Graphics card dying??!

Alliot

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hey,

I have had a ASUS 8800GTX for the past 2 years or so and recently while playing video games it has been freezing and crashing to desktop and sometimes giving me a NV4_disp error in a box. Upon reboot the first time it did it to me, my motherboard display screen (Asus Striker Extreme) there where a bunch of red lines and the graphics where screwed up. This red line/screwed up display persisted for the next few reboots then just stopped after booting in safe mode a few times.

Things to note: I entered my NVIDIA settings page and the spinning NVIDIA icon displaying graphics quality/performance was flashing and blinking in certain spots, after a few rotations of the green symbol it froze and I had to close the window (this happened every time I opened the display control).

What I tried: I tried the old tried and true new drivers/old drivers. No fix. I then tried to reformat... It got worse! One of the games I play the most, World of Warcraft, won't even get past the password/account entry screen. Once the game application window opens everything is distorted and extremely slow. Before the reformat I could enter games and play them, it would just sometimes crash. Im thinking this is either a Graphics card problem or a PSU problem (Coolermaster Real Power pro 850w). Can anybody provide any insight on this please??

Note:Booting in windows is fine, I can use the internet etc... just anything that requires true graphics power is where the problem becomes obvious.

Thanks

Edit: I made it seem as though I can run in windows at not have ANY problems... To clarify I sometimes get weird graphical glitches (the red dots/black backround and freezing caused by this problem) while in windows (and not in a game or program)

Sounds like the dust gremlins to me.
Remove the card and check for dust/fur in the fan.
If it`s blocked, use a toothbrush dampened with pure alcohol to gently remove it and then blow through the heatsink the wrong way (towards the fan, not through it) to clean the internal fins out. You might also want to check any other cards installed and also the CPU cooler/fan at the same time.

Alliot

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Thanks alot for the info! I just purchased 4gb of ram so I think i'll give cleaning my case out a shot when I install the ram.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Your PSU is actually pretty decent. That same PSU is used in many test systems on here and they don' t seem to have a problem. I have the Real Power 650W and I haven't had any problems either. I would try cleaning out the dust and see if that resolves the issue.

Alliot

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
To clarify last time I gave my case a thorough cleaning was about 5 months ago, I'll give cleaning it a shot but I doubt its the dust.

Alliot

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I was worried it was a PSU issue. Well I decided to go out and purchase a BFG 280 OC and a new PSU just to be sure. I hope replacing my PSU and my graphics card will solve the issue.

MrMeth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I don't know what your system config is but i don't think your PSU is the problem I have 9800GTX+ running on a 500 watt antec with a x2 4800+ Oc to 3ghz , with 8 gigs of ram , 2 DVD drives and 3 hds with tons of usb peripherals!! My system runs 24/7 and after 2 years i still don't have any problems. I think your card is faulty , i had the same problem with an old ati 8500 pro i had back in the day , the card ran fine under normal windows activity and on the internet but as soon as i tried to play quake 3 or halflife , my system would freeze and hang and i would have tons of artefacts. Lucky for you asus has one of the best warranties of any of the manufactures (3 years ) and if you have had the card for 2 years you should be able to rma it and get a replacement. Even if you get a new card that's what i would suggest , this way when you get your new 8800gt back from asus you can through it in another system or sell it on ebay.