (was gonna wait for AM3 cpu).
- Socket 775 cpu is not an option as I don't see the upgrade path down the road. I can upgrade to latest Phenom II in a year or 2 with the AM2+ mobo that 'm going to get.
- Lower cost compare to other options (DDR2).
- i7 is way better than Phenom II, there is no argument here. But consider my need above, I don't need a car that capable of running 200km/h while I mostly driving on a 60km/h speed limit zone.

Having said that, these are parts that I am interested in:

- CPU: Phenom II 940 BE.

- G.Skill 4GB (2GB x 2) PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) CL5 - F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

- MOBO choices (can't decide yet): Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H or DFI LANPARTY-DK 790FXB-M2RSH - open for suggestions.

I mainly would love to hear any advice regarding mobo selection. I will overclock the cpu (not extreme), so I may get a proper aircooler later on. I also would love to have a tidy case. If you able to give any suggestion on good mobo i.e good layout, work well with good cooler (i.e Thermalright Ultra 120), good airflow etc, would be much appreciated.

Note, I do aware that my PSU may not be adequate. Hope it is, else I'm happy to upgrade.

Thanks for reading & your thought :)

Ken

If your PSU is 4 years old it might be about done. You'll want to upgrade it before getting a new graphics card, anyway.

I'm sure you will be happy with Phenom II. It would not be my choice but it's not a bad choice.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
Scroll down for AMD.

I would recommend the Xigmatek Dark Knight from that list, due to the mounting options... but any of those are good.

Spend $10 more and get this kit with tighter timings:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I just recently bought a Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128360

It was at the suggestion of another poster on this forum. This board is easily the best I have owned to date. Has all the features you could want, good chipsets, and its AM3 compatible. Supports AM2, AM2+, AM3 CPU's up to 140 watts. The best part of all, it's only $80. That's what I would recommend from my own personal experience.

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, still looking for nice 790FX + 750 SB combo.

I don't mind to go Intel, but as previously stated I don't see ANY GOOD reason to go with them at this time. (If you think otherwise, I'm happy to listen :D )

Btw, Proximon I read the links on your signature. Good reading and helpful.

Thanks.