Sign in with
Your question

The age old question: amd vs intel

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2009 2:11:30 AM

I'm starting the process of throwing together a new gaming rig and i need some help catching up to the cpu arms race.
Sofar I'm looking at a gforce GTX 285 and probably 6 gigs of ram. which brings me to the cpu the i7 920 for $290 or the Phenom II X4 940 for $190 cought my eyes and thats where I grinded to a hault trying to sift throguh the truths/myths of these guys.

Now again this is gona to be mostly a gaming rig and while cost is important(im not looking to drop 3k on this thing) im not against throwing up a couple of hundred extra if the boost is worthwile. also overclocking isnt an issue I never could get into it.

More about : age question amd intel

April 18, 2009 3:14:24 AM

bulldogc said:
I'm starting the process of throwing together a new gaming rig and i need some help catching up to the cpu arms race.
Sofar I'm looking at a gforce GTX 285 and probably 6 gigs of ram. which brings me to the cpu the i7 920 for $290 or the Phenom II X4 940 for $190 cought my eyes and thats where I grinded to a hault trying to sift throguh the truths/myths of these guys.

Now again this is gona to be mostly a gaming rig and while cost is important(im not looking to drop 3k on this thing) im not against throwing up a couple of hundred extra if the boost is worthwile. also overclocking isnt an issue I never could get into it.

Stock speed gaming benchmarks: http://www.techspot.com/review/137-amd-phenom2-x4-940-920/page12.html

Overclocked gaming benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii,2119-8.html

Since you're already paying a high premium for the GTX 285, you might as well buy a Core i7 920 too. If you went with something like a 4870 1GB, then saving money with a Phenom would've made sense.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 3:33:03 AM

Wait for dragonsprayer and engima to post their price comparisons and start arguing. Then decide based on which fanboy scares you the least.
Related resources
April 18, 2009 3:39:47 AM

Yes. Enigma will remind you that a i7 cost $1100 and that AMD's weakest Phenom II smashes it, and dragonsprayer will explain to you why i7 is the comming of Christ in about 3-5 post with irrelevent pictures.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 3:49:24 AM

It's so painfully true.
April 18, 2009 4:50:00 AM

AMD for gaming,Intel for video editing etc,BTW,,there lots of reviews out there check 'em out very interesting..:) 
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2009 4:55:32 AM

I would say AMD or Intel for gaming, since it doesn't make a great deal of difference either way. If video editing is critical for you then Core i7 is unmatched, but Phenom II and Core 2 are fine for most people.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 18, 2009 6:14:37 AM

I'd go with the i7, honestly. It is the faster CPU in several ways, and although games aren't really using this extra capacity right now (so games will run similarly on both for now), future games should run better on the i7, the i7 seems better for SLI if you wanted that possibility, and the i7 runs faster on all non-gaming tasks. If you're building with that high of a budget anyways, you might as well go with the better CPU. The Phenom is also an excellent CPU, but it is better suited to budget builds.
April 18, 2009 7:57:58 AM

i7 gives you more upgrade paths and amd saves you a buck or two.

if you use your PC purely for gaming then get a phenom II 955 and put in a few 4890's overclocked as far as you can go, I think asus is getting a new cooling system reading for the 4890 so clocks can go above 1ghz which will give you better than gtx 285 performance.

otherwise spare a few bucks on the gfx and get an i7 build.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 18, 2009 12:37:57 PM

cjl said:
I'd go with the i7, honestly. It is the faster CPU in several ways, and although games aren't really using this extra capacity right now (so games will run similarly on both for now), future games should run better on the i7, the i7 seems better for SLI if you wanted that possibility, and the i7 runs faster on all non-gaming tasks. If you're building with that high of a budget anyways, you might as well go with the better CPU. The Phenom is also an excellent CPU, but it is better suited to budget builds.

That is good comparsion I like. If you are heck and gosh darn bent to run SLI, I would certainly go for an i7 build, because there is no way in world I would ever buy a board with an nVidia chipset. But you are talking about a pretty big cash layout. If you run a 24+ inch monitor, and want to really crank things up full tilt, and have deep pockets.....gotta go that route.

If you have shallow pockets, just want something that will run games really well with a single video card, or even maybe one day throw another card in for Crossfire, then Phenom II is a fine choice.
April 18, 2009 2:39:59 PM

Under 1k - PII
Over 1k - i7

Nvidia chipsets suck.
April 19, 2009 1:16:14 PM

ok so intel it is then, now the more important question, think an 850W power supply will cut it or should i go for 950 or 1k? unlikely to have more then 3 drive devices running at once and maybe 2 or 3 usb devices on top of the above mentioned gforce and i7
April 19, 2009 2:03:55 PM

850W should be fine, make sure its CF/SLI supported for future dual GPU potential.
April 19, 2009 2:35:57 PM

spathotan said:
Yes. Enigma will remind you that a i7 cost $1100 and that AMD's weakest Phenom II smashes it, and dragonsprayer will explain to you why i7 is the comming of Christ in about 3-5 post with irrelevent pictures.

This comment is so painfully full of win, actually this entire thread is.

a c 108 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 19, 2009 3:15:16 PM

nVidia chipsets for AM2+ AMD are not bad but they seem to have dropped a bit from their performance pinnacle in the ol' s939 nf4 days. The price premium for their top chips for AMD is not really worth it IMO, and it's even worse for s775 (though there seem to be some nice deals from time-to-time).

That said - you are not going to gain a great deal of return throwing more and more money at your cpu/mobo.

$300+/- seems to be the price point for a Q9xx-s775, PhII-790x or PhII-750 (SLI) mobo/cpu combo. At 16x10 (or even 19x12) this will give you plenty of 'jam' now and for the future.

You will never beat Moore's Law. Buy now for what you need. Hardware (cpu & gpu) will always be faster, cheaper and more capable just down the road.

Anand Benchies
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3506&p=3

I'm too lazy to search for any gtx285 benchies - :lol: 
!