3rd (hopefully last) homebuilt system

jtbroussard

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Im currently working on a build that will hopefully be my last or atleast my last for a good while. In doing this i want a hardcore rig to some extent. I have built 2 rigs in the past but the parts i had easily got outdated within a year. I know this is to be expected but anyways this is what i have thought of so far:

Case:
Antec Twelve-Hundred
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

my last build i had the 900 so when i saw this I knew I must get it.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131331

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182030

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103057

Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001268

Ram:
This is completely open to suggestions, I have bought many types in the past and I am un-biased.

I am open to any suggestions the only part that I really am stuck on is the case since I had the 900 and worked really well for me.

Also it doesnt matter AMD or Intel and same with graphics.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I plan on buying these parts over the next few months and hope to spend max of 1500.

Yikes.

Cooler Master HAF Better than the 1200, better price too. More room, better cable management, better cooling.

Absolutely NO on the Rosewill PSU. get something decent.
PC P&C 750W Just buy that now. Really. It's discounted because it's red. When they are gone they are gone. Buy now.

I don't get the video card link at all. You say you want a good rig.... anyway, here's a good card:
Sapphire 4870 1GB

As to the MB/CPU, have a look at the link in my sig, then decide.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

I'd say check in with Proximon's sig, he makes some very good suggestions.
In addition, since you're going with a discrete video card, I'd suggest a Q9550 and a P45 board which is the same price as the Phenom II 940 and a 790GX but overclocks better and performs better as well (this is a known fact, there's benchmarks everywhere if you don't belive me).

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
uhh... are you an AMD fanboi? if you're looking for future proofing, grab a core i7, X58, 2x3GB RAM, and IMO, a 4870, since unlike SLI, you can pair this down the road with something like a 4870X2, whereas with SLI down the track you can only get matched GPUs... ie GTX 260+another 260 later

be aware that nothing is futureproof. by this time next year we will ahve 6 or 8 core nehalems, uber powerful GPUs...

times change dude. but AMD AM2 is certainly nto future proof atm. AM3 might be, but you'll have to wait a bit for that.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

You're dreaming.

A little more realistic (read: do-able).

I second the suggestions of P45 and Q9550 as well as a good PSU (PC P&C, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic) and an ATI HD 48x0 card or nVidia GTX 2x0.

thrule01

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
"I know it wont be the last computer i build/purchase i am just hoping this one holds me over for longer than my other builds.

Also why do you recommend the q9550 or the i7?"

posting for jtbroussard...hes my bro and at work...

The Q9550 is faster than the PII 940 in most people's tests, as of course the Q9650 or i7 920 would be.

There are excellent arguments for all 3 platforms, really.
LGA 775 is plenty fast enough and saves you money on RAM and MB that can go towards GPU(s). You aren't going to see any new chipsets for this and you won't see many new CPUs, as it's nearing the end of it''s life.
LGA 1366 is the fastest, and most X58 boards support both SLI and crossfire. It's going to be around a bit longer than LGA 775, but plans are in place for the next socket.
AM2+ boards are supposedly compatible with AM3... what exactly this will mean is not clear to me. It may only be partial compatibility with some AM3 CPUs... regardless, this socket has some longevity and competes well with the LGA 775 CPUs.

So, if you need a quad core and can afford it, i7 is the best. AMD PII is not a bad choice either.

If you really only need a dual core, as many do, LGA 775 is best.

thrule01

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
As far as i know it will be mainly for gaming and surfing machine....and maybe eventually used to watch movies etc....

I know he plans to get Starcraft 2, Diablo3 and a few others. Right now only games is WoW, Counterstrike and other valve games.....

jtbroussard

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
i have looked at everyone's suggestions and this is my revised build list

case is toss up b/w
Cool Master HAF
and
Antec 1200

Mobo
Asus P6T

CPU
i7 920

Video Card
Sapphire 1GL

PSU (bought)
PC Power & Cooling

Ram (undecided really) my thoughts now are b/w this and same level G. Skill
Corsair Dominator

Other than this i have a basic HP dvd burner.

I need opinions on a cpu fan and monitor.

As for a monitor I am looking for something around 22". I have had a Samsung 20" in the past so I know those to be very good. But also they tend to be a little pricey.

On another note, I eventually do play on getting a blu-ray driving being that i have on my ps3 right now i dont necessarly need another but this is almost a 90% possible upgrade. Also as far as gaming goes as of now the only games I really play are WOW, Counterstrike and other valve games, Doom3. But I plan on getting Diablo3, Starcraft2, and possibly even Crysis if i get bored with this others.

Oakley707

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Just thought I would add my $.02. I just recently purchased a Samsung 24" monitor from Sam's Club for $279 that does full HD 1920X1200 resolution. I play many games on my monitor, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect, NFSU, Crysis Warhead, all look great on the monitor. I noticed you mentioned you were getting BluRay. If that is the case I recommend this 24" because it will display the full image. I have downloaded some 1080P content and it looks incredible. Keep in mind the monitor has two inputs one of which is DVI which you could easily hook up HDMI to your PS3. For the price, it is going to be hard to beat. Just thought I would let you know...

jtbroussard

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Yea I was thinking on the 24" for the HDMI input. Also the specs are noticably better than that of the 22". I will just have to keep my eye on them to see if the price drops any more haha.

Thanks for you 2 cents

jtbroussard

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Yea i was thinking that one or this one
320Gig

Same thing but cheaper. I dont really need the 680g b/c I already have a 500 external drive.

Also changed graphics to
XFX 4870

As for a monitor im planning on this dell HD from sam's.
23"

I know there are cheaper ones (and probably better) online but with that if you get a DOA or dead pixals you have to deal with shipping back and hoping the new one works.

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Seems strange, you said you wanted this to last a long time but the parts chosen are old and weak hardware. I'd suggest more research before going through with your purchase, decent suggestions have been said here but overall I think you need to research more on what hardware is relevant at this time. Also, how would this be your 'last' computer, do you plan on dying soon?=x

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I think he was referring to your original build, anyone who says a P6T/920/Dominator/4870 1GB is old or weak right now needs their head checked.

Edit: Ironically, it's very similar to his own X58/920/Dominator/GTX 260 (but better, in almost all scenarios).

jtbroussard

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I might want to clarify this thread's title, I honestly dont expect this to be the last computer i build i was just joking since this is the 3rd one in 4-5 years i have built.

I need help on choosing a graphics card. Im pretty sure i want to get a 4870 but im not sure which brand to go with. I was looking at the XFX brand but the reviews were not that great for it on newegg. So i would just like people's opinion.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has ordered a monitor via newegg and if so were their any complications (DOA, Dead pixals) and how the condition of the box was when it arrived. I am wondering about this b/c I found that dell at sams but its only a 22" when i can get a 24" off newegg for under 250.

Thanks for the help.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I've had luck 3 times with Sapphire, I would stick with them or PowerColor, Asus or Gigabyte (although Newegg doesn't carry a 1GB version). XFX is very new to the ATI game, so I'd steer clear for the time being (even though they have an outstanding reputation because of their long history with nvidia products).

thrule01

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
yea i have an xfx nvidia card thats why i thought it would be good...ive heard nothing bad about sapphire, asus, gigabyte...

we use the visiontek cards at the office here

TRENDING THREADS