Are Laptop Hard Drives Mobile?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Laptops
  • Mobile
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2010 12:20:58 AM

Just bought a new laptop its the acer aspire 5538. It says it has a hard drive installed not an SSD.

So my questions is, is it ok to walk around with the laptop from room-to-room without causing damage to the hard drive while the platter is spinning.

Wouldn't you think the hard drives in laptops are specially designed so that you can move the laptops while its turned on?

More about : laptop hard drives mobile

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 23, 2010 1:42:03 AM

You'd think so wouldn't you ? But I suspect the technology is no different from desktop drives and doubtless the failure rate among laptop drives reflects that.

Probably what saves the situation most of the time is the sort of Bernoulli effect which means that the read/write heads float above the disc surface so long as the drive turns at the required speed for the heads to 'fly'. The mass of the heads is small enough that normal movement of the laptop wouldn't affect flight.

But I wouldn't go pounding your laptop in frustration or chucking it onto a tabletop or a crash is likely.
m
l
July 23, 2010 10:55:33 PM

Thank you for you response.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 11:50:06 PM

Just make sure you carry it with both hands and don't jump, and it should be fine.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 24, 2010 9:00:42 AM

I'd forgotten that some laptops, notably IBM models, had a motion sensor which, when triggered, would park the drive heads off the disc surface. This was meant to save the drive in the event of it dropping onto the ground. Perhaps not enough to protect from more sudden events.
m
l
July 24, 2010 9:52:16 AM

Quote:
I'd forgotten that some laptops, notably IBM models, had a motion sensor which, when triggered, would park the drive heads off the disc surface. This was meant to save the drive in the event of it dropping onto the ground. Perhaps not enough to protect from more sudden events.

Example: Lightning Storms, Laptops equal Mobile lightning rods.

Don't carry your laptop outside in stormy weather while using it at the same time.

Kind of a given but, yea.
m
l
July 24, 2010 2:34:45 PM

I'm no engineer, but the way I understand specifications, yes laptop hard drive are more robust than their desktop counterpart. From WD website:

WD Black 3.5" :

Operating Shock (Read) 30G, 2 ms
Non-operating Shock 300G, 2 ms

WD Black Scorpio 2.5"

Operating Shock (Read) 350G, 2ms
Non-operating Shock 1000G, 2 ms
m
l
!