Sign in with
Your question

Best ways to learn

Last response: in Overclocking
July 15, 2010 8:24:58 PM

i want to learn the basics of overclocking. So i read over the nice guides posted here on the forumshttp://www.tomsguide.com/us/forum/259903-7-overclocking-benchmarking-guides and they are alittle intimidating. I was thinking about first trying to oc my 5770 with the msi afterburner software and then after i have a good feel for that move on to my CPU and Memory because they appear to be more difficult.

Here is my current machine:
GPU: xfx 5770 1gb
POWER SUPPLY: 650 watt xfx xxx edition
CPU: AMD athlon 5600+
RAM: 4gb of ram
-windows 7 64bit professional
-crappy case

Questions:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/10/12/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5770_5750_review/7 Here some one Basicly max out the core speed and memory speed on a 5770 is that normal to be able to do on a 5770? Are they putting the card serious at risk with it running at 89 C under load?

I was wondering if their is a general rule of thumb for over clocking GPU or CPU as far as temps go? For example don't go over 90 C under load on a gpu?

Any general advice? or comments?

thanks for you assistance and advice

More about : ways learn

July 16, 2010 10:59:14 AM

I'm not good at guides...

Start with the CPU. Overclocking a GPU is easier due to software, but more difficult due to GPUs being more sensitive to temperature issues.

Also, how much performance a GPU delivers is determined by how quickly the system bus can feed it data to work with, so you will probably see better results from CPU overclocking - done by increasing the speed of the system bus.

89ÂșC under load is 'normal' for bigger graphics cards, though for me it is WAY too high. When I got an 8800GTS a few years back I nearly had a heart attack when I saw its temps... What you should do is to up the CPU speed until you stop seeing an improvement (i.e. the improvement gained is slight, or the temperature increases are too high for performance gained), then start pushing the graphics card. If/when temps become a concern, and if you're playing with voltages they WILL, then you will need to increase the size of the heatsinks or (far better) water cool the suckers.

Increase the bus speed in 5MHz increments each time, through the BIOS. The moment the overclock goes unstable, increase the voltage by one or two increments, then push the bus again.

With the GPU, you can use the provided software. Increase core clock by 20MHz per step, and TEST AFTER EVERY INCREASE. The moment you see artifacts (random coloured pixels, colours wrong, blocks of garbage, you'll know it when you see it) then STEP BACK IMMEDIATELY.

Changing the voltage on a GPU is a SWINE of a task, but it is doable - if you're handy with a soldering iron and a pencil. If you get artifacts, then you're at the card's limits, barring a (very complicated and involved) volt mod. Again - change the voltage, upgrade the cooling by a large margin.

Hope this helps...
July 16, 2010 11:09:28 AM

Remember that lower temps help a card's lifespan.

I'd say play it safe at 60C load.
Related resources
July 16, 2010 11:05:40 PM

So with out over clocking my card is maxing at 72 C under load. I think most of the heat has to do with my case being terrible(old hp case). So i don't think i am going to touch it until i upgrade the case/cooling.
July 16, 2010 11:45:09 PM

I would perfere to go with water cooling but not your first few times. If you want to learn on how to see or feel danger sign before it getts too bad i would start with an old computer and work your way up... If you do it on an new computer and you screwed up to the point you have to replace it. The price for a new computer it alot more then buying old computer from people around your neighbourhood.
July 17, 2010 11:21:33 AM

These temps, are they under load or idle? When overclocking, you have to consider the temperature of the piece in question after it has been under load for a while. Every piece of equipment has its temperature maximum, for example, the AM3 Phenom II 1055t's max temp is 62 Degrees, but then again it shouldn't be pushed beyond 55 Degrees.

When raising FSB speeds for overclocking your CPU, also realize that you are overclocking many other things as well, such as your motherboard chipset, RAM, etc. When hitting stability issues (artifacts, crashing, etc), raising voltage also helps, but more voltage also means more heat. Find your equilibrium and roll with it.
!