Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

I7 920 ... C0- D0- what's that

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 17, 2009 4:01:14 PM

hi ,
I recently read an article on tom's and find there is already two version and or stepping of I7. I try to find information on what is the difference netween those two but find nothing.

Can someone will explain to me what is the meaning od thoses terms:

Stepping D0 and stepping C0.
And what is the impact of that when I bought a cpu.

Thanks for explanation

More about : 920

April 17, 2009 4:24:49 PM

a D0 stepping i7 will overclock a hell of a lot further.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2009 6:07:04 PM

I can't find it but I saw an intel article that listed the issues with the C0 stepping CPU. My guess is that the D0 addressed some of these issues. It also OCed much easier, better, further... Although it is still luck of the draw. I had a C0 but was defective and the RMA was a D0. It OCed to 4GHZ without messing with much at all. Set the vcore to 1.3 and its stable. Anything less and it doesnt pass 1hr of OCCT maxed.
Related resources
April 18, 2009 7:47:35 AM

jay2tall said:
I can't find it but I saw an intel article that listed the issues with the C0 stepping CPU. My guess is that the D0 addressed some of these issues. It also OCed much easier, better, further... Although it is still luck of the draw. I had a C0 but was defective and the RMA was a D0. It OCed to 4GHZ without messing with much at all. Set the vcore to 1.3 and its stable. Anything less and it doesnt pass 1hr of OCCT maxed.


THanks Jay , can you tell me if on your CPu box what model did you see baych number .. I just want to know witch one I have. I know on he model or version it's written SLBCH... did that can confrim which one I have.

April 18, 2009 7:48:30 AM

SLBEJ is D0 so you have the older version.
April 18, 2009 7:51:26 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
SLBEJ is D0 so you have the older version.


Thanks for the answer I just find the information ... on intel website they said: Stepping is like revision/improvement of the same product during it's life cycle.


April 18, 2009 7:59:53 AM

yeah and by improvement they mean an extra 400mhz to 1ghz from overclocking.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 8:08:34 AM

1GHz is a bit optimistic - C0 920s could consistently hit 3.6 on air, while 4.0-4.2 seems to be the number for the D0 (and even that may be optimistic, though we'll have to see). I'd be curious to see what the D0 965s can hit too - I know my C0 965 is good for 4GHz on air (temp limited), and would be good for 4.3-4.4GHz on water (voltage limited).
April 18, 2009 8:15:38 AM

there aren't D0 965's, intel doesn't release the updated steppings for higher end cpu's, the 975 has D0 stepping though.

oh and a 920 D0 reached 4.63ghz @ 1.344v on air so 5ghz is probably do-able on water.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 9:05:55 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
there aren't D0 965's, intel doesn't release the updated steppings for higher end cpu's, the 975 has D0 stepping though.

oh and a 920 D0 reached 4.63ghz @ 1.344v on air so 5ghz is probably do-able on water.


First, I would bet that the 965 will be released as a D0 at some point, or just discontinued. There's no reason to continue to produce outdated steppings.

As for that 4.63GHz - it's amazing, but I would not take it as typical by any means. I would still say from what I've seen so far that 4.0-4.2 seems to be the average (though obviously, if you get lucky, you could go well beyond that).
April 18, 2009 9:15:18 AM

well the lowest for D0 I've seen is 4.2ghz at 1.208v, after that it's 1.344v though
April 18, 2009 4:14:43 PM

Hi,
For me at 3.9 on air 1.325v. It's ok . I don't want to set record speed with that cpu anyway.
I just use this cpu at 3.66 and a bfg gtx295 and I can play all the games I want at really high setting. So, the the other 300-500 mghz will be more then extra and i think i don't really need it.
For work I have some application who used the all threads to process information, meaning 8 thread start at the same time to process information. When i do work at home and the same workload the office,it took at least 50%-65% less time at home. When I show the result to one of my colleague the only thing he can say his: Gimme the list of the part you have in that monster, then he present that to my boss and they already orders the same build then I have for the 6 desktops we used. They only remove the gtx295 for lower the price and add 4870 1 gig.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 8:43:56 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
well the lowest for D0 I've seen is 4.2ghz at 1.208v, after that it's 1.344v though

Look up :) 

jay2tall has his D0 at 4.0@1.3V, and that's heat limited. It's still an excellent overclock, I'm just saying that expecting every chip to go to 4.2@1.2V is a bit too optimistic, despite how nice D0 is looking.
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2009 12:32:43 AM

cjl said:
Look up :) 

jay2tall has his D0 at 4.0@1.3V, and that's heat limited. It's still an excellent overclock, I'm just saying that expecting every chip to go to 4.2@1.2V is a bit too optimistic, despite how nice D0 is looking.

Yeah i did not want to push it any more because of heat. I'm positive it would go higher, I may still fiddle with the other voltages to see if I can not bring that 1.3v down and reduce the heat a little. Even with the D0 cpu's it going to be the luck of the draw when it comes to OCing. That's how it always is. Plus I get all confused when people list there temps because of all the monitoring apps out there and some read differently. I stick with good ol OCCT. (3.0.1)
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2009 12:57:23 PM

Just an update on that.... I think my thermal paste just needed some time to set and after being off all weekend, it is running 5C cooler now. It maxes out on a 1hr OCCT test at 85C (it hit 86C one time during each of the 2 tests I ran). Funny thing is I downloaded CoreTemp (which I never used) and it registers my temps 3-5C cooler. And it is not a constant difference, it's odd. It maxes at 83C in Coretemp, but idles at like 49-50C or so.

All I know is my buddy has a C0 and is sitting with a BLK of 195 because he has issues getting it to 200 and he is water cooled. And here I am with air hitting 4GHZ with virtually no effort.

Granted the difference between the two clocks is virtually unnoticeable in performance, The D0 does OC easier. There isn't any performance difference between the C0 and D0 probably just corrections in issue the C0 had.

Either way, if you have an i7 you should be happy as a clam either way. You should be able to get a 3.2GHz OC without much effort on a C0.
May 5, 2009 3:04:08 AM

So how do you tell them apart based on model number? Newegg has the model number as BX80601920 but does not list the stepping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&Tpk=core%20i7%20920

I saw the D0 listed elsewhere under this same model number but don't know if the C0 versus D0 have different model numbers. Just curious as to how to guarantee a D0 as I'm going to start putting together an i7 system in the next few weeks and going to have my first crack at Oc-ing.

May 6, 2009 1:31:41 PM

Doing some more research on C0 versus D0. Found the following on Intel's site

http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=37147

Looks to me that based on this, it's just going to be the luck of the draw on what you get at certain sites. The SPEC code seems to be the only indicator to differentiate. May come down to looking for retailers who explicitly specify SLBEJ.
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2009 2:12:11 PM

^
You will probably have better luck with retailers that circulate their stock faster, like Newegg. They are only making D0's now and so when the C0 stock is gone it will be only D0's. So your best bet is to go to a retailer that has since pushed out all of their C0 chips. I originally had a C0 but had a bad memory controller and RMA'ed it. I got a D0 back from Neweggs. That was about 3 weeks ago. I would assume they are not shipping D0 chips.
May 6, 2009 2:32:47 PM

I see your point. I looked at their customer reviews and some reviews from yet the past week were C0, while some were D0. Probably also depends on which warehouse they come from. I have some e-mails in to newegg and zipzoomfly to get some more details. If anything significant, I'll post here.
May 6, 2009 4:19:06 PM

Well i guess i am lucky, but with my c0 and v8 i hit 4.0 easy 4.2 somewhat unstable.
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2009 4:42:27 PM

^ either way you should be in the 3.8 or 4.0 ballpark with a good cooler. The V8 is a VERY nice cooler.
May 6, 2009 5:31:46 PM

I am looking at adding a TRUE 120 Extreme. The new 1366 version seems to come with one Thermalright 1600 RPM fan (Fluid Dynamic bearings) already. As I would like to do push/pull, would I add another 1600 RPM fan, or just get a same brand 2000 RPM one? In the latter case, which one would be used for pull versus push? Higher speed for pull or for push?
If 2000 RPM would be too noisy, I could just do 2x1600. Any comments on one versus 2 fans on this cooler?

http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120-1366-50985.html
May 6, 2009 5:35:58 PM

Why get the TRUE anymore?

unless the Titan Fenrir isn't available where you are then go for that, it's better and cheaper than the TRUE too because it has an 88CFM fan.
May 6, 2009 8:28:35 PM

I can find reviews on the Titan but nowhere to buy. I thought the TRUE was one of the preferred air coolers out there. Not correct? Low temps, low noise.
May 6, 2009 9:28:01 PM

I tried many cooled in my days, and i was relay impressed by the V8. It is a pain to install it, but if you do it right you will get more than you payed for, and it died silent on hi speed as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You can read the reviews on newegg, to get an impression.
August 24, 2009 9:47:23 PM

I would put the faster fan as the pull. If you have it as the push the slower fan will cause resistance.
December 30, 2009 7:13:54 AM

How do I know if it's D0 or c0. Where does it say?
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 11:05:16 AM

anthraxOC said:
How do I know if it's D0 or c0. Where does it say?

The S-Spec # will be SLBCH for C0 and SLBEJ for D0. The actual stepping is never explicitly stated as C0 or D0.
February 15, 2010 6:59:02 AM

jay2tall said:
.

All I know is my buddy has a C0 and is sitting with a BLK of 195 because he has issues getting it to 200 and he is water cooled. And here I am with air hitting 4GHZ with virtually no effort.

Granted the difference between the two clocks is virtually unnoticeable in performance, The D0 does OC easier. There isn't any performance difference between the C0 and D0 probably just corrections in issue the C0 had.

Either way, if you have an i7 you should be happy as a clam either way. You should be able to get a 3.2GHz OC without much effort on a C0.


I have C0 and want to OC to 3.2Ghz, I only picked up 1333 ram at the time but I am able to upgrade to 2000+ but at the moment I'm dealing with what I got I was wondering if you knew the setting for a stable 3.2Ghz OC, like vcore and whatnot thanks.
March 12, 2010 7:58:07 PM

When Im reading this thread it seems that my Core i7 C0 revision is some what magical. =)
Im running overclocked at 4 ghz BUT with core voltage lowered to 1.152v (to reduce heat).
I havent really spent that much time optimizing it so Im sure I can lower vcore even further and raise CPU clock even further too.

Its 100% stable both in Prime 95, Linpack and Boinc.

CPU temperature is now 59 degrees Celsius under full load.
Using watercooling with Cuplex XT di cooler. (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/aqcocuxtdido1.html)
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2010 10:01:59 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
SLBEJ is D0 so you have the older version.

jive said:
Thanks for the answer I just find the information ... on intel website they said: Stepping is like revision/improvement of the same product during it's life cycle.



He means the newer version. C0 is the older version, D0 is the newer verison.
March 12, 2010 10:15:54 PM

Cuplex said:
When Im reading this thread it seems that my Core i7 C0 revision is some what magical. =)
Im running overclocked at 4 ghz BUT with core voltage lowered to 1.152v (to reduce heat).
I havent really spent that much time optimizing it so Im sure I can lower vcore even further and raise CPU clock even further too.

Its 100% stable both in Prime 95, Linpack and Boinc.

CPU temperature is now 59 degrees Celsius under full load.
Using watercooling with Cuplex XT di cooler. (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/aqcocuxtdido1.html)


What is your bios setting if you don't mind?

I managed to do this much on air. http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1072596
March 18, 2010 5:51:27 PM

Just out of curiousity what Temps are you getting Running a D0 stepping i7920 at 4.0 Ghz? I'v gotten mine up to 3.8Ghz stable @ about 82-84. I think I have my voltage at 1.25 but I didn't want to raise it higher cause of temps. I'm just curious what are safe temps with failry decent air cooled overclocked at 3.8 and higher?.

I current;y have a stock Cooler Master V8 but I've just ordered the Prolimatech Megahalems to see if it will bring the temps a little further into safer range of 70's or even 60's. I order 2 extra fans from what I read to set it up in a push pull config, but we will see what effect that has.
August 27, 2010 5:44:29 PM

well my c0 maxxes out at 68degrees celcius core heat and 58 for the temp that's labeld cpu in HW monitor and then im up to 3.59 Ghz :D  at 1.25V
And this is my first rig and my first oc :p  will lower my ram settings and see what i can get out :D 
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2010 5:53:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!