Sign in with
Your question

GA-X58A-UD7 handle 8 drives in raid?

Last response: in Storage
July 22, 2010 3:09:35 PM

GA-X58A-UD7 have six native SATAII slots via ICH10R, two SATAII slots via "GIGABYTE SATA2" controller and two fast SATAIII slots via Marvell SE9128
I know question is stupid, but just want to sure of my thinking, that two independed controllers can not interact with each other?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2010 6:43:52 PM

kenium said:
GA-X58A-UD7 have six native SATAII slots via ICH10R, two SATAII slots via "GIGABYTE SATA2" controller and two fast SATAIII slots via Marvell SE9128
I know question is stupid, but just want to sure of my thinking, that two independed controllers can not interact with each other?

well my friend i own the ud5. u have 10 sata ports. 6 of them are connected on intels controller via the southbridge on the x58 chipset the 6 can be raided together. well for the other 4 there are 2 separate controllers. this means that each controller can handle up to a maximum of 2 hard drives ( at least this is what happens with ud5) so :

intels controller controls 6 sata ports
gigabytes sata 2 controls 2 sata ports
marvell se9128 controls 2 sata ports

the controllers cannot communicate or join their sata ports in order to make 6+ hard drive volumes . each controller in independent and therefore cannot interact with eachother

i hope i ve helped ;D
!