Ps3 overheating problems

dem0n2o8

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hey I have a ps3 and it recently started overheating alot. I can only get about 20-30min of game play without it freezing on me.
this all started after my ps3 somehow unplugged itself while it was on the online loading screen for resident evil 5. now if it is about room temp, it will heat up really fast and sometimes my game wont even start. I've tried alot of things to fix it that didn't concern opening it including cleaning t with canned air and backing up the harddrive and rebooting it. I even tried putting it on ice. to try and keep it cool. any one know how to fix this?
(preferrably with out opening it.)
I'm getting tired of being bored.

I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons the PS3 was delayed was because the Cell would get too hot while trying to do both the work of the CPU and the GPU.

Has this happened with every game, even more simplistic ones? Or just RE5?

I agree taking it to a certified repair center. Most likely you will have to return it.

BTW, i googled your problem and have found a few others with the problem. This one stuck out a bit:

Hi guys, does any one have a PS3 that is over heating? the first one I had was doing that. I spoke to Sony and they told me that their has been many complaints about that. They tried to tell me that it could be a problem with the fan. However, they also told me that they would replace the PS3 with a new on if you are having that prblem. They also told me that it would take ship 3-5 business days after they receive the damaged unit for you to get the new one.

This happened a bit ago (found it on the gamespot forums) but still might have a few units that have a bad fan or it may be a rising problem. I would call Sony and see what they say.

trimoto

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
i would try a fan test, it should blow any dust out of ur system. thats what i did and my system works fine now