Corrupt OS - Can't get into a normal boot

Evan20x

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I'll get straight to it.

In my recent build I used my hard drive containing all of my data on it from my old computer where the motherboard went bad. Once I built my new computer salvaging over parts I could use I installed everything and it booted up with no problems except for having to re-install drivers and such. I was thankful not to have to to a fresh install.

This is the thread containing info on my new build.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313949-31-build-finalized-pics-feedback

Everything was fine and dandy until yesterday. I ran "sfc /scannow" and it told me to put in my XP disc, so I did and it continued and I suspect something went wrong here. SFC finished up and after it was done no further prompts came up telling me anything so I was like good it didn't find nothing wrong so I rebooted my computer anyways and this is when all the problems started. I booted up and logged into XP and then things started to get extremely sluggish. Clicking on start would take atleast 10 seconds, I would click all programs and that would take atleast 20 seconds. Programs would take minutes to launch.

I rebooted and it came to the login screen, I enter my password then it would just sit there blank screen only showing my wallpaper and it would sit there endlessly on that screen. I was able to hit ctrl alt del and bring up that box with task manager, shut down, etc. I would try to bring the task manager up and no dice. Then after a few more reboots it came up before the WinXP loading screen could show saying

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

So after a lot google searching and I mean a lot I finally repaired my hive using this method.

I made progress on the problem and that showed some relief. So it got booted up and the loading screen got finished and I went to login and then all of a sudden I get this error

"A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code 0x80090019."

Then it would kick me back to login without being able to get into my user account. I fixed this problem by registering a bunch of .dlls under safe mode. Speaking of safe mode it would boot right into it just fine. When I got into safe mode it automatically installed all of my drivers automatically. I guess since I restored the registry hive?

Now I try to boot into Windows XP normally and Windows tells me this following message..

"This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation and you have not yet resolved the problem. This copy of Windows is no longer eligible to receive the full range of upgrades and product support available from Microsoft.

To protect your copy of Windows, click Resolve Now."

So I click it then it plays the logon sound and I see an error "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now? Yes or No option." So it tells me again in a different looking box??? I now click yes and it does nothing further after this just sits there displaying a black screen not a powered off black screen but a black screen showing the mouse curse which I'm able to move around. I can't right click to bring up a menu. I can't ctrl alt del. I can't bring anything up just a mouse curse to move around.

Also I cannot start Safe Mode with networking. It basically does the same thing when trying to boot normally

This is where I'm at with this problem. Safe Mode allows me to boot to the desktop showing all of my icons and able to have access to My Documents which I need to backup somehow. I have 84gb worth of data to backup and I don't have access to anything on that scale so resolving this to where I could boot into windows and hook my laptop up over a network and transfer all of my data through the network would be my only way as far as I can see.

I know this is a long post and I'm sure it will drive some readers away. I'm sorry it had to be this long, I tried to go into as much detail to provide you guys with to help get this resolved. Trying to resolve this problem has been my weekend so far.

Thanks
Evan

Evan20x

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Still searching for answers.

Only solution I see is to get a sata to usb cord or enclosure and backup my data on the laptop then format it and see if it fixes things. That's the only thing holding me back is my data.