Sign in with
Your question

Hotswappable Hardrive docks

Last response: in Storage
July 23, 2010 1:59:43 AM

Does anyone know of any harddrive docks/adapters/anything that can connect both ide and sata harddrives and is hotswappable? hopefully it has 2 docks/connectors to allow for both of my harddrives to run at the same time. im looking for something like this, but slightly cheaper and can connect ide as well. i probably havent looked hard enough, but i dont think newegg, frozencpu or tigerdirect has anything like what im describing. if it helps, i'll be connecting the harddrives to a laptop running windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
July 23, 2010 6:28:42 AM

I've never heard of a dual SATA/IDE dock. I suspect you're going to have to buy two docks, which may not be a whole lot more expensive.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 23, 2010 3:37:55 PM

I've never seen one myself either. I'd have to agree with sminlal - I'd guess you'd need to buy two docks.
m
l
a c 117 G Storage
July 23, 2010 4:00:17 PM

Make sure that your motherboard and OS are setup for hotswap. Not all hotswap devices are made equal. I do not think IDE will allow you to hotswap devices easily, although I think there are bays that can allow that by shutting off the drive in a specific way.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 23, 2010 4:09:10 PM

The more I think of it, IDE cannot be hot-swap, can it? I thought this was a function of AHCI, etc. I thought there were issues trying to unplug and IDE drive while connected.
m
l
a c 117 G Storage
July 23, 2010 4:12:44 PM

huron said:
The more I think of it, IDE cannot be hot-swap, can it? I thought this was a function of AHCI, etc. I thought there were issues trying to unplug and IDE drive while connected.

This is going from several years back so my memory may be wrong, but I do think there are drive bays that setup a second connection inside them to the IDE connection on the motherboard that stays active once you remove the drive. There is a shut off key you need to use that disconnects the drive power and connection to the drive bay while the bay itself maintains the signal to the IDE on the system.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 23, 2010 7:03:49 PM

I guess that is possible, but I thought IDE had issues when you tried to remove it when the system was on. The IDE trays that I have always used required a shutdown to remove the drives.
m
l
!