Closed

Scythe Ultra Kaze 3K RPM Issue

I recently bought a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3K RPM case fan (133 CFM, 44 dba) from Newegg, which works fine when connected to the motherboard or directly to the power supply. However, when I hooked it up with the 3 to 4 pin adapter that it came with and connected that to my Cooler Master Storm Sniper BE fan controller, it makes an odd ticking/humming noise at low-med settings. The sound is immediately recognizable and gets pretty annoying after a few minutes. The sound goes over my 6 Nocuta 120mm 54 CFM fans, which are quiet but audible. When the fan controller is cranked up to max, the whoosh of the air is louder than the sound. Naturally I thought the fan was defective, so I RMA'ed it, and got a new fan. However, the same problem persists with this fan. Before I question Scythe USA, I want to know if this problem has occurred elsewhere. So was I unfortunate or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about scythe ultra kaze issue
  1. Also, I forgot to mention that the first fan spilled oil, and I tried hooking up both fans directly to the PSU at 12V, 7V, and 5V. 12V has no ticking, but 7V and 5V do.
  2. Mine do that too, I have two of them. They run at 89-100% all the time though.
  3. Bump
  4. bump
  5. spilled oil?

    mines is connected to a Scythe Fan controller and does not make any sounds other than those of an F-16 at full throttle. Might want to check that fan controller again, or connect the fan to one of the fan headers on your board, go into bios and lower the fan speed to check for those sounds again.
  6. The first one spilled oil, but the one that didn't also makes the grinding sound.
  7. My Ultra Kaze also used to make that sound, but after like an hour it was gone.
  8. Cmon folks...I need a solution...=P
  9. Zzz...
  10. omg..bump
  11. Bumpage
  12. I have exactly the same problem with NXT fan controller.
    I have two ultra kaze fans connected to that and it gives the scratching sound if I don't crank up the power to the highest.

    Do we need to lubricate the fan motor with WD-40 or something?
  13. frostshoxx said:
    I have exactly the same problem with NXT fan controller.
    I have two ultra kaze fans connected to that and it gives the scratching sound if I don't crank up the power to the highest.

    Do we need to lubricate the fan motor with WD-40 or something?


    No, it seems that since the RPM on the fan is so high and it's a sleeve bearing, lowering the voltage too much will set off that scratching sound. :(
  14. Anonymous said:
    No, it seems that since the RPM on the fan is so high and it's a sleeve bearing, lowering the voltage too much will set off that scratching sound. :(


    In that case, would the fan break if it were to be operated at the lower voltage overtime?
  15. frostshoxx said:
    In that case, would the fan break if it were to be operated at the lower voltage overtime?


    Probably not, but I wouldn't do it since the sound is really annoying anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Fan Fan Controller Overclocking