NEED HELP FOR OVERCLOCKING

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I'm about to upgrade my graphics card from a crappy little HD 4350 to a GTX 460 in 2 weeks, and I just want to try overclocking my 4350 for fun since it performs so badly in games. If it breaks then it's okay because I'll be changing my card really soon, but it would still be safer to have it not break. Since this is my first time, can anyone give me a sort of beginner's guide on overclocking, e.g. what is overclocking (haha), what it does, if it has a huge impact, if it damages your hardware and also what software to use?? Thanks!

Solution
Voltage tweaks simply allow the GPU core to operate at higher voltages, which allows for increase in clock speed higher than those possible at stock voltages.Some manufacturers bundle software with their cards that allow for voltage tweaks.Other options include rewriting the bios of the GPU as well a soldering the voltage regulators in the card.
Simply...

Overclocking = running your graphics card's GPU at higher speeds than it is rated at, i.e., an HD 5870 runs at 850 MHz stock, overclocking it would be running it any speed >850 MHz.

Overclocking normally increases performance, and only has a really noticeably performance boost with a overclock of greater than 50 MHz, generally speaking.

It may damage your hardware if the temperatures are too high or you overvolt the GPU too much.

You can use ATi Overdrive for a limited overclock, after that probably the AMD GPU Clock Tool.

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

I've been hearing a lot about voltage during an overclock... I basically understand stuff such as the GPU temperature, the core clock (mHz), but I don't get what the voltage is... ASUS actually has voltage tweak cards that they claim to increase performance by 50%... but what's the real deal about voltage? And what's the difference between a factory overclocked card, a reference card, a card you overclock yourself, and a factory overclocked card that you overclock further (in terms of durability and value for money)? Sorry about the large number fo questions but I'm new to this and really confused... thanks a lot for the help!

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Voltage is only needed if you're going to overclock by much, lets say, by 100-200 MHz or more. Because then your card will need more power to be stable and that's when you have to increase voltage for your card.

A factory overclocked is a card that has been overclocked at a factory, a reference card is just a normal card, running at the normal clocks for the card, a card you overclock yourself is the same as if the factory would have overclocked it, sometimes the factory cards overclock better though, because they have better cooling solutions for example.

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

But what actually happens when you increase the voltage (and how can you increase it?) ? does the PSU give more juice to the card or what?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Voltage tweaks simply allow the GPU core to operate at higher voltages, which allows for increase in clock speed higher than those possible at stock voltages.Some manufacturers bundle software with their cards that allow for voltage tweaks.Other options include rewriting the bios of the GPU as well a soldering the voltage regulators in the card.

Solution

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Okay.... thanks :) and a final question: Is the 1GB version of the GTX 460 worth the extra cash over the 768MB version if I'm gaming at 1680x1050? Will there be any noticeable differences between the 2 at that res?